PDA

View Full Version : 12v plug dilemma....

matusky
05-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Ok, so I picked up my spyder, #3489, DE Tag OMFG.......

The dealer told me that they didn't have a 12v plug to install and it hadn't come in yet, so he knocked off the installation and part cost of the plug and sent me on my way........

I have the trunk liner...... I decided to take a look at the tool kit the other day and to my utter surprise....... there's a 12v plug installed in there...... and for the life of me I can't get power to it!!! I put a 20amp fuse in the "option'' slot in the fusebox thinking that maybe they tied it into that, still doesn't work with the bike on or off......

So do I call the dealer and ask for help with the accessory......... that I have, ..........that they installed, ...............that I didn't pay for.......... that doesn't work???? ;D

Any suggestions?

bjt
05-08-2008, 09:24 PM
A 3 amp fuse goes in the switched accessory slot of the fusebox in the trunk area. The outlet is only hot when the key is turned on but the engine does not have to be running. Our dealer forgot to put that in when he installed our 12 volt outlets too. He said there is no mention of the fuse in the BRP instructions. Also, he found my 12 volt outlet had the wiring come loose at the back of the plug and he had to remove some panels to get to the back to re-plug the wires in.

Putt-Putt
05-12-2008, 01:17 PM
My dealer had the same problem with the no fuse. But I had him wire it different. Mine is put in the dash and is hot all the time. The reason I wanted it like that is so when the spyder is not used for a long time (winter) I can just plug in my trickle charger and keep the battery fresh. And on the dash for easy access to plug in accessories.

matusky
05-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I took one of the spare fuses in the fusebox (3 amp) and popped it into the spot for the 12v plug...... nothing.

I guess I'm going to have to take things apart to get this working :dontknow:

Roaddog2
05-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Ok, so I picked up my spyder, #3489, DE Tag OMFG.......

The dealer told me that they didn't have a 12v plug to install and it hadn't come in yet, so he knocked off the installation and part cost of the plug and sent me on my way........

I have the trunk liner...... I decided to take a look at the tool kit the other day and to my utter surprise....... there's a 12v plug installed in there...... and for the life of me I can't get power to it!!! I put a 20amp fuse in the "option'' slot in the fusebox thinking that maybe they tied it into that, still doesn't work with the bike on or off......

So do I call the dealer and ask for help with the accessory......... that I have, ..........that they installed, ...............that I didn't pay for.......... that doesn't work???? ;

Any suggestions? service manual or call another dealer they are expensive though around 139.00 should have mine any day now. :spyder:do you think they did it or factory :bigthumbsup:

matusky
05-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Nah.... I think they did it..... I'm pretty sure the factory doesn't ship them with the plugs pre-installed....... anyone else care to comment? I'm not really sure but I'm just guessing that because it seems that everyone's getting them as a dealer installed option. :dontknow:

Spyder (FIN)
05-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Our dealer forgot to put that in when he installed our 12 volt outlets too.

I had similar experience.

bjt
05-13-2008, 06:48 PM
I had similar experience.

I realize this is off topic but...

Welcome to SpyderLover's Spyder (FIN). It's good to see more of the European Spyders showing up. Have fun riding!

:spyder: :doorag: :bigthumbsup: :congrats: :welcome:

Spyder (FIN)
05-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Welcome to SpyderLover's Spyder (FIN). It's good to see more of the European Spyders showing up. Have fun riding!

Thank you very much. :)

I can't thank you guys enough for all the useful information and tips I've already got from this site. As my Spyder is one of the first ones in Finland, it's still a bit difficult to get anything Spyder related information or accessories from here.

btw. *Useless bit of information* Did you know that first Spyder in Europe was delivered to end customer in Finland January 15th? Link to article -> http://www.mpmaailma.fi/index.php?news=3&news_id=1583 (sorry... it's in Finnish) :P

bjt
05-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Nah.... I think they did it..... I'm pretty sure the factory doesn't ship them with the plugs pre-installed....... anyone else care to comment? I'm not really sure but I'm just guessing that because it seems that everyone's getting them as a dealer installed option. :dontknow:

I don't think the factory is installing the 12 volt outlets. I would hope not anyways as the hole in the trunk of my Spyder was not what I would consider a factory finish. There was a large ridge of melted plastic / plastic burrs around the hole that caused the nut to not sit flat which I believe contributed to my outlet being loose and the power wires coming off. It wasn't hard at all to smooth that out as I just used a small plier to break off the burrs. I think the dealership had some young kid install the 12 volt and he didn't even think to smooth the backside of the hole.

So did you get your 12 volt working yet?

matusky
05-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Actually no..... haven't gotten it working yet..... I'm having too much fun on it just riding around! :bigthumbsup:

bjt
05-15-2008, 04:56 PM
When are you going to start having fun tearing the panels off and putting many various mods on the Spyder like the rest of us? :joke: ;D

matusky
05-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Soon enough bjt...... soon enough :bigthumbsup: