PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing confessions about those of you I see at Spyderfest

Lamonster
04-14-2013, 12:43 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I am really bad with remembering names, even the ones I know well. My mind seems to be blanking out more than usual and even though we may have met several times before I may not remember who you are or your name. A lot of times I just stay with the conversation hoping it will come back to me. I know this is somewhat disrespectful but I mean no disrespect and it's not that you're not that important to me, you are. So if I look a little lost when you come up and say hi it's because I am, I guess the 1970's were a little hard on me and that part of my memory seems to be fading quick. :opps:

I might add that I'm hard of hearing and have sever ringing in my ears so I do a lot of lip reading and try and figure out what your saying by putting the rest of the conversation together. So if you ask me a question and I give you some off the wall answer it's most likely I didn't hear it correctly and took my best shot at it. I honestly never planned on living this long and my past lifestyle has caught up to me and it really bothers me because I love people and if I could have two wishes it wouldn't be for fame or fortune, it would be for the ringing in my ears to stop and that I could remember everyone's name when I meet them.
nojoke

Can't wait to see you all at Spyderfest :yes::2excited:

TexasSpyder
04-14-2013, 12:49 PM
That's pretty common among "our" generation. Have all the symptoms you listed and many more. I just do the best I can. Fortunatly I remember faces pretty well but don't ask me the name.

J. D.

SPYD1
04-14-2013, 12:56 PM
I know what you are talking about. I'm often embarrassed not being able to remember names when I should. To complicate this I have a great ability to remember a face and find myself saying "you look familiar" and when they tell e who they are I should know their name. My wife is helpful with this. I have lived in my house for 8 years and I still I problems with my neighbors names. I, like you, just hope they understand.

Woody
04-14-2013, 12:57 PM
With SL AND real name.

harrypottar
04-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Although I wont be at Spyderfest due to work, if you see me around I answer to most things and trust me I've been called a lot worse than anyone can come up with...

Did I ever tell you about that time I broke up with ....

harry

ironbuttdean
04-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Lamonster, I can relate.

I just wanted to let you know that I am really bad with remembering names, even the ones I know well. My mind seems to be blanking out more than usual and even though we may have met several times before I may not remember who you are or your name. A lot of times I just stay with the conversation hoping it will come back to me. I know this is somewhat disrespectful but I mean no disrespect and it's not that you're not that important to me, you are. So if I look a little lost when you come up and say hi it's because I am, I guess the 70's were a little hard on me and that part of my memory seems to be fading quick. :opps:

I might add that I'm hard of hearing and have sever ringing in my ears so I do a lot of lip reading and try and figure out what your saying by putting the rest of the conversation together. So if you ask me a question and I give you some off the wall answer it's most likely I didn't hear it correctly and took my best shot at it. I honestly never planned on living this long and my past lifestyle has caught up to me and it really bothers me because I love people and if I could have two wishes it wouldn't be for fame or fortune, it would be for the ringing in my ears to stop and that I could remember everyone's name when I meet them.
nojoke

bruisersbaby
04-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Being 'slightly' older than you, Bruiser and I can really relate to all you have said. So many times I will see someone, maybe in a store, restaurant, whatever, know that I should know who they are, but cannot remember. Bruiser has the same problem, and we sit and ask each other, "now, where do we know them from?" "The face is familiar" - and on and on. We lived through the 60's, and actually survived, but the flightline ruined Bruiser's hearing and he also deals with the tinnitis (ringing in the ears) constantly. i believe that so many people know you, Lamont, whether personally or on SL, that they will not forget your name. But, I do not believe you should have to remember all of us!!!

Looking forward to seeing you, and everyone else, very soon. Oh, if you want a hint - I'll be the one with the spiky, white hair!!! :roflblack:

Spyderkid
04-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Hey my Friend

I think it all began that 1969 week-end at Woodstock.....:roflblack:

Illinois Boy
04-14-2013, 01:13 PM
I have the same ailment/deficiency... CRS is what I call it. :D

Spyder Monkey
04-14-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm probably one of the younger users here (42) and I can totally relate. Don't have the tinnitus but I have a real hard time with memory and hearing. I'm hoping the memory is from my wreck a few years ago and not following in my father's footsteps with Alzheimers.

Your honesty is refreshing. But I like you I get tired of explaining over and over the problem to everyone I meet so sometimes I'll fake remembering somebody or take my best guess at what they said.

The brain is a weird thing. I'll not remember the name of someone I worked with for years but yesterday I recognized and remembered the name of my wife's obstetrician that I have not seen in 12 years...

JkRbbt
04-14-2013, 01:18 PM
I am usually fairly good with names, but 30+ yrs around jet engines... I SAY AGAIN, I AM USUALLY PRETTY GOOD WITH NAMES! :D

pslawing
04-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Lamonster, your heart shows through for everyone in every post you write. We appreciate your "passion for our passion" and your concern for people. You are quite a guy. We all feel the affects of aging and it's frustrating for all of us. I don't remember our parents complaining though! Can't wait to meet everyone in a couple of weeks. Praying for a great safe time. Thank you for your inspiration!
Dale and Peggy Lawing
North Carolina

arntufun
04-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Hey my Friend

Hey, I went Woostock 1994, does that count ???????? :opps: We had to walk 5 miles to get into the place and it rained alot. We were covered in mud from head to toe. nojoke Bottle water was $5.00, Areosmith played great...., but thats about all I remember. :gaah:

I can't even imagine what you 1969 Woodstock people are going through. :roflblack:

PrairieSpyder
04-14-2013, 01:59 PM
I have the same ailment/deficiency... CRS is what I call it. :D

That's what I have, too!

I didn't go to Woodstock, but the 60s and 70s were way too much fun for me. That's why I don't do drugs anymore! :opps:

Last week I introduced myself to a lady at church and asked if she was new there. She said they'd been attending since January 2012! :gaah:

So if any of you wonder why I keep introducing my self, it's probably cuz I really can't remember!

Bob Denman
04-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Lamont... You know what they say; "The memory is the SECOND thing to go... and I forgot what the first one was!" :shocked: :roflblack: A lot of us will be wandering around in a state of Sensory Overload :shocked:; We won't be remembering or hearing things clearly either! :shocked:

MouthPiece
04-14-2013, 02:43 PM
I was always taught when meeting someone I've met before, to alway extend them the courtesy of saying your name to the other so as to refresh their memory and help them out. By so doing it spares the other from any embarrassment. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Doc45
04-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Ringin in the ears....let's see, four years in the Air Force loading weapons followed by fourteen years working at Metro Airport in field maintance. Now I shoot large calibre handguns for a hobbie. When I'm speaking with someone my first words are usually huh, or what? I feel your pain Brother. Just smile and nod your head a lot, unless it's your turn to buy. :shocked:

Mo Lee
04-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Don't worry, heck sometimes I have trouble remembering my own name.

spydrluvr
04-14-2013, 02:59 PM
at the moonshine lunch run they give you a name tag on a lanyard to wear. it has your nickname, real name, and state. might be something to think about:dontknow:

napper39
04-14-2013, 03:03 PM
will im bigtime everthing you said.but my fun youth time was the 50s,napper39 thats my birth year 1939,so forgive m if i dont know anybodys name,and 30 years blowing the horn on those trains ,not much left of my hearing,but ill be happy to see you all at the fest.:2thumbs::thumbup:as of the ringing i cat hear that any moore:yikes:

bbodah
04-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Its all good Lamont. Even though I haven't met you (yet) , I feel like I already did. I have spoken to you a couple times on the phone and am really looking forward to meeting you and all the good folks at spyderfest!

Phyxius
04-14-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm 29 and I have the CRS as well so when I meet you guys you'll probably hear me say your names a few times in the first few minutes of conversation. I do try the memory techniques and they work fairly well. :)

I also try to always ride with ear plugs in. I want to get those nifty custom ones but, for now I make do with foam. They make a huge difference. And, I don't care who makes fun of me, I'll be able to hear years from now (I hope).

Yelhelp
04-14-2013, 03:09 PM
If I know I was going to live this long i sure would have spent alot less money on partying and save for old age .How would you think that was even possible in the 60'S and 70's and 80's ????? :yes:

:yes::yikes:
Hey my Friend

TicketBait
04-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Looking forward to seeing many that have
been to previous Spyderfests, know it can
be awkward when you know who someone
is, but really hope people introduce themselves
with just their Spyderlovers name, That's how
I know them and what they have said here.
When people ask me my name I just say TicketBait

Some of the people that I have spoken with many
times yet only know there handles are i.e.:
hotglue, Flamingobabe, Firefly, Spydermelucky, bumblebee,
clueless, bullant12 & NancysToy, I did learn as Scotty, but
for the life of me have trouble remembering his wifes name:roflblack:
If I have to learn two sets of names it will get ugly
trying to remember it.. Bob Denman was smart with
his handle, as I remember his whole name, and
will address him that way when I see him. Same
with FaranH , MickeyFisher and Fred Rau.

Buttsy
04-14-2013, 03:23 PM
at the moonshine lunch run they give you a name tag on a lanyard to wear. it has your nickname, real name, and state. might be something to think about:dontknow:

For someone who attends an annual company meeting with 300-400 people I can comment this is a great idea.............:thumbup: And Lamont don't be to hard on yourself, the folks who quietly stand off to the side and talk to 15-20 people (not judging by the way) should remember everyones name. For those who meet 250-300 people........well you get the point a little more challenging to say the least!

Enjoy everyone and travel safe, lots of pictures for those of us who won't be there!

bruisersbaby
04-14-2013, 03:30 PM
In 1969, Bruiser was already in the Air Force and I had just graduated high school. I had thought about Woodstock, but my parents wouldn't have let me go anyway. And - I would have abided by their rules! "The Times They Are A'changing" - what a prophetic song! But, I digress. My hearing is okay, so I can always use sign language to let Bruiser know what someone said if he can't hear them! He spent 20 years as a jet engine mechanic, and 24 years working on industrial equipment. Yup, his hearing is pretty much shot.

I've tried all the different little tricks to try and remember someone's name, but they never worked for me, so if I can't recall a name, I'll tell them just that. I know you, but cannot remember your name. More times than not, they can't remember mine either! So, you smile, introduce yourself again, and all is well in the world.

Are we there yet???????

Cruzr Joe
04-14-2013, 03:59 PM
HAH............... I Remember names great, I just forget who they belong to :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Thats why i were a vest with my name on it

Cruzr Joe

PrairieSpyder
04-14-2013, 04:00 PM

That's a good idea, though it could get expensive for the Mogang.

In a previous thread, there was talk about having cards printed to exchange with folks at SF. I have some on order and they have my real name and SL handle. I have a lanyard somewhere. I'll bring it if I can find it.

Dochands
04-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Name tags are not a silly idea. I suggested this last year and I know its too late for this year but how about Spyderlovers license frames (like I had made just for me). Use them on a chain as the document frames for our ID stuff with our name in very big letters. Nice take home from the event.

And there is an app Lamont. Its called BioAid for the iPhone. It is an experimental digital hearing aid that you can custom tune to your frequency loss. You might be walking around with your earbuds in but you could hear everything. And if you remember us and don't want to listen you can listen to tasty tunes instead. LOL

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bioaid/id577764716?mt=8

This app might be good for a lot of us who have worked near loud machinery or firearms. I have only tried it once or twice but it seems to really work.

SpyderRocks
04-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Don't worry, heck sometimes I have trouble remembering my own name.

Yep, that's why KCPete and I ordered nifty pin-on plastic name tags from Office Depot ($12) with our names, city and SpyderLovers handles. I glued red rhinestones on mine.:dg2:

PS. I routinely call my kids and animals by each others' names, or "whoever you are"!

Blue Star
04-14-2013, 04:06 PM
I might add that I'm hard of hearing and have sever ringing in my ears so I do a lot of lip reading and try and figure out what your saying by putting the rest of the conversation together. So if you ask me a question and I give you some off the wall answer it's most likely I didn't hear it correctly and took my best shot at it.

When I was younger I lit way to many fire crackers (and larger) for my own good, and thus have hearing loss and tinnitus too. Surprisingly what got rid of it was wearing hearing aids. Was told when I got them that it would eliminate the ringing, and sure was surprised when it did.

