PDA

View Full Version : new member. tons of questions

Questions
04-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Hey all, just found this forum and im glad i did. I bought a 2012 RS-S towards the end of last season :thumbup: Before i brought it home i had the dealer put on the bacrest, hindle exhaust, k&n air filter and juicebox. Yesterday I removed all the fenders and I love the way it looks. My question is... Has anyone else removed their fender and if so what are the pros and cons of doing so?...question 2....has anybody taken off their e-brake?.. The reason i ask is im having a custom plate bracket made and i want to clean up that side of the tire and the set up for the brake is very bulky...... Look forward to hearing your responses. :yes:

asp125
04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Front fender removal = road grime and spray getting kicked up in your face and on the Spyder. Turn that handlebar one way and see where that inside wheel points. Just avoid riding on dirty roads and avoid the rain and puddles and dog poop. ;)

Or you could black out the fenders or cover them in fake carbon fiber decals.

E-brake removal, other than loss of functionality, shouldn't be a problem. Motorcycles aren't equipped with ebrakes. Just pop it in first gear or reverse when stopped.

Bob Denman
04-15-2013, 12:48 PM
:welcome: It's always great to hear what folks have planned for their Spyders! :thumbup: I agree with the caution about grime from the road getting kicked in your face; try it, and let us know if you decide to leave it that way. Now; :nopic:

jerpinoy
04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
:welcome:For questions use the search and you'll get your answers.

ctpaddler2000
04-15-2013, 12:57 PM
I know in Connecticut, the no fender setup in NOT legal. If you are planning to remove the e-brake, I assume you have a SM5 and not a SE5.

Bob Ledford
04-15-2013, 01:09 PM
My 2011 RTL needs the parking brake function to keep the "you forgot to engage the parking brake function, Stupid!" Beeper function when you go to remove the ignition key to walk away from it. how would you trick the nagging computer from nagging you to set the PB?

As far as removing the fenders. Knock yourself out as long as I don't have to launder your nasty dirty clothes the first time you get caught in a rain storm. Another plus is that you won't rust when you follow a big rig that just had a lube job as the excess grease falls off his steering gear. Don't follow to close to a livestock hauler when crossing Kansas or Missouri either. That isn't rain blowing in your face!

you say the brakes look ugly. What about the steering linkage? All those tie rod ends and linkage bars are not fashion model quality either.

ARtraveler
04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
:welcome: I recommend caution on both mods you are considering.

asp125
04-15-2013, 01:15 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7257/7090629813_5f7fc3c8fb_z.jpg

Of course, there are times when the wheel tire combo is too large for fenders.. but then again I don't think their owners really ride much in the rain or for very long. (and it makes the brakes look positively tiny!)

Questions
04-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Front fender removal = road grime and spray getting kicked up in your face and on the Spyder. Turn that handlebar one way and see where that inside wheel points. Just avoid riding on dirty roads and avoid the rain and puddles and dog poop. ;)

Or you could black out the fenders or cover them in fake carbon fiber decals.

E-brake removal, other than loss of functionality, shouldn't be a problem. Motorcycles aren't equipped with ebrakes. Just pop it in first gear or reverse when stopped.

I took it out today for a little while. The spray coming from the front wheels didn't seem that bad. But when I take it on long hauls I will definitely put them back on. It's funny you said that about the carbon fiber. One of my goals this year is have those dark gray plastics hydro-dipped with the carbon fiber

Questions
04-15-2013, 01:25 PM
:welcome: It's always great to hear what folks have planned for their Spyders! :thumbup: I agree with the caution about grime from the road getting kicked in your face; try it, and let us know if you decide to leave it that way. Now; :nopic:

Love what you have done with yours.. I will post pics as soon as I get to my computer. For some reason i can't upload photos from my phone

Questions
04-15-2013, 01:27 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7257/7090629813_5f7fc3c8fb_z.jpg

Of course, there are times when the wheel tire combo is too large for fenders.. but then again I don't think their owners really ride much in the rain or for very long. (and it makes the brakes look positively tiny!)

SIIIICCCKKK!!! LOVE IT

ARtraveler
04-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Looks very nice. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Questions
04-15-2013, 01:42 PM
My 2011 RTL needs the parking brake function to keep the "you forgot to engage the parking brake function, Stupid!" Beeper function when you go to remove the ignition key to walk away from it. how would you trick the nagging computer from nagging you to set the PB?

As far as removing the fenders. Knock yourself out as long as I don't have to launder your nasty dirty clothes the first time you get caught in a rain storm. Another plus is that you won't rust when you follow a big rig that just had a lube job as the excess grease falls off his steering gear. Don't follow to close to a livestock hauler when crossing Kansas or Missouri either. That isn't rain blowing in your face!

you say the brakes look ugly. What about the steering linkage? All those tie rod ends and linkage bars are not fashion model quality either.

I haven't had a problem with not engaging the e-brake when parked. I just leave it in gear. I have the RS-S sm5. maybe that would be a problem with the .automatic. I personally love the way the front looks. Kinda reminds me of a prowler

retread
04-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Removing the ebrake should be okay, if you only remove the pedal. cable, and pivot arm...any more than that, and you'll lose your rear brake caliper. Hope it's a manual trans.

john

Bob Ledford
04-15-2013, 01:44 PM
I don't believe you have thought this totally through. Maybe you have though?

the brake backing or mounting plate has to be big enough to absorb the brake energy and heat generated by the braking application. Again I do not know if you are aware that the Spyder has one of better short stopping brake systems on them. Be sure that you and your machinist take that into consideration when doing the casting and milling processes.

Bob Denman
04-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Love what you have done with yours.. I will post pics as soon as I get to my computer.
Thanks! It's been a... :shocked:... project! ;) But totally worthwhile! :thumbup:

SPYD1
04-15-2013, 05:04 PM
:welcome:

Rockwall
04-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Spyders look pretty racey without the fenders. One of the Transformer movies featured one.

Questions
04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't believe you have thought this totally through. Maybe you have though?

the brake backing or mounting plate has to be big enough to absorb the brake energy and heat generated by the braking application. Again I do not know if you are aware that the Spyder has one of better short stopping brake systems on them. Be sure that you and your machinist take that into consideration when doing the casting and milling processes.

We were thinking the same thing. Figured i'd ask some questions about it before we tried it. We were also thinking of fabricating a cover for the brake assembly and using it for a mounting bracket for the license plate.