PDA

View Full Version : Georgian College Spyder Course

JayJay
04-13-2013, 10:13 PM
I have registered for the basic Spyder course scheduled on May 8th & 9th (Wed/Thu). Any other Spyderlovers attending this particular session?

Illinois Boy
04-13-2013, 10:44 PM
I have registered for the basic Spyder course scheduled on May 8th & 9th (Wed/Thu). Any other Spyderlovers attending this particular session?

Not in your area to attend, but exactly what is this course? Who teaches and sponsors it?

Would like to know... Thanks.

JayJay
04-14-2013, 12:05 AM
In Ontario we have a graduated licensing process, For 2 wheel motorcycles you start by writing a "rules of the road" exam that if passed gets you an M1 endorsement. With an M1 you can operate a motorcycle with some restrictions. After a period of time you can take a Government practical riding test. If successful you move to an M2. In essence you continue to ride, but with most of the M1 restrictions lifted. Within 5 years you have to take a final Government practical riding test. If successful you get a full M license and you are finished with the graduated program.

I believe this is the first year that Georgian College is offering a spyder specific course. The basic course requires that you already have an M1 endorsement. The course itself consists of 2 hours classroom followed by a full day of riding spyders under the supervision of instructors. Spyder STs are supplied by the college. At the end of the day you can take a practical riding test and be graded by a Government certified examiner. Usually one of the instructors. If you pass you get your M2 with restriction to operate 3 wheel motorcycles only. Georgian College also offers an advanced spyder course who's prerequisite is having an M2. In this case you must supply your own spyder for the course. At the end of the course you once again take another practical riding test. If passed by the Government certified examiner you graduate with an M license. You are then free to do whatever you want as long as it is on three wheels!

These "college offered" courses are not compulsory to move through the graduated licensing process. As long as you pass the various government practical riding tests within the prescribed time frames you can get your license without any formal course involvement. The only limitation is that if you wish to ride either 2 or 3 wheel motorcycles, you have to take the tests using a 2 wheel motorcycle. If you take the tests using a 3 wheeler then your license will be restricted to 3 wheel motorcycle operation only.

I personally take the courses because they have a lot to offer in a short time span. The instructors are great and the course is usually a lot of fun! I also like to take them in the early spring. It helps to get you "back in the groove" for the upcoming riding season.

The above is probably as clear as mud, but I hope it helped.

Safe riding!

John J.

StanTheMan
04-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Hi John,

I believe this course was setup in co-operation with BRP. Sounds like a great opportunity to become more familiar with the operation of your Spyder.

Good luck and enjoy!

Regards,
Stan the Man

Illinois Boy
04-14-2013, 08:46 AM
I wish courses like that were mandatory for everything, to include autos. It might be a safer world because of it...

Bob Ledford
04-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Sounds like a very good method of getting your licensing and qualifications

condorflysu
04-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi John,

I believe this course was setup in co-operation with BRP. Sounds like a great opportunity to become more familiar with the operation of your Spyder.

Good luck and enjoy!

Regards,
Stan the Man

It was also part of a Spring promotion, BRP will refund the first $395.00 of the course with the purchase of a new Spyder.
They are also offering an advanced course and Spyder ride try out for a minimal fee.
You can stay at the collage residence as well for a very fair price.

Others that have booked this course can be viewed at http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?47588-I-am-registered
The Collage web site for this can be found at http://www.georgianc.on.ca/coned09/areas-of-interest/motorcycle-training/can-am-spyder-training-program/

Ontario Canada Motorcycle licence information http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/get-motorcycle-licence
Note that if you take a course it shortens the waiting time for a full M licence.

We will be there May 25-26 for our M2 lic.

Let the fun begin!

FnM

Chupaca
04-14-2013, 10:27 AM
That's a great way to train educate and license drivers. Wish it was used everywhere. I think some people around here get there licenses from walmart...!!:roflblack:

JayJay
04-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Condorflysu

Thanks for the info on the $395 rebate. Is this a current money back program? I'm interested as I just bought a new RT which is getting delivered this coming Friday :yes:.

Also Georgian calls the overnight stay program "Stay where you ride". It is a great idea for us non-locals who would otherwise have a long drive home and back between the classroom session which runs from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on day one and the start of day two riding at 8:00 a.m.. I have taken advantage of the offer. Check-in is at 4:00 p.m. with check-out at 11:00 a.m. the next morning. Timing works well with the course. My wife is coming with so that she can sightsee while I ride. We were given a 2 bedroom apartment for $59 + taxes for the night. Good deal!! Gas for the truck alone from Barrie to Oakville return would cost more than the price of the room. And now that my wife may have an extra $395 to spend, she can be at the stores bright and early when they open :shocked:.

John J.

condorflysu
04-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Condorflysu

Thanks for the info on the $395 rebate. Is this a current money back program? I'm interested as I just bought a new RT which is getting delivered this coming Friday :yes:.

Also Georgian calls the overnight stay program "Stay where you ride". It is a great idea for us non-locals who would otherwise have a long drive home and back between the classroom session which runs from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on day one and the start of day two riding at 8:00 a.m.. I have taken advantage of the offer. Check-in is at 4:00 p.m. with check-out at 11:00 a.m. the next morning. Timing works well with the course. My wife is coming with so that she can sightsee while I ride. We were given a 2 bedroom apartment for $59 + taxes for the night. Good deal!! Gas for the truck alone from Barrie to Oakville return would cost more than the price of the room. And now that my wife may have an extra $395 to spend, she can be at the stores bright and early when they open :shocked:.

John J.
John, check with your dealer, they should have the rebate coupons available. If not I can get one for you from my dealer here in Brampton. Frank

bscrive
04-18-2013, 02:29 PM
My wife (Spidergirl) is taking the May 4-5 course. She is really looking forward to it. Especially, since they are using the new ST model. I can see it now, she will want to upgrade. :banghead:

JayJay
04-18-2013, 04:56 PM
John, check with your dealer, they should have the rebate coupons available. If not I can get one for you from my dealer here in Brampton. Frank

Hi Frank, thanks again for the info on course rebates! I contacted my dealer as recommended and he did confirm that I am entitled to a rebate coupon. He will have it ready tomorrow when I pick up my new Spyder RT :2thumbs:. A new :f_spider: and a rebate :clap:all in one day. Friday is shaping up to be really good. Just hope the forecasted rain backs off for awhile :pray:.

John J.

JayJay
05-09-2013, 09:42 PM
I just attended the Spyder course at Georgian College. For anyone interested in this course I would highly recommend it. Covered everything one needed to now to acquire an M2 with restriction. They used 2013 ST SE5s. No SM5s. Instructors were great and worked well with each other and the students (thanks Cathy and Al). They are still buffing and polishing the program which is to be expected. After all this was just the second session to be run since the program was launched. With their desire to do it right it will be quite the program once fully matured! I also used the "stay where you ride" offering. The residence wasn't the 4 Seasons but it was neat, clean and comfortable. I appreciated the sleep between day 1 and 2 far more than a 3 hour drive from Barrie to Oakville and return. At $59 + taxes for the night it was about the same as the cost of gas. Yes I drive a pickup with a V8 :gaah:. For those already registered for the course, you won't be disappointed!!!

bzbaeren
05-09-2013, 10:09 PM
California does not require a Motorcycle license however I took a standard Motorcycle safety (MSF sanctioned course) for review and progressive lowered my insurance rate so significantly that the rebate paid for the course and I got to ride someone else motor for two days... riding=fun for me so it was a win win and it refreshed skills I had gotten sloppy about.:D

condorflysu
05-27-2013, 11:44 PM
I just attended the Spyder course at Georgian College. For anyone interested in this course I would highly recommend it. Covered everything one needed to now to acquire an M2 with restriction. They used 2013 ST SE5s. No SM5s. Instructors were great and worked well with each other and the students (thanks Cathy and Al). They are still buffing and polishing the program which is to be expected. After all this was just the second session to be run since the program was launched. With their desire to do it right it will be quite the program once fully matured! I also used the "stay where you ride" offering. The residence wasn't the 4 Seasons but it was neat, clean and comfortable. I appreciated the sleep between day 1 and 2 far more than a 3 hour drive from Barrie to Oakville and return. At $59 + taxes for the night it was about the same as the cost of gas. Yes I drive a pickup with a V8 :gaah:. For those already registered for the course, you won't be disappointed!!!

The wife and I enjoyed the course as well. The instructors were excellent and worked well together to deliver a informative program. We will attend the advanced M course to complete our licencing process at Georgian Collage after we have driven the required 18 month waiting experience building period. The course accommodates 10 students our class had 8 ladies and 2 guys....was I out numbered... but in a good way. :thumbup:... Here is a interesting fact, before the course the RT-S insurance rate was $2685.00 per year as a new M1 class driver and it drops to $1645.00 as a M2 driver when you pass the course. Still a rip off for insurance but the course is good value to reduce it. Plus the rebate from BRP and it's a win win.

Buttsy
05-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Here is a interesting fact, before the course the RT-S insurance rate was $2685.00 per year as a new M1 class driver and it drops to $1645.00 as a M2 driver when you pass the course. Still a rip off for insurance but the course is good value to reduce it. Plus the rebate from BRP and it's a win win.

Wow..............I agree still a total rip but that is some serious savings no matter how you look at it!

kaykinder
07-23-2013, 03:06 AM
I also took the course & highly recommend it - especially for the spyder specific knowledge like resetting the computer chip in the Spyder when it gets a bit wonky and the trick to perfect reverse parking every single time.

Great instructors, lots of spyder tips & insight, fun fellow students to share the journey with. Worth every dime in rebates & insurance discounts and speeding up the next license requirement.