PDA

View Full Version : Top Speed

SGSpyderGirl
04-10-2013, 08:44 AM
This past weekend I did a ride with a group of 12 bikes (course i was the only spyder) and did a lot of open roads and what not and decided to see what the top speed was on the spyder and it seemed to top out in 5th gear at 110 (kinda sucked because I got left by the few busa's, R1's etc) The only thing it seemed to surpass was the one 250 and 600 that was in the group. Didnt know if anyone else had opened up their spyder to see what its top speed was. Mine is a 2008 so im not sure if the newer ones vary.
I know its acceleration couldnt keep up with the faster bikes at all, I think all of them even the smaller ones had it on that, or maybe its operator error lol still learning its gearing really of what it likes and doesnt.

Did do some pretty hard twisties with it to on the opposite end of the ride, few times it had me nervous and I think I will be adjusting the suspension to handle tight turns a tad better

ma and pa
04-10-2013, 09:33 AM
The best i could get out of mine was 105 mph 20012rt

SPYD3R
04-10-2013, 09:37 AM
my 2009 RS tops out at 75 mph...... it has a 'RESTRICTOR' on it.... and that restrictor would be: ME... :clap:
if you're looking for a ROCKET, you bought the wrong ryde... although it's plenty fast for me, it is not for everyone...
plz ryde carefully...

Fire Joe
04-10-2013, 09:51 AM
I tested mine out last year (08 GS SM5) and best I can remember I got it up to around 117mph. At the time I had the sport windshield on so a little lower than what came stock and I was practically laying on the center Y panel with my chin very close to the bars so as close as you can get to a full tuck position on a Spyder.

baldeagle55
04-10-2013, 09:54 AM
This past weekend I did a ride with a group of 12 bikes (course i was the only spyder) and did a lot of open roads and what not and decided to see what the top speed was on the spyder and it seemed to top out in 5th gear at 110 (kinda sucked because I got left by the few busa's, R1's etc) The only thing it seemed to surpass was the one 250 and 600 that was in the group. Didnt know if anyone else had opened up their spyder to see what its top speed was. Mine is a 2008 so im not sure if the newer ones vary.
I know its acceleration couldnt keep up with the faster bikes at all, I think all of them even the smaller ones had it on that, or maybe its operator error lol still learning its gearing really of what it likes and doesnt.

Did do some pretty hard twisties with it to on the opposite end of the ride, few times it had me nervous and I think I will be adjusting the suspension to handle tight turns a tad betterthey do have a speed limit and sport bikes should be outlawed

boborgera
04-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Maybe 118/120 mph and that's what the speedo says and not reality., Unless you have a modified Spyder like Doc, And do the flying mile at Bonneville.
Bye the way i Had a Bussa, It will out run any bike, If the rider is crazy enough.:yikes:

grumpybob
04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
total weight to horsepower ratio + operator ability + site seeing ability + staying alive = top speed.

SGSpyderGirl
04-10-2013, 10:38 AM
my 2009 RS tops out at 75 mph...... it has a 'RESTRICTOR' on it.... and that restrictor would be: ME... :clap:
if you're looking for a ROCKET, you bought the wrong ryde... although it's plenty fast for me, it is not for everyone...
plz ryde carefully...

wasnt looking for a "fast bike" I originally came from a HD that I had for four years, just was curious on the stock end as what the sypder could do and opened it up the one time.

I tested mine out last year (08 GS SM5) and best I can remember I got it up to around 117mph. At the time I had the sport windshield on so a little lower than what came stock and I was practically laying on the center Y panel with my chin very close to the bars so as close as you can get to a full tuck position on a Spyder.

Yeah I wasnt down much on mine probably as much as should have been, prob. had alot of drag im sure

Maybe 118/120 mph and that's what the speedo says and not reality., Unless you have a modified Spyder like Doc, And do the flying mile at Bonneville.
Bye the way i Had a Bussa, It will out run any bike, If the rider is crazy enough.:yikes:

Kinda figured that as much, there are vehicles that say a certain speed and dont really do that. Im a fan of busa's but they are just a little to big for me on two wheels and its hard to keep up with them since they are "straight lined" bikes.