As for not remembering names, welcome to the club. Years ago when I was single I forgot a girl friends name, and to most non-appropriate moment too :yikes:. Fortunately for me she understood my memory issues.

Dochands
04-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Also, tinnitus is treatable. Just sayin.

bruiser
04-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Also, tinnitus is treatable. Just sayin.

Tell that to the VA.

Desert Spyder
04-14-2013, 04:17 PM
When I was younger I lit way to many fire crackers (and larger) for my own good, and thus have hearing loss and tinnitus too. Surprisingly what got rid of it was wearing hearing aids. Was told when I got them that it would eliminate the ringing, and sure was surprised when it did.

As for not remembering names, welcome to the club. Years ago when I was single I forgot a girl friends name, and to most non-appropriate moment too :yikes:. Fortunately for me she understood my memory issues.

I've never seen you wear hearing aids Tom.

SpyderDen
04-14-2013, 04:20 PM
After all you have over 10,000 members on this forum alone. No to mention your other forums. :thumbup:

pickelhead
04-14-2013, 04:31 PM
If this was the 60s-70s I would say you plan on being stoned throughout Spyder Fest. :2thumbs::ohyea::yes::cheers:

bruiser
04-14-2013, 04:34 PM
As BB said, I have a hearing issue. Unfortunately it's in the tone associated with normal speech. So like Lamont, I may say something off the wall too. I don't read lips, unless they're on a good looking woman :joke:. And as far as remembering names, some I can, most I can't.

When our family got together mom would call us 3 or 4 names before she got it right. See, there were six kids in the family. It was funny to us. So on one get together we all showed up with name tags. She still ran through the names :roflblack:. What I'd give to hear her do that again.

AbNormy
04-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Lamont: remembering names is an exercise in Alzheimer s prevention for me, but I dont deal with near the volume of people u do on a daily basis! Dont sweat it! But i like ur blanket disclaimer! Good forethought! :):thumbup:

From Deep in the Hart of Texas!

SDM
04-14-2013, 04:42 PM
I can totally relate on the not remembering names!!! I occasionally have a ringing in the ears - not all the time. The Hubby (Tobor 9) has tinnitus and has the ringing ALL the time. As to being treatable, his Dr. put him on a bunch of drugs and all he did was sleep in his chair all day (can't hear ringing if you're asleep!). He is also very bad with names.
I always say if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself - he says no you wouldn't have!!!:roflblack:

NancysToy
04-14-2013, 04:45 PM
I am Scotty...and I look exactly like my avatar, in case you have trouble putting the name with the face. :roflblack:

As to remembering all your names or handles...I'll blame my lapses on a previous head injury. nojoke

Lamonster
04-14-2013, 04:47 PM
I am Scotty...and I look exactly like my avatar, in case you have trouble putting the name with the face. :roflblack:

:thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14711&d=1234374656

arntufun
04-14-2013, 04:54 PM
:thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14711&d=1234374656

Is that a pink/purple scooter or is my monitor color off ????????????

Now, there is a guy that's secure about his masculinity. :thumbup:

jwhatman
04-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Hubby and I have the same problem. We are both horrible remembering people's names. We'll look at each other and ask if either one of us remember that person(s) name. Nope, not a clue. We do the same thing by seeing if we can mete out any significant info from the conversation. I am at awe when the people I work with greet a customer by name, and know their first and last name. I can't even begin to figure out where I saw them before! Don't worry, we all suffer from some affliction or another. No offense taken if you don't remember who I am, I'm still trying to figure out who you are.

Joyce

Plyrod38
04-14-2013, 05:01 PM
I can relate to all of the above, 11 years in Naval Aviation and a few more with civilian contractors working on military aircraft, riding motorcycles, and shooting weapons has given me tinnitus also.
The wife has been able to bail me out of many memory loss situations..

I have had Staples make up a batch of 500 business cards with a picture of our Spyder and our names, location, phone and E-Mail. Wish I would have had the forethought to add my Spyder Lovers identity.

If you are a Spyder person, in or around North Carolina, I may have handed you one.

flamingobabe
04-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Hello my name is ___________________....this is what we all should do to Lamonster....and really get him mixed up....so when you see Lamonster...walk up and say.....Hello...My name is __________

AlamoRyder
04-14-2013, 05:20 PM
I am looking forward to meeting a bunch of motorcyclists my age and older! Clue: in the next month I have to decide to apply now or wait for SS benefits and decide what insurance coverage I will get with my Medicare (or is it Medicaid?). I think we all of some ailment or slippage in certain areas and but I would think you should just be glad you know HOW to get the SF, CAN get to SF and keep doing what you love to do, ryde. Hope I get a chance to have you forget my name during the four days (or is it five?):dontknow:
No problemo here.:bowdown:

Gary
04-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Does'nt that come with runy nose and a cough??

bruiser
04-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Hey Scotty, except for the beard you're right.

kevorama
04-14-2013, 06:26 PM
We just finished putting all 900+ name tags and badges together at Spyderlady's house. So, it should be easier to read everyone's name when meeting them. They'll be on a Neck lanyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lamonster
04-14-2013, 06:42 PM
We just finished putting all 900+ name tags and badges together at Spyderlady's house. So, it should be easier to read everyone's name when meeting them. They'll be on a Neck lanyard.

:bowdown:

ARtraveler
04-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the post. I don't think you are going to run into any problems over it. :thumbup:

OJ UK
04-14-2013, 06:59 PM
.......have hearing loss and tinnitus too. Surprisingly what got rid of it was wearing hearing aids. Was told when I got them that it would eliminate the ringing, and sure was surprised when it did.

Me too!! I spent a small fortune on hearing aids.....about $3000 US....and not only did I have to listen to all of the music I'd bought in the last 15 years again but also my tinnitus reduced significantly.
My memory recall works intermittently but never when I need it too!
So Lamont don't despair we're all of an age where these things seem normal! As for the 70s......what were they??? I think I must have missed them!! ;)

Wiredux
04-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Being under 40 I suffer from CRS as well. I am glad there are going to be name tags at spyderfest.

PrairieSpyder
04-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Well, bless your hearts! :thumbup: :clap::bowdown:Thank you!

NancysToy
04-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Is that a pink/purple scooter or is my monitor color off ????????????

Now, there is a guy that's secure about his masculinity. :thumbup:

It is a 1960 Honda "Tokyo Rose" Benly Touring. It is unrestored. That's the factory color. Mine is the fifth one that has been found...and arguably the best original ever discovered. A couple more have been found since, as well as some "pink" Dream Tourings. As far as my masculinity, I'm not sure even a girl would ride this one. :roflblack:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14695&d=1234373964

somanyroads
04-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Lamont you are not alone Bro! All those years of riding and working without any ear protection, that is the way things were. It took quite a few years before anyone realized all the damage that was being done to their hearing. I wonder how the kids today will be in the future, all of them running around with earbuds on cranking up the music? I hope they will be okay? We are all getting old together hopefully! ;) Hang in there Bro! We can only do our best! Ride safe! Denny

Jeriatric
04-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Not fair!! You have a valid reason for what ails you, some of us wish we did.....and don't.
You're a good guy Lamont and that's all that matters to any of us. :thumbup:

Farmbanker
04-14-2013, 08:10 PM

You guys are so totally awesome! :bowdown::bowdown:

kyspyder
04-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Lamont, your parents are the cause of the problems you describe.

Mother Nature & Father Time

KYSPYDER

Spyderjockey
04-14-2013, 08:24 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I am really bad with remembering names, even the ones I know well. My mind seems to be blanking out more than usual and even though we may have met several times before I may not remember who you are or your name. A lot of times I just stay with the conversation hoping it will come back to me. I know this is somewhat disrespectful but I mean no disrespect and it's not that you're not that important to me, you are. So if I look a little lost when you come up and say hi it's because I am, I guess the 70's were a little hard on me and that part of my memory seems to be fading quick. :opps:

nojoke

And you're who again?.....you say that you run some kind of forum for some sort of insect thing that you can ride on....that's pretty far fetched!! Just :joke: :roflblack::roflblack: We all know and love ya Mr. ahh Mr. ahhhhLamonster... looking forward to seeing you again this year at Spyderfest...see ya soon!!:thumbup:

Oldmanzues
04-14-2013, 08:25 PM
It is a lot easier for me to remember such a big help, along with some others, on here and in person. I am horrible at remembering names and even faces. I met one of the ones who can yesterday at a PGR Mission. If I rember a name for other people on the mission, I try to use it. Not many people I can remember. If I do not rember the face, I just admit it and say I do not know if we have met or not. Said that to a guy and he replied, the last name I saw you on SGT XXXX's funeral on your red ST1100. I have been on Spyders since my new 2008 GS. Oldmanzues

CMA Cowboy
04-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Can totally relate. I have a pin for my vest that says "Don't remember your name either but still glad to see you".

Bandit
04-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Yeppers! CRS seems to run rampant in our "Age Group". After the Combat Tours, I got tired of the wife hitting me to get my attention! Broke down and got some Hearing Aids (Quieted the Tentinitis too!)!! Just have to take enough pictures to remember what I did while I was there. Hope to FINALLY meet you @ SF. Bandit :doorag:

bruisersbaby
04-14-2013, 08:51 PM

Cannot begin to thank the MOGang enough for everything!

Farmbanker
04-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Too much loud farm machinery, too much dain bramage from partying, age, stress. I have the same issues. Just call me "hey you" and I will be just fine. :D

SpyderDen
04-14-2013, 08:54 PM
:bowdown::agree:

lyonsden
04-14-2013, 09:27 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThank you so much! That makes it so much easier.:bowdown:

jScotD
04-14-2013, 10:50 PM
i tattooed my name upside down on my arm so i can remember who I am... worked in a rock and roll band.. can't use ear plugs 'cause they give me a headache..

always think my phone is ringing,,, and I'm never around it

Blue Star
04-14-2013, 11:18 PM
I've never seen you wear hearing aids Tom.

I don't wear them anymore, as I forgot where I put them.

Chupaca
04-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Shouldn't be embarrassing or a confession. Anyone who meets as many folks as you do can't be expected to remember them all. Our mind get more selective and our filing system gets full. You more than likely remember the older meetings names and faces because they are filed away but your file cabinet is full so the newer meetings and faces no longer get filed. Now all the new ones are placed in the in box but never filed away. Don't let it bother you..!! My problem is I can remember their bikes, the work I did on it but not them..:thumbup:

FaranH
04-15-2013, 02:19 AM

:bowdown:
You guys rock!!

Mo Lee
04-15-2013, 03:44 AM
Can totally relate. I have a pin for my vest that says "Don't remember your name either but still glad to see you".

I remember your name, your Pinky's Husband!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblac k::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rof lblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack ::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rofl black::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Kungfuspyder
04-15-2013, 04:04 AM
I know a bit of us newbies will have our moment putting faces on names and so forth. The only way we know each other is by photo galleries, avatars, and signature pics. For those who I chatted with, here and Facebook know me by being chased by a GIANT spider or a gorilla leaning against a pearl white RT. Like the title for Spyderfest this year "A new adventure" it will be for many of us who have not been to previous events.

Captain Fin
04-15-2013, 05:16 AM
It's the warm friendly smile that is most important. Looks like you did not have a sales job.

Yfactor
04-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Add one more to the list that can't remember names or hear well. Age, outboard motors and shooting have helped to get rid of the hearing and as for the name memory, never could remember names more than a few minutes or so after hearing them. Faces I never forget, just can't put names with them. Meet people I worked with for 25 - 30 years before retiring and know their faces but for the life of me can't remember their names.

Bob Denman
04-15-2013, 06:41 AM
Bob Denman was smart with
his handle, as I remember his whole name, and
will address him that way when I see him. Same
with FaranH , MickeyFisher and Fred Rau. It's wasn't any "smarts" that caused it to happen; it's the only way that I can even remember my OWN name each morning! :shocked: :roflblack:

CJ/johnnyg
04-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Being 'slightly' older than you, Bruiser and I can really relate to all you have said. So many times I will see someone, maybe in a store, restaurant, whatever, know that I should know who they are, but cannot remember. Bruiser has the same problem, and we sit and ask each other, "now, where do we know them from?" "The face is familiar" - and on and on. We lived through the 60's, and actually survived, but the flightline ruined Bruiser's hearing and he also deals with the tinnitis (ringing in the ears) constantly. i believe that so many people know you, Lamont, whether personally or on SL, that they will not forget your name. But, I do not believe you should have to remember all of us!!!

Looking forward to seeing you, and everyone else, very soon. Oh, if you want a hint - I'll be the one with the spiky, white hair!!! :roflblack:

and how many of us will have spiky white hair :roflblack: Lamont you are not alone. I believe about 75% of us are in the same boat. It was great of you to let everyone know your situation though, being you are in the lime light everyone knows you and feels like you are like a brother and forgets that you have met so many people and it is impossible for you to remember everyone. It gives everyone heads up. Looking forward in seeing everyone at spyderfest.

Bob Denman
04-15-2013, 07:08 AM
:opps: My Avatar is much prettier than I am... :opps:

bullant12
04-15-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm probably one of the younger users here (42) and I can totally relate. Don't have the tinnitus but I have a real hard time with memory and hearing. I'm hoping the memory is from my wreck a few years ago and not following in my father's footsteps with Alzheimers.
Your honesty is refreshing. But I like you I get tired of explaining over and over the problem to everyone I meet so sometimes I'll fake remembering somebody or take my best guess at what they said.
The brain is a weird thing. I'll not remember the name of someone I worked with for years but yesterday I recognized and remembered the name of my wife's obstetrician that I have not seen in 12 years...

You are not that far off from myself... and I have to say that I am younger than you!:opps: And this is why:

Cannot begin to thank the MOGang enough for everything!

Thank you Guys! This is the best system by far without having to train your memory so much that you do not enjoy Spyderfest:joke:.
It is actually a simple and effective way. We do "Name Tag Weekends" at Church were we make our parishoners fill out a name tag sticker (or if you have a work or KofC nametag) so we can "add a name to that face". Seems there is a great response since everyone either bring their nametags or fill one out. But it works, which is what we want. Looking forward to Spyderfest!!

BTW... the easiest way to Lamont remember your name is to break or mess up one of his tools/install's... He will follow your name by a 4 letter word (or before your name)...:joke::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::ro flblack:

rcdurango
04-15-2013, 07:41 AM
It was Bull Island for me.:yikes: The name is Richard (AKA rcdurango);)

wildbill6565
04-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Lamont( Is that right?????????????)
Welcome to "GETTING OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Wild Bill
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

mxz600
04-15-2013, 08:24 AM
A big THANK YOU goes out to MOGang for the name tags. Those will be very helpful for me as I also suffer from CRS.

Lamont, I seriously wouldn't expect you to remember the names of everyone you meet at these things. You are out there so much meeting so many people. And I for sure don't expect you to remember me. We only met once and you weren't having one of your better weeks. It was the Owners Event in Chicago and you were possibly under the influence of painkillers.

Jimmy Neutron
04-15-2013, 08:38 AM

nojoke

All I can say Lamont is my wife and I very much enjoyed your company when we had chance to stop by.. You are good people and we all know world needs more of you

jerpinoy
04-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Lamont, thank you for sharing. I have the same similarities. Don't worry, what is important to me is your good heart of being helpful to all.:yes: 22 years working on jet engines takes toll especially doing (QA) inspection during High power turns 105%:yes:I'm just glad I'm still here. :pray:

scooterexpress
04-15-2013, 12:25 PM
NOW HEAR THIS:yikes: YOU'ALL BETTER COME SEE ME AT SPYDERFEST..:roflblack::roflblack: sorry for speaking loudly but i wanted to make sure some of you heard me.

JimAlpha
04-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Who is Lamont? :roflblack: :roflblack:

DRTSB
04-15-2013, 09:43 PM

nojoke

Lamont, I have ringing in my ears, I was going crazy, my wife saw a sign in the doctors office for a hearing aid place that said it could help with Tinnitus, I was fitted with hearing aids and boy did it change things, they can put a program into them that emits white noise, this works great for the Tinnitus as it gives the brain something to do rather than listening to the ringing and as a side it improved my hearing. it really worked for me, they are expensive but they usually let you try them for 2 months, that's what my place let me do, can only help!

Dave ;)