PDA

View Full Version : Installed Airlift System for rear shock...

Firefly
04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
I finally got around to installing this. The manufacturer is offering a $50 factory rebate. Here's a link that has the product as well as a link to the rebate forms.

You can buy these units many different places-- and the rebate doesn't matter where you buy from.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/air-lift-25850-single-path-standard-duty-air-compressor-system?gclid=CLXB4dr3hrYCFeZFMgodq2wA3w

--------------------------------

A few notes:

I don't show a photo here, but there is another T-connector in the rear that I placed right off the Schrader Valve that is under the seat. That way I can still use that valve if needed.

The compressor that came with the kit died after trying it just once. Was testing entire system before really installing it all and it ran for 20 seconds, quit and just died. So I bought a Slime air compressor which is smaller and used that. The connector from the stock compressor can be removed and then installed on the Slime unit. The slime unit has standard 'battery tender' type power connections which made it easy to wire. Maybe I just got a bum compressor, but I see they also sell a heavy-duty compressor that can be used... so that might tell you something. Will see how well the Slime unit holds up.

Since I left the Schrader Valve still hooked to the system, I should be able to connect a hose to that, kick the air compressor on and use it to fill tires, etc. Will have to try that.

The gauge is really cool as it has the buttons for turning the compressor on and also releasing air built in... so you can simply adjust rear shock pillow air pressure on the fly. It's also back-lit.

For the gauge power I just tapped into the previous fuel gauge power line. For the compressor I ran a line back to the battery.

Oh.. and they did include a low-pressure switch that can run in parallel so it can automatically add air if it drops too low. I chose NOT to install that.

Works like a charm and looks factory. Love it!

Any questions.. just ask....

Here's some pics.

cjackg
04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
So, does your RT not have the BRP automatic Airbag adjustment system?

I have used the airlift package on a truck before and it is a nice alternative that gives you a lot of control and an accurate picture of what is going on.

Firefly
04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
So, does your RT not have the BRP automatic Airbag adjustment system?

I have used the airlift package on a truck before and it is a nice alternative that gives you a lot of control and an accurate picture of what is going on.

No, my RT did not have that option installed, and if I understand correctly the BRP option doesn't have a gauge and maybe doesn't allow adjustment while riding? Not to mention I think the BRP option was like $400.

This cost me $150 and a few hours work.

DrewNJ
04-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Nice setup!!
I was thinking about adding the slime compressor to the manual BRP air shock I retrofitted to my RS. My concern was that the slime compressor wouldn't hold and maintain the pressure.
Does your setup rely on the slime compressor to maintain pressure or is there a one way valve somewhere??
Thanks!
Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjackg
04-10-2013, 06:21 PM
No, my RT did not have that option installed, and if I understand correctly the BRP option doesn't have a gauge and maybe doesn't allow adjustment while riding? Not to mention I think the BRP option was like $400.

This cost me $150 and a few hours work.

That is pretty much true and the pkg you installed is way better than the one on my 2012 Ltd which often leaves me wondering what it is doing....:(

The BRP option (RTS & Ltd) decides what is the best pressure in the airbag based on load... your option allows you to adjust the pressure based on what works best!

Chupaca
04-10-2013, 06:25 PM
looks like it has worked well in the installation all fit nicely. Congrats..!! Hope it works out as well..!!:ohyea:

retired1
04-10-2013, 08:19 PM
That is pretty much true and the pkg you installed is way better than the one on my 2012 Ltd which often leaves me wondering what it is doing....:(

The BRP option (RTS & Ltd) decides what is the best pressure in the airbag based on load... your option allows you to adjust the pressure based on what works best!
On my 2010 RTS, I can adjust the pressure on the go using the gauge that is displayed on the dash.

TicketBait
04-10-2013, 11:25 PM
On my 2010 RTS, I can adjust the pressure on the go using the gauge that is displayed on the dash.

mine too:agree:, but I like what you did Firefly:thumbup:

Firefly
04-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Nice setup!!
I was thinking about adding the slime compressor to the manual BRP air shock I retrofitted to my RS. My concern was that the slime compressor wouldn't hold and maintain the pressure.
Does your setup rely on the slime compressor to maintain pressure or is there a one way valve somewhere??
Thanks!
Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you attach the tubing well, it will hold just fine. When the compressor isn't running it's not going to allow air to leak out. The Slime compressor is a single, open-piston type of pump.... so when the compressor motor stops, the piston stops and thus holds the pressure. I don't believe it has any control valves in it.

I had some slow leakage before doing all this.. but I guess this is pretty typical... just a slow leak... like 5 lbs down over a few week period. Now I can keep a better eye on it.

kentuckyguy
04-11-2013, 06:39 AM
I wouldnt mind having this on my RT.. I am always having to add air to the system...

StanProff
04-11-2013, 06:46 AM

:thumbup: I like the factory set up. I set it and forget about it. With the guage display and the adjustment on the fly if needed, works well. I like the fact that it will auto adjust for the load on the bike.

Ben Burped
09-20-2014, 09:36 PM
Genius, pure genius.:bowdown:

redflasher
09-21-2014, 08:08 AM
I wouldnt mind having this on my RT.. I am always having to add air to the system...

I was adding air daily as it would leak out over night. I finally took it to the dealer(Best warranty) and left it for a few days. My service print out shows they opened the air line to the shock bladder and then resealed it with pipe dope and Teflon tape. $56.00 deductible on warranty. Service manager says they aired it to 60 psi and it held overnight. Took me a week to get back to the dealer and it was at 57 psi. Service manager topped it off and I rode it home. 2 days later it had leaked down to 30 psi. That was 3 days ago. I wonder what it will indicate today?

finless
09-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Dude, that is a sweet setup!

If my compressor ever fails, etc... I will probably replace it with this setup!

I would image I have to unhook the level sensor since I can manually adjust and Nanny might get upset?

Bob

redflasher
09-22-2014, 07:15 AM
I was adding air daily as it would leak out over night. I finally took it to the dealer(Best warranty) and left it for a few days. My service print out shows they opened the air line to the shock bladder and then resealed it with pipe dope and Teflon tape. $56.00 deductible on warranty. Service manager says they aired it to 60 psi and it held overnight. Took me a week to get back to the dealer and it was at 57 psi. Service manager topped it off and I rode it home. 2 days later it had leaked down to 30 psi. That was 3 days ago. I wonder what it will indicate today?

I'll answer my own question. Air pressure down to zero again. Obviously, the repair did not work. Aired it up and went for a nice long ride. Weather is so nice here in Minnesota that I really hate to dump the spyder at the dealer again. Not that many riding days left here.

DrewNJ
09-22-2014, 07:33 AM
I'll answer my own question. Air pressure down to zero again. Obviously, the repair did not work. Aired it up and went for a nice long ride. Weather is so nice here in Minnesota that I really hate to dump the spyder at the dealer again. Not that many riding days left here.
You might as well finish the season and let your dealer look into it over the winter. It's a hassle having to air up before every ride but at least you can ride....

Oldmanzues
09-22-2014, 08:56 AM
I bought the "Basic" 2010 RT without the onboard system. I added the Baker built system (SL sponsor)soon after and it has been trouble free. Short version, on board compressor added to a outlet in trunk. A advantage to this system is the compressor has several feet of cord to the outlet, then a few more on the detachable hose.I t hook to the underseat valve in use. I have used it to "air up" a couple other peoples bikes. One was a Spyder which got a few stares from the onlookers at the eating place. then a guy with a flat tire. I "loaned him" a tire plug.
I can not remember the cost, but I think it was a little more then$150 here
Oldmanzues

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-22-2014, 11:14 AM
I finally got around to installing this. The manufacturer is offering a $50 factory rebate. Here's a link that has the product as well as a link to the rebate forms.

You can buy these units many different places-- and the rebate doesn't matter where you buy from.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/air-lift-25850-single-path-standard-duty-air-compressor-system?gclid=CLXB4dr3hrYCFeZFMgodq2wA3w

I see nothing about a rebate.