PDA

View Full Version : Electricle Question

Motorcycledave
04-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Well I have listened and read all kinds of things regarding electrical items such as 12V cigar lighters
or power ports being put on the Spyders "all Models" causing trouble with the computer on spyders
and giving out all kinds of codes on the dash ???? is this true or is it just BS ?
it would seem to me if you went direct to the battery with a fused link hooked up to the power port
it would be independent of everything else... Have any of you hooked up in this manor and had trouble ?
I want to put 2 outlets on my 2008 GS to charge iPhone, iPod, SENA's and such.
any input would be welcome
Thanks
Dave

Chupaca
04-11-2013, 11:52 PM
you have the wires for an outlet in the frunk already. You can plug in a double usb charger and supply two items. You can also go direct to the battery as well. The existing wire only works with the key on. No problems with either way... Good luck..!!:thumbup:

harrypottar
04-12-2013, 06:01 AM
You would think it safe but the cambus on the spyder can get funny. I would invest in a good fuse block like FZ1, Reggy sells them and many Spyderlovers have installed them. Wires directly to the battery and each circuit can be switched or none switched with just a change of fuze position. This way any accessories are independent of the Spyders cambus. Worth the $80 or so investment for peace of mind and arguments later at the service desk when they blame the flat tire on your new 12volt outlet.

harry

jthornton
04-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Not to be picky but it is a Controller Area Network bus and is called CAN bus with a N. It is an ISO standard serial bus network for controlling devices.

John

StanProff
04-12-2013, 06:31 AM
I wired another lighter plug fused direct from the battery remote terminals under the seat for GPS, never had a problem .

Leftysspyder
04-12-2013, 06:44 AM
i havent installed a 12 v power outlet yet but when i do i think it would be in my best interest to let my dealership do it, that way i know its done properly and i can blame them when it causes my flat tire lol.

jthornton
04-12-2013, 07:49 AM
i havent installed a 12 v power outlet yet but when i do i think it would be in my best interest to let my dealership do it, that way i know its done properly and i can blame them when it causes my flat tire lol.

Hopefully you have a good dealer with a good tech. I've run across some that I wouldn't let them change a flat on my little red wagon much less touch my motorcycles.

John

NancysToy
04-12-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm not sure where you got your information, but I don't think you read it here. The RS has two 3 amp accessory circuits and harnesses (switched and unswitched) already installed, up front. Pretty easy to utilize if you remove the trunk. The RT already has a 10 amp outlet in the rear trunk, with an additional haness on that circuit up front (again, remove the trunk). It is easy to install an auxiliary fuse block or fused pigtail as an alternative, and I highly recommend it. It will require removing the bodywork, carefully routing and protecting some wires, and connecting directly to the battery, not the jump start terminals under the seat. (Loosening the negative jumper will lead to a lot of cussing.) If you decide to switch your fuse block with a relay, I recommend that it be diode protected to avoid interference on the CANbus.

billybovine
04-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Adding a fused line to the battery is not a bad idea. I did not do that. I tied into the outlet circuit for power to my GPS because it is switched. It is only a 3 amp circuit but that is lots for what I am using for. I also added a USB power port for charging my phone and helmet headset. I used an available unused 3 amp unswitched line.

Some circuits are powered directly by the instrument cluster. (brake light, turn signal and others). If you connect directly into any of these circuits and significantly change the load the cluster will determine there is a malfunction. Many folks will blame the Can Bus system but it has nothing to do with Can Bus.

boborgera
04-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Well I have listened and read all kinds of things regarding electrical items such as 12V cigar lighters
or power ports being put on the Spyders "all Models" causing trouble with the computer on spyders
and giving out all kinds of codes on the dash ???? is this true or is it just BS ?
it would seem to me if you went direct to the battery with a fused link hooked up to the power port
it would be independent of everything else... Have any of you hooked up in this manor and had trouble ?
I want to put 2 outlets on my 2008 GS to charge iPhone, iPod, SENA's and such.
any input would be welcome
Thanks
Dave

With my x- 08 I wired 55 w Wally world fogs to the front box, I also wired both tender and heated jacket direct [fused] to the battery with out any problems.