PDA

View Full Version : micron exhaust

agito
05-11-2008, 10:14 AM
has anyone else had a hard time w/ installing the 90 w/ the to connections 1. from the existing connection under bike and the micron pipe, I could not get it to seal tight on either area I even replaced the ring but to much air leaks through both main connection and to the pipe also have tightened clamps as tight as I could but can still slide pipe off of 90 i even had a custom ring made to no avail . any advise or does anyone want to buy a brand new micron pipe and 90 thanks Glenn

Rando
05-11-2008, 10:48 AM
I had a problem with getting the old gasket out. Try sliding the clamp more towards the joint, it worked for me!

Putt-Putt
05-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Mine went on like a dream, no problems at all. Well except one. After putting it on I got back and looked at it from the rear. The muffler was at a slight angle. So l Loosened the muffler clamp, now to loosen the hanger bolt that goes into the foot peg bracket. Well for some reason the nut froze on to the bolt. And let me tell you Stainless is tuff. I couldn't get it off or back tight for love or money. So we got the old impact gun out and had at it. And that took awhile till finally the bolt broke. So now I put a new Stainless bolt and lock nut. Went on fine just like the first one. Guess what same thing all over again. So whats with that? Now I put another Stainless bolt in but this time I used a regular steel nut & lock washer hope that works. I have no idea as to why both times the nut like welded to the bolt. And they were not cross threaded. Oh don't take off the old gasket it fits right over it thats why you have the leak.

SpyderMark
05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
has anyone else had a hard time w/ installing the 90 w/ the to connections 1. from the existing connection under bike and the micron pipe, I could not get it to seal tight on either area I even replaced the ring but to much air leaks through both main connection and to the pipe also have tightened clamps as tight as I could but can still slide pipe off of 90 i even had a custom ring made to no avail . any advise or does anyone want to buy a brand new micron pipe and 90 thanks Glenn

The connection between the 90 degree pipe and the Micron exhaust can is a slip joint; it's intended to give a little as the system expands and contracts with heating and cooling. If you insert the can all the way on the 90 before tightening the clamp you shouldn't get any leaks there even if you can still move the can. The bolt supports the can and prevents it from sliding off the pipe. If you ARE getting leaks there, you should get in touch with the vendor who sold you the product.

The connection from the 90 degree pipe to the Spyder should be tight enough not to move -- or leak. The 90 degree pipe has relief cuts in the end to allow it to slip over the exhaust header. If you slip the pipe over the exhaust header before installing the gasket you'll notice the relief cuts are longer than the portion of the header that slips inside the pipe. The gasket must be all the way inside the 90 degree pipe to the ends of those relief cuts.

To ensure this during installation, the gasket goes in the end of the 90 degree pipe before slipping it over the Spyder's exhaust header. That way, when pushing the 90 degree pipe onto the exhaust header you will force the gasket all the way inside the pipe to the ends of the relief cuts. If you put the gasket on the exhaust header first (the easiest way to install it), the 90 degree pipe will force it all the way onto the header instead of inside the 90 degree pipe. This will leave the ends of the relief cuts in the 90 degree pipe unsealed allowing hot exhaust gases to escape. Ask me how I know...

As another poster suggested, you can slide the clamp away from the exhaust header to cover the ends of the relief cuts, but you won't get a leak-free seal using this method. At best, you will ensure any leaking gas exits parellel to the pipe instead of directly outward. Any hot exhaust escaping this joint can be hazardous -- exhaust gases can exceed 1,500 degrees F.

Regards,

Mark

bjt
05-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Mine went on like a dream, no problems at all. Well except one. After putting it on I got back and looked at it from the rear. The muffler was at a slight angle. So l Loosened the muffler clamp, now to loosen the hanger bolt that goes into the foot peg bracket. Well for some reason the nut froze on to the bolt. And let me tell you Stainless is tuff. I couldn't get it off or back tight for love or money. So we got the old impact gun out and had at it. And that took awhile till finally the bolt broke. So now I put a new Stainless bolt and lock nut. Went on fine just like the first one. Guess what same thing all over again. So whats with that? Now I put another Stainless bolt in but this time I used a regular steel nut & lock washer hope that works. I have no idea as to why both times the nut like welded to the bolt. And they were not cross threaded. Oh don't take off the old gasket it fits right over it thats why you have the leak.

Maybe you put a little too much torque on the bolt and nut and stretched the threads on one or both of them. Then they would end up being permanently stuck together.

Putt-Putt
05-19-2008, 09:11 PM
I don't know what the problem is with the nylon ss lock nut & ss bolt. Since I put on a standard nut no problems. Seems like the nylon was binding in the treads. I never had this problem before. I've used nylon lock nuts for years. :dontknow:

LittleJohn
05-20-2008, 07:58 AM
I don't know what the problem is with the nylon ss lock nut & ss bolt. Since I put on a standard nut no problems. Seems like the nylon was binding in the treads. I never had this problem before. I've used nylon lock nuts for years. :dontknow:

This is just a guess mind you, but nylon locknuts are not usually used in high temp applications for exactly this reason. There are steel locknuts (basically a nut with the threads slightly "squished" out of round) and other various solutions to alleviate this.

Magic Man
05-20-2008, 03:03 PM
This is just a guess mind you, but nylon locknuts are not usually used in high temp applications for exactly this reason. There are steel locknuts (basically a nut with the threads slightly "squished" out of round) and other various solutions to alleviate this.

The nylock nut he is referring to is not used in any high temp applications in this set up. It is used to hold the band clamp to the foot peg bracket. Inasmuch as stainless steel is a softer metal than the grade 5 or 8 bolts most people are used to dealing with, it is most likely a case of too great of a torque have been put on the nut and bolt. When this is done it can distort the threads which will cause them to "lock up" when they are attempted to be loosened.

3_WHEELER_DEALER
06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
were can i buy these micron systems ?

Putt-Putt
06-10-2008, 01:59 PM
From the guy that just posted befor you Magic Man. And I will say nobody better to deal with than him.

hawkiii
06-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Folks, I purchased a Micron and 90 from Magic Man. You can not find a better operation for customer
service. You buy from Magic Man, he will take care of you. In fact, every vendor listed on the home page
here is a class operation. I don't think Lamonster would have it any other way.