Warlock
04-10-2013, 10:43 AM

Did do some pretty hard twisties with it to on the opposite end of the ride, few times it had me nervous and I think I will be adjusting the suspension to handle tight turns a tad betterThat's about right. No way will they Spyders stay with the sports bikes. Now you can outrun some of the cruisers. I have a friend with a 08 model that stays pretty close to my Valkyrie up to 90 and then I pull away from him. Now on curves someone that can ride a Spyder Would probably beat me in curves.
David

Chupaca
04-10-2013, 10:54 AM
and now you know.. Plenty fast for what it was intended for. Has awesome get up and go and at my age I no longer need to get where I'm going before I left...!! :roflblack:

PMay
04-10-2013, 12:05 PM
I tested my 2013 RT and topped out at 200MPH... It was then my alarm went off and I realized I was dreaming hahahahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

greatrides
04-10-2013, 12:18 PM
I ride a 2012 rs se5 I'm 255 pounds and it did 117 mph......

JJW SpyderRider
04-10-2013, 12:19 PM
I tested my 2013 RT and topped out at 200MPH... It was then my alarm went off and I realized I was dreaming hahahahaha

Yea 200 MPH, only in your sleep :roflblack:

lookerjdc
04-10-2013, 12:34 PM
yeah.... when I am highway driving I wish there was a 6th gear.... it does seem to scream in 5th between 80-90 (I've never gone past that)...

asp125
04-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Haven't had mine up past 90 yet, but it felt like it still had some oomph to go. Aren't they electronically limited to 110, IIRC?

jerpinoy
04-10-2013, 01:00 PM

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbl ack:
This is more like it.:banghead:

Kratos
04-10-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't think these Spyder speedos are accurate. My wife road along side me on the interstate in the SUV, and I thought she was speeding (cause my speedo said 80mph). When we got home, she said I wasn't going fast and that when she was beside me her speedo read 73mph.

This would mean my Spyder is 7mph off at high speeds.

ARtraveler
04-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Top speed for me has been 90-95--one time. I have never pushed the :spyder2: to the limiter.

bluestratos
04-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Lol... she asked a simple question, not for your opionion or view on safety. My RT tops out at 95 by GPS. It gets there in a hurry but thats all she wrote when I get close to the mark.

asp125
04-10-2013, 03:04 PM
For some reason most motorcycle (Can Am included) speedos are calibrated to read high. I've had as much as +10% on my bikes. OTOH, I've had Harley riders report their speedos are pretty accurate, go figure.

SethO
04-10-2013, 03:08 PM
they do have a speed limit and sport bikes should be outlawed

I think you should sell your spyder, if you are worried about sport bikes going too fast then you should realize that if you get hit by a prius at 30mph you could be just as dead.. If we are are making goverment policy on here the first 3 things that should be outlawed are alcohol, cigarettes and fast food... but seeing we aren't you should keep your difference of opinion in with the touring side of things you are on.

my 09 se5 when my speedo is at 118 mph is really going 113 mph according to a radar gun.
my speedo at 127 is really 119.2 according to the salt flats.

To keep up to rockets is extremely challenging especially r1's and such but bad weather or tar is your best friend, remember to ride your own bike but baja rons swaybar , elka shocks and a PC with autotune will improve other areas.

coz
04-10-2013, 03:15 PM
mention anything around here that isn't P C , or you'll get ripped up one side and down the other.

boborgera
04-10-2013, 04:03 PM

Or your Wife's speedo is off 7 mph at high speeds. :roflblack:

Kratos
04-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Or your Wife's speedo is off 7 mph at high speeds. :roflblack:

Now this is also true....:roflblack:

ABQAndy
04-10-2013, 04:23 PM
I don't think these Spyder speedos are accurate. My wife road along side me on the interstate in the SUV, and I thought she was speeding (cause my speedo said 80mph). When we got home, she said I wasn't going fast and that when she was beside me her speedo read 73mph.

My speedo is usually within 1 or 2 mph of my GPS.

vrodrjs
04-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Did do some pretty hard twisties with it to on the opposite end of the ride, few times it had me nervous and I think I will be adjusting the suspension to handle tight turns a tad better

I wouldn't feel bad about getting smoked by a bike that will do what your spyder will do before it is even through 3rd gear.

joet82
04-10-2013, 05:28 PM
My personal best, 123. DocDoru's world record is 123.something.

As for ryding with sport bikes. I did a dealership ride a couple years ago in San Diego. I went with the 'more spirited' group. And we went out Smuggler's Run, aka Hwy 94. I was told by one of them during a break that he thought to himself, 'this is going to suck, I'm behind the Spyder'....and then I took off. :-) never dropped below 6th of the 15 or so Sport bikes that were with us in the group.

MrLooney
04-10-2013, 05:54 PM
When I bought my 2011 RS~S :spyder2: in Dec 2012 for the first 15 miles I could only do 30 ~ 35 MPH....... in the 2" or so of snow. But after I finally got it down to the low lands of Utah I cracked the throttle a little more.... Still new on :spyder: I was hesitant to find top end... So I rode on. Finally in Texas early one morning at a fuel stop and sandwich, an old man came up to me to check out my :spyder2: Looking at the Dash and seeing 200, he asked, "Can it really do 200"? "How fast can it go"? My reply was ............................. " HOLD ON FAST " as I cracked the throttle and left 50' of :ani29: STREEEEEEEEEK to remember this :spyder2: :yes::yes::yes:

Tx web rider
04-10-2013, 06:07 PM
2009 se5 touring windshield givi bags and my 305 backside on board totally stock 115 speedo and 112 gps

zbunker
04-10-2013, 06:52 PM

I watched the video of the Spyder running with the wheel lights, (VERY KOOL) and when I went to the other sites, I didn't see where or how to obtain the wheel lights. I saw the motorcycle lights, but not the wheel lights.
Sorry, I can't find it. Could you please advise.
Thanks
Ron

SPYD1
04-10-2013, 08:05 PM
The only thing I can get up to 200 is my bathroom scale:roflblack:

Fire911
04-10-2013, 08:13 PM
My spyder is slow also, topped out at about 117 indicated. I guess I am too use to the speed triple and the ducati.

otter28169
04-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I know mine will do at least 110, but it is the acceleration on the bottom end is what raises the hairs on the back of my neck:doorag:

AMTJIM
04-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Swap to the metric scale on the instruments and you"ll feel much better?

bobnaquin
04-10-2013, 08:37 PM

The original 2008 RS/GS were advertised as being limited to 100mph. To test that I took mine easily up to an honest 114mph (about120 plus on the speedo) and it was still accelerating. Yours may in fact be built with the as advertised speed limiter in it. There seemed to be a lot of variance in the early 2008 Spyders production.

dave01
04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
i think my RS topped out at 119 and the RT would not run over 115. on the GPS. Plenty fast enough to get into trouble though. I kept the Busa for when I really had a dumb moment ( or A FEW OF THEM) and it topped out at 217 on the gps, but thats after a ton of work and money. The Spyder was fun enough though.

boborgera
04-10-2013, 09:05 PM
The original 2008 RS/GS were advertised as being limited to 100mph. To test that I took mine easily up to an honest 114mph (about120 plus on the speedo) and it was still accelerating. Yours may in fact be built with the as advertised speed limiter in it. There seemed to be a lot of variance in the early 2008 Spyders production.

There is no speed limiter, There is a rpm limiter.

blambert
04-11-2013, 01:01 AM
there is always the Turbo mod to get more get up and go - 5k$

Bob Denman
04-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Does it really matter? :dontknow: Riders will lie about: Top Speed, Fuel Economy, Handling Capability, How pretty the girl was that they slept with last night, and pretty much anything else! :roflblack: I've got a client who SWEARS that his 2008 GS was radared at 137 mph... Told him to take it to Bonneville and get his name in the record books...;)

daveinva
04-11-2013, 07:36 AM
112 on the dial, 110 on the GPS. Gotta love interstates in Ohio-- flat, straight, and I was nowhere near the fastest vehicle that day.

Of course, that was just a one-time test. I'll ride over 70 no problem, over 80 in a pinch, even see 90 if passing, but I don't like living up there-- too great a risk of *dying* up there, IMHO. :doorag:

wyliec
04-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Does it really matter? :dontknow: Riders will lie about: I've got a client who SWEARS that his 2008 GS was radared at 137 mph... Told him to take it to Bonneville and get his name in the record books...;)

Bob,

I told you that in confidence; you're such a tattle tail.

Bootie
04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
I think you should sell your spyder, if you are worried about sport bikes going too fast then you should realize that if you get hit by a prius at 30mph you could be just as dead.. If we are are making goverment policy on here the first 3 things that should be outlawed are alcohol, cigarettes and fast food... but seeing we aren't you should keep your difference of opinion in with the touring side of things you are on.
my 09 se5 when my speedo is at 118 mph is really going 113 mph according to a radar gun.
my speedo at 127 is really 119.2 according to the salt flats.

I was out in Bonneville with SethO when he made his run. I also had the opportunity to run mine out on one of Nevada's roads. I got about to 120mph (via the speedometer). I had a bit of a tailwind.

One easy (lawful) way to estimate your theoretical top speed is to note your RPMs and speed. For example, let's say you are running at 4500rpm in 5th gear and your speed is 62mph. If you multiply by 2 your rpm will be 9000 (red line) and your speed would be 124mph. This method, of course, doesn't take aerodynamic drag into account but it does give you a good estimate of your max speed. IMHO :lecturef_smilie:

Oldmanzues
04-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Swap to the metric scale on the instruments and you"ll feel much better?
Thanks for bringing this up. Way back when, I rode a BSA for the first time. The spedometer went flying through 100 10 times ( seemed like) faster then my HD 80 inch flat head. It just wanted to keep going. I decided the Fla cops would not like this or my USAF commander, so I slowed down. Then the owner said, it was a metric speedo. I had no idea what that meant, so he explained that. I also found out, a 650cc is not bigger then a 80 cubic inch engine.

Bob Denman
04-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Bob,
I told you that in confidence; you're such a tattle tail. :opps: But in your case; you weren't lying! :thumbup:

zrc
04-11-2013, 10:19 AM
I think the speedo can be off pending your setup.

I have been around 118 on my speedo, based on my regular driving, passing cops, and "oh shizz" moments I believe my speedo to be off by somewhere near 8% to 10% of speed stated, therefore it scales up in its incorrectness.

Push the bike as hard as you like without red lining the RPMs and blowing the engine. that is my motto.

NancysToy
04-11-2013, 10:50 AM
I was out in Bonneville with SethO when he made his run. I also had the opportunity to run mine out on one of Nevada's roads. I got about to 120mph (via the speedometer). I had a bit of a tailwind.

One easy (lawful) way to estimate your theoretical top speed is to note your RPMs and speed. For example, let's say you are running at 4500rpm in 5th gear and your speed is 62mph. If you multiply by 2 your rpm will be 9000 (red line) and your speed would be 124mph. This method, of course, doesn't take aerodynamic drag into account but it does give you a good estimate of your max speed. IMHO :lecturef_smilie:
Very difficult to get many production vehicles up to redline in high gear. This may be a good estimate of the potential top speed, but when the drag, which increases as a function of the square of the speed, overcomes the horsepower, your tach isn't gonna go any higher unless your clutch starts to slip. :)

bzbaeren
04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Does it really matter? :dontknow: Riders will lie about: Top Speed, Fuel Economy, Handling Capability, How pretty the girl was that they slept with last night, and pretty much anything else! :roflblack: I've got a client who SWEARS that his 2008 GS was radared at 137 mph... Told him to take it to Bonneville and get his name in the record books...;)

Great response to all the above.;)

PMay
04-11-2013, 02:52 PM
My speedo is usually within 1 or 2 mph of my GPS.

Im to fat for a speedo, uh ummm oops, we were talking speedometers!!! My Bad!!! Bows head in shame!!! :banghead:

docdoru
04-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Very entertainment posts...;)

docdoru
04-11-2013, 05:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTfKJFrUi9w

Bob Denman
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
:yikes: THAT'S why I'm such a sissy... :yikes:

Bob Ledford
04-11-2013, 06:23 PM
My2011 RTL goes faster then I do. Which is fast enough. If anyone asks me the standard reply is "fast enough to wet your drawers."

i have yet to venture past 75 on I-95

SpyderDen
04-11-2013, 06:28 PM
My2011 RTL goes faster then I do. Which is fast enough. If anyone asks me the standard reply is "fast enough to wet your drawers."

i have yet to venture past 75 on I-95
I have yet to venture past 95 on I-75 :dontknow:
Maybe I'm reading the signs wrong.

kentuckyguy
04-11-2013, 08:43 PM
The 09 RS that I use to have, I see 117 mph out of it.. Seemed that it might have a bit more but not much..

PistonBlown
04-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Find the bendy roads - that's where the fun is on any bike and that's where on a Spyder you can give the sports bikes a fright. Never really seen the point of straight roads:)

Spy+
04-12-2013, 07:14 PM
My spyder is slow also, topped out at about 117 indicated. I guess I am too use to the speed triple and the ducati.

I like your thinking.. Spyder up to 116mpg on the GPS and the Ducati at 135mph..time for a Panigale:thumbup:

scooterexpress
04-13-2013, 07:06 AM
2up 115mph,still had some throttle left not much but some.

SPYDERGUY1
04-15-2013, 09:07 PM
115 mph with high windshield, stock machine, hot sunday on a lonely highway in Montana, heading back from Great falls to St Mary's ( road to the rising sun ). It was one of those, I GOTTA KNOW , rides, pretty much had all it took, may have squeeked a minute few mph, but I was ok with that. Probably a good thing, even as getting closer to home base SURPRISE , RADAR, and boy did they have the customers. I tried it, did it, somewhat liked it, know what it can do and will ride on from there. P.S. for the metric converts or curious 185 KMH.

arris
04-15-2013, 09:37 PM

I just had an operation. They took out my right kidney because of cancer. But when the Dr releases me, I will coming looking for you and your busa. Are there any dragstrips close to where you live. I would like to keep this legal. And not with my spyder but a 1958 HD sporster.
Thank you

boborgera
04-15-2013, 11:12 PM
I just had an operation. They took out my right kidney because of cancer. But when the Dr releases me, I will coming looking for you and your busa. Are there any dragstrips close to where you live. I would like to keep this legal. And not with my spyder but a 1958 HD sporster.
Thank you

Yea i know about kidney's almost lost one back in 67.
Glad you beat the big ''C'', :thumbup: The Busa is long gone, Now my 3 wheel ride is a Tri-Glide, And my two wheel ride is a Kaw 6n., The last time i raced at a strip was in 69, I did do a few time trials back in the early 70's with a Dune Buggy i was building just to get the engine set up and running right.

Farmboy
04-16-2013, 05:47 AM
My RT see's 200 mph all the time!!!.........."Wind" from a leaf blower that I use to dry her off after washing;)

Bob Denman
04-16-2013, 06:58 AM
It's not actually what they'll do when you've got their ears pinned back and are WFO... :shocked:
It's what the casual onlooker's reaction is, when they see "200" on the analog speedometer that counts! :roflblack:

BigAbyss
04-19-2013, 01:58 AM
I topped mine at 125mph and I am a big guy (over 300 lbs). It actually has the same kind of concept as a sport bike but slower, meaning the top gear(5th) is a cruising gear so I red lined mine in 3rd then red lined in 4th and I was at 125mph. May have only been 118 if the speedo is off as you all are suggesting.

Bob Denman
04-19-2013, 06:39 AM
You should put yours on the Salt at Bonneville... A little tuning, and you've got to have enough in it for 135mph...easy! ;)

Questions
04-19-2013, 08:42 AM

I have a 2012 RSS SM5. My previous top speed was 118, but since i took my fenders off it maxed out at 126. Dont know if its the weight i took off the bike or maybe, the lack of wind resistence due to the fenders, or maybe both. I can tell you that without the femders on it, she is really touchy at high speeds

Can-Am Poogs
04-19-2013, 09:21 AM
I took mine out of storage yesterday. Took it for a buzz down the highway. Throttle open all the way, 170 km/h, which is 105 mph. Oddly enough on the tac that is only 7000 rpm. It would be nice if there was another 2000 to 3000 rpm more that it would go. That said, going those speed is crazy, but it was one of those moments I just wanted to see what was there. 2012 RTS.

Sny
04-21-2013, 10:43 AM
I think you should sell your spyder, if you are worried about sport bikes going too fast then you should realize that if you get hit by a prius at 30mph you could be just as dead.. If we are are making goverment policy on here the first 3 things that should be outlawed are alcohol, cigarettes and fast food.
Impressive display of wisdom there SethO :thumbup:

Power commander, turbo, big bore kit, maybe a little nitrous

The Spyders have extra weight, extra rubber on the road, and a lot of plastic in the wind.

You can reduce the weight, mess with tire pressure and change the aerodynamics (smaller windshield, fenders, front airdam) and squeeze some more speed out.

Or you can just enjoy what you have. 100mph ain't slow

shooter
04-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Had my wife's 09 GS-SM5 to 110.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-05-2013, 08:20 AM
At Spyderfest 2013, I didn't have either of my Spyders.....But my Lady Dee let me run her 2012 RT in the Drags and I was quite surprised the it did 88 -89 MPH in the 1/4 mile consistently......( and it's stock ).........Mike :thumbup:

jenmom22
05-05-2013, 08:35 AM
plz ryde carefully...

I like your restrictor - I tend to never go more than 5 above the speed limit. Speed limit down here is 75, and it's 85 on the toll road.

Bob Denman
05-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Okay; time for some Hyper-Jets and another dosage of "Ludicrous Speed"! :roflblack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7VWcuVOf0

lookerjdc
05-05-2013, 04:53 PM
At Spyderfest 2013, I didn't have either of my Spyders.....But my Lady Dee let me run her 2012 RT in the Drags and I was quite surprised the it did 98 -99 MPH in the 1/4 mile consistently......( and it's stock ).........Mike :thumbup:

wasnt Doc and Lamonster doing like 110 at the drags/Spyderfest?

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-05-2013, 05:56 PM
wasnt Doc and Lamonster doing like 110 at the drags/Spyderfest?

I am pretty sure Doc went 118 + mph ,,,,LaMont ???????.......Mike ,,,,,and I have corrected my orig posted speeds...:gaah: :agree:

Flanker
05-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Haven't tried to top my RSS out yet. Maybe 110?? If I want BIG SPEED..................I bust out my ZX14 and scare the snot outta myself. The Spyder is comfortable, and fun to ride, given it's power to weight ratio.

rabtech
05-06-2013, 09:58 AM
I have a 2013 rt limited with only a two brothers silencer. With windshield in down position and helmet tucked to glovebox and slight tailwind and a infinite interstate it will run 101 on the GPS that is provided with the limited. I think it shows 106 on the speedo.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!

JBurk
05-06-2013, 08:26 PM

I saw 123 a few times on my 2009 SE5

hill27
05-06-2013, 09:56 PM
I have 2012 RT Limited had my up to 100 that plent fast for me.

carm044
05-07-2013, 10:21 AM
That fastest I have gone was 121mph, that 's what the speedo said; I need to radar it or have someone tail me in a car. I'm 250lbs, I was surprised to see how fast I was going. It would be a bummer to find out my speedo was/is off :sour:.

Bob Denman
05-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Just remember; :lecturef_smilie: A lot of Guardian Angels can't fly that fast... :shocked:

ARCTIC
05-07-2013, 11:27 AM
sport bikes should be outlawed

Gtfo!!!! Do you need the government to save you? North Korea has a well structured set of rules to follow. We'd be happy to send you ;)

Bob Denman
05-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Gtfo!!!! Do you need the government to save you? North Korea has a well structured set of rules to follow. We'd be happy to send you ;)
:shocked: Everybody is entitled to an opinion... "GTFO"?? :shocked:
Personally; I wouldn't own or ride one myself; but they are pretty to look at! :thumbup:

ARCTIC
05-07-2013, 12:37 PM
:shocked: Everybody is entitled to an opinion... "GTFO"?? :shocked:
Personally; I wouldn't own or ride one myself; but they are pretty to look at! :thumbup:

That's why I expressed my opinion bob :coffee: maybe I'm a little aggressive for the spyder forum crowd? :ohyea:

Bob Denman
05-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Just sayin...
Where I'm from; that's not exactly the kind of thing said in Polite Company...:opps:

ARCTIC
05-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Just sayin...
Where I'm from; that's not exactly the kind of thing said in Polite Company...:opps:
I'll tone it down:cheers:.

boborgera
05-07-2013, 01:33 PM
I stopped smoking [1970] so they should be outlawed, I stopped riding sport bikes so they should be outlawed, And some day the inevitable will happen and have stop ridding trikes, so they should be outlawed.[after i can't ride]
Never broke a bone on a sport bike, Did on snowmobiles. So........

Remember it's not the machine that's dangerous , It's the nut riding it...

Bob Denman
05-08-2013, 06:43 AM
ARCTIC, PM sent...
... And I should apologize out here too for jumping like that. :opps: It wasn't right of me.:opps:

Bob Ledford
05-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Did you keep the RevS up high all the time?

another trick is to find out when YOUR engine enters it's peak power curve and runs out of it. Running past the peak of the curve is counter productive as is running under it. That is if you want to be competitive which is totally up to you.

Littlebadwolf
05-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Not quite sure what to think about top end on the Spyder...If I recall correctly Doc hit 117 on the speed trials on the Salt Flats with a highly modified motor...What gives?...Is it due to the quarter mile on the flats versus getting up to speed on the longer run? Curious minds want to know.

boborgera
05-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Not quite sure what to think about top end on the Spyder...If I recall correctly Doc hit 117 on the speed trials on the Salt Flats with a highly modified motor...What gives?...Is it due to the quarter mile on the flats versus getting up to speed on the longer run? Curious minds want to know.

The run a the salt flats [Bonneville] Isn't 1/4 mile, It's a flying mile. You run the vehicle at speed though a mile long timing trap, One run up and one run down to measure top speed, I think Doc holds the record at 133 mph. give or take?

NVERLAST1
07-29-2013, 04:51 PM
I got to 126 on long highway

tommyoneleg
07-29-2013, 