PDA

View Full Version : Antenna help!

GMac
04-17-2013, 02:47 PM
I took my 16 year old for a ride this afternoon because it was beautiful out. He's been out with me before, but for some reason, this time he decided to swing his foot over the back of the bike to get off :yikes:. :gaah: :banghead:

NOT a good idea!!

He broke the antenna completely. I removed the cover as well and put that and the broken antenna in the frunk for the rest of the ride.

So now I have a vehicle that's just over two weeks old with no antenna. I generally listen to my iPod anyway, but I really want the option to listen to radio if I feel like it.

What are my options? Just a replacement through the dealer (I'm guessing that won't be cheap)? Aftermarket somewhere - and if so, any suggestions? Also, I'm NOT mechanically inclined (I'm the exact opposite - to give you an idea, I was able to install the Seal floorboards myself but am not brave enough to tackle the swaybar until I have some help!). If it's something I need to do, it has to be simple so please keep that in mind with any suggestions.

THANKS!!!!!! in advance... :bowdown:

Chupaca
04-17-2013, 02:52 PM
there are several threads on the subject. I believe many have gone to the shorty antenna and get them at walmart. Much depends on what was broken..good luck..!! :thumbup:

scooterexpress
04-17-2013, 02:52 PM
if the base is still intact just buy a shortee ant..will need a offset wrench to unscrew the old ant from the base pretty easy took like less then 5mins for me.

GMac
04-17-2013, 03:15 PM
there are several threads on the subject. I believe many have gone to the shorty antenna and get them at walmart. Much depends on what was broken..good luck..!! :thumbup:

...but when I do a search on walmart.com, I don't get any hits. I just don't want to buy the wrong thing (which is easy to do - a little knowledge can be extremely dangerous and I have VERY little knowledge!!). I'll have to just drive down there and see if they have something.

Thank you!!

ARtraveler
04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident with the antenna.

WalMart has had a shorty antenna for around $10.00, and it does work. It has all kinds of adaptive hardware that goes with it. Check in their auto department.

A replacement stock antenna is about $75.00.

Lamonster
04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
The threads are M6. I picked up a flex one at an auto parts store for 10 bucks.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/901597_531886983521244_1793494487_o.jpg

chisel_maker
04-17-2013, 04:12 PM
...but when I do a search on walmart.com, I don't get any hits. I just don't want to buy the wrong thing (which is easy to do - a little knowledge can be extremely dangerous and I have VERY little knowledge!!). I'll have to just drive down there and see if they have something.

Thank you!!

This is the walmart antenna. Works Great
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RMA900-Replacement-Car-Antenna/16652627

GMac
04-17-2013, 05:47 PM
I took my 16 year old for a ride this afternoon because it was beautiful out. He's been out with me before, but for some reason, this time he decided to swing his foot over the back of the bike to get off :yikes:. :gaah: :banghead:

NOT a good idea!!

He broke the antenna completely. I removed the cover as well and put that and the broken antenna in the frunk for the rest of the ride.

So now I have a vehicle that's just over two weeks old with no antenna. I generally listen to my iPod anyway, but I really want the option to listen to radio if I feel like it.

What are my options? Just a replacement through the dealer (I'm guessing that won't be cheap)? Aftermarket somewhere - and if so, any suggestions? Also, I'm NOT mechanically inclined (I'm the exact opposite - to give you an idea, I was able to install the Seal floorboards myself but am not brave enough to tackle the swaybar until I have some help!). If it's something I need to do, it has to be simple so please keep that in mind with any suggestions.

THANKS!!!!!! in advance... :bowdown:

I went down to our local WalMart and found one there (at everyone's suggestion). When I came home to take off the old one (it was broken off right at the base) I found that the offset wrenches I had wouldn't work (not small enough) so I made another trip, this time to the auto parts store. They let me take some wrenches outside to try them until I found one that was the right size so I came home, removed it and was able to get the new one installed ($9.00 for the antenna and $7.00 for the wrench - a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the stock one).

It works like a champ!

On a side note, my son was told that if he kicks this one off it will get shoved somewhere he doesn't like (I was kidding - kind of).

Thank you again - as always, everyone's help here is invaluable.

GMac
04-17-2013, 05:54 PM
This is the walmart antenna. Works Great
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RMA900-Replacement-Car-Antenna/16652627

I thought I was looking for one that was actually a brand name of "shortee" when I did the search (shows how much I know!!).

soepy
04-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Mine snapped off when I was installing cover. BRP replaced free of charge. That's why we have warranty guys. Good luck. I have a 2011 rts.

GMac
04-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Mine snapped off when I was installing cover. BRP replaced free of charge. That's why we have warranty guys. Good luck. I have a 2011 rts.

But I didn't figure clumsy big footed teenagers would be covered. I actually kind of like the shorter one - I don't have to bend the taller one down so I can put the cover over it every time now.

Thanks!!

bh164
04-18-2013, 08:53 PM
The threads are M6. I picked up a flex one at an auto parts store for 10 bucks.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/901597_531886983521244_1793494487_o.jpg it works great very flexible kick it all day long lol...:2thumbs: