PDA

View Full Version : Aero Turbo charger

blambert
04-15-2013, 12:33 AM
Folks,

I need more speed to keep up with my BMW friends ( BMW GS and RT 1200 / 1600). I have already installed the Hindle exhaust, power commander, Kewl metal air intake and high performance plugs and spares wires. Only thing left That I can think is the Turbo mod, anyone have experience with one? what are the mechanical / electrical / performance pro's and cons of the Turbo and please no lectures on the need for more speed - let those who ride decide.

r1100rider
04-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Folks,

I need more speed to keep up with my BMW friends ( BMW GS and RT 1200 / 1600). I have already installed the Hindle exhaust, power commander, Kewl metal air intake and high performance plugs and spares wires. Only thing left That I can think is the Turbo mod, anyone have experience with one? what are the mechanical / electrical / performance pro's and cons of the Turbo and please no lectures on the need for more speed - let those who ride decide.
I rode BMW's for 25yr there is no way you are going to make a Spyder keep up there is 250 lbs diff more tire & wind friction those bikes are geared to run 135 all day long save your money or sell the Spyder you will blow it up trying to keep up

docdoru
04-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Folks,

This is not a lecture about the "need for speed" ;)
As much as I love the 1300S BMW engine, you may prep your Spyder RS with a turbo; however you must upgrade the pistons and rings, lower the compression and add a fuel pressure regulator. Then you have a chance to keep-up with the beamers...:thumbup:

retired1
04-15-2013, 08:19 AM
You should take what doc says pretty much as "gospel". The man has two or three years experience with the Aerocharger amd two or three engines, clutch setups,etc. Plus, he is a certified world record speed holder in his class. The machine he used, is his every day driver.
Now, if he can just avoid "traffic schools".:roflblack:

jerpinoy
04-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Not possible buds will not let you. :spyder2: and Bimmer are not racing buddies.

Bob Denman
04-15-2013, 12:22 PM
You should take what doc says pretty much as "gospel". The man has two or three years experience with the Aerocharger amd two or three engines, clutch setups,etc. Plus, he is a certified world record speed holder in his class. The machine he used, is his every day driver.
Now, if he can just avoid "traffic schools".:roflblack:
:agree: Doc knows turbos! :bowdown: :D

napper39
04-15-2013, 01:22 PM
as they said doc knows best,but there is one other doc doc hands also has one and his is moore stock than docdue,and last i heard from him hes had some proublems with his ,so check with him.the company is in overland park kansas ,i live just 35 miles from them ,i camt rember there name,but eather doc can tell you how to get in tuch with them.:2thumbs::chat:

blambert
04-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Aero charger is the company promoting the Turbo option for Can Am Spyders

http://aerocharger.com/motorcycle_kits.php

blambert
04-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Doc,

So you are saying that with the Aerocharger http://aerocharger.com/motorcycle_kits.phpTurbo modification I will also need to include changes in pistons, rings and lower compression

burg650
04-15-2013, 04:13 PM
If you do what Doc says you might keep up on a the straight, but on the turns 2 wheels will leave you every time. What it will ocst you as well to do it right you probable could buy a sport bike to stay with them.

Bob Denman
04-15-2013, 05:11 PM
There's not a thing wrong with trying though! :clap: :thumbup: When you're talking to the Aerocharger folks; could you check and see if they've finalized a kit for the RTs? The last time that I had looked; they were still developing it...

boborgera
04-15-2013, 05:34 PM
A turbo on a relativity stock Spyder won't increase your top speed,
But It will get you there quicker.......:clap:..

blambert
04-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Q: What is the stock horsepower that the Spyder engine produces?
A: Stock horsepower and torque to the wheels has been recorded as: 92HP and 63Ft Lbs of torque.

Q: What is the performance increase I can expect from my Aerocharged Spyder?
A: This turbo system will produce 140HP to the rear wheel right out of the box with room to add more boost. For more information see the dyno chart at the top of this page.

Q: How much does the turbo kit weigh?
A: The Aerocharger 53 Series turbo is approximately 10lbs, the charge tubes, intercooler, and additional Aerocharger components will add another 10-15LBS.

Q: What is this "Wide-Band" controller and gauge listed with the kit?
A: A Wide-Band oxygen sensor & digital gauge measures the Air/Fuel ratio. Monitoring Air/Fuel ratios ensure that your Spyder is running properly and safely at all times. Using this sensor and gauge eliminates the possibility of running too lean or too rich and possibly damaging the engine.

Q: Will the Aerocharger turbo kit fit on the new RTS Spyder?
A: Our kit will not bolt directly onto the Spyder RTS. However we are looking into the possibility of producing a kit specifically for the RTS. If you are in the KC metro area and have a new RTS please give us a call or stop by so we can provide the Spyder community with a solid answer. Check back for updates on the RTS fitment.

blambert
04-15-2013, 06:22 PM
You would be surprised with my 2011 RS with Baja rons anti sway and RT front shocks at 5 setting plus keeping your eyes well through the turn at high speed, the bike tracks pretty well especially going down hill - two wheelers dont like to go fast through the twists downhill - me, no problem in fact I like because gravity is helping, what I need it torque at the apex of the turn and for straight aways - There are still more mods out there to make this thing jump