PDA

View Full Version : Nanny Newbie!

summerdawn
04-14-2013, 08:22 PM
While riding today the Nanny activated for a couple of seconds. I was navigating a right hand curve that dipped down and around. I was going fast but not out of control. I didn't feel a wheel lift (do you feel a wheel lift?). I'm not sure why it happened. I was certainly surprised and I thought that something had broken on the bike for a moment. Why do you think the computer intervened?

NancysToy
04-14-2013, 08:50 PM
The Spyder monitors steering angle, steering torque, and the yaw. If it senses that your chosen steering input does not match the actual direction, it will apply the brakes individually to try to maintain your steering line. With an off-camber curve it can be easy to get a mismatch between the steering andgle and torque, or have more yaw than the steering angle would normally dictate. Miss Nanny kicks in subtly, and helps you do what you wanted to do. Only when things start to tip excessively will it cut back the engine...unless the back tire loses traction while you turn.

asp125
04-14-2013, 08:56 PM
When Ms Nanny b-slapped me in the face I thought I had broken my Spyder. It felt like it was misfiring until I realized what it was.

Bob Denman
04-15-2013, 06:52 AM
We like to complain about Nanny; but she does a pretty good job of keeping us from ending up someplace where we'd rather not be...:shocked: :thumbup:

missouriboy
04-15-2013, 07:11 AM
I've experienced Nanny just once. I was pulling out of a gas station in front of a crawling 18-wheeler to my left. I knew he was slowing to enter the truckstop beyond me, just to my right. Rather than wait for him I pulled on out and rolled-on the throttle so as not to make him brake his rig. Well, the blacktop there was too slick, no coarseness for traction, and my rear wheel spun out to the left... but Nanny fixed it quicker than I could ever react and straightened me up in the lane so I could move on out, never interfering with the trucker. Now, if I had spun out and ended up stopped sideways, facing the curb, that trucker would have had to dump the air big time.

Be thankful for Nanny! :lecturef_smilie:

BajaRon
04-15-2013, 10:54 AM
The Nanny is actually a great tool in teaching you how to ride smooth. The smoother you ride the less she will nag you.

Brake before you enter the turn, enter at the outside of the turn (not the inside), apex to the center at mid point in the turn and accelerate to the outside as you exit the turn. This will greatly enhance your abilities, your speed, control and safety through the turn and keep the Nanny happy too!

A shameless plug here but honestly, my Sway Bar Kit will help you achieve all of these things. Think of the Nanny as a passenger. Ask any passenger of a Spyder that has my Sway Bar installed and they will tell you the ride feels safer and more in control when cornering. The Nanny agrees!

Ride safe and have FUN! :ohyea:

currin20fan
04-15-2013, 11:58 AM
The Nanny is actually a great tool in teaching you how to ride smooth. The smoother you ride the less she will nag you.

Brake before you enter the turn, enter at the outside of the turn (not the inside), apex to the center at mid point in the turn and accelerate to the outside as you exit the turn. This will greatly enhance your abilities, your speed, control and safety through the turn and keep the Nanny happy too!

A shameless plug here but honestly, my Sway Bar Kit will help you achieve all of these things. Think of the Nanny as a passenger. Ask any passenger of a Spyder that has my Sway Bar installed and they will tell you the ride feels safer and more in control when cornering. The Nanny agrees!

I agree Ron and with the Elka's its a win-win setup!

Lilly
04-15-2013, 12:16 PM
The Spyder monitors steering angle, steering torque, and the yaw. If it senses that your chosen steering input does not match the actual direction, it will apply the brakes individually to try to maintain your steering line. With an off-camber curve it can be easy to get a mismatch between the steering andgle and torque, or have more yaw than the steering angle would normally dictate. Miss Nanny kicks in subtly, and helps you do what you wanted to do. Only when things start to tip excessively will it cut back the engine...unless the back tire loses traction while you turn.

This is my 3rd :f_spider: never heard of the "NANNY" after reading all these posts,I still do not understand :gaah:

NancysToy
04-15-2013, 02:29 PM
This is my 3rd :f_spider: never heard of the "NANNY" after reading all these posts,I still do not understand :gaah:

The Spyder is equipped with what they call the VSS, or Vehicle Stability System. It also monitors engine conditions, brake pressures, and many other things via its multiple computer modules. These systems are collectively (although not necessarily affectionately) referred to as the "Nanny", because like Mary Poppins and other nannies of old, they watch over you. In this case, the OP was referring to the VSS. It provides directional stability, distributed ABS braking, and traction control functions.

StanProff
04-15-2013, 04:02 PM

I agree :thumbup: I have a couple of very sharp curves near my house that I hit coming or going. With Your sway bar, keeping the body of the spyder more level, the nanny is happier and doesn't kick in as much. I find that I can take the curves faster without really trying and have less work for Nanny to do. The bar does as advertised :clap:
I agree with others that the Nanny is a very good passenger and I would hate to go anywhere without her. I don't do it very often but when I do feel a little "hairy", and over do it, I am sure the Nanny has saved my but at least a couple of times.

SpyderWolf
04-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Usually, if you lift a wheel you will know you lifted the wheel and can definitely feel it. The Nanny will help try to get the wheel back on the ground as quickly as possible as well. It can also shut down your entire Spyder if you try to take too high of a banked curve and totally blow the yaw sensor's mind, I also have first hand experience with that.

missouriboy
04-16-2013, 05:17 AM
This is my 3rd :f_spider: never heard of the "NANNY" after reading all these posts,I still do not understand :gaah:Lilly, grab your DVD that came with the Owner's Manual and watch the section named VSS. Vehicle Stability System, as Nancy'sToy explained. I bet I've watched this section three times. It will make you understand easily. :rolleyes:

Dizneyman
04-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Usually, if you lift a wheel you will know you lifted the wheel and can definitely feel it. The Nanny will help try to get the wheel back on the ground as quickly as possible as well. It can also shut down your entire Spyder if you try to take too high of a banked curve and totally blow the yaw sensor's mind, I also have first hand experience with that.

Me too!! Got to high on the bank on the Daytona track and Nanny stopped me real quick... She brought me right down with the big orange warning!!!

SpyderWolf
04-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Me too!! Got to high on the bank on the Daytona track and Nanny stopped me real quick... She brought me right down with the big orange warning!!!

Did the track police threaten to kick you out for that, or are they nicer now? :D

currin20fan
04-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Did the track police threaten to kick you out for that, or are they nicer now? :D

The daytona racetrack is where I tested the "Nanny". The PoPo came by me, shook his finger at me and said "Three wheels on the ground lady, get back in line". :shocked: I think it scared him more than it did me. :roflblack: And he didn't threaten to kick me out :yes:

SpyderWolf
04-16-2013, 12:16 PM
The daytona racetrack is where I tested the "Nanny". The PoPo came by me, shook his finger at me and said "Three wheels on the ground lady, get back in line". :shocked: I think it scared him more than it did me. :roflblack: And he didn't threaten to kick me out :yes:

:thumbup: They were definitely nicer to you than they were to me when I did it in 2010. :roflblack: That first turn kept calling my name and I just had to see if my Spyder could climb it sideways. :dontknow:

ARtraveler
04-16-2013, 01:40 PM
I am happy to say that I have only had two "nanny" incidents. Both involved hydroplaning and my 2008 GS. Now that I have that figured out, so far, so good. :roflblack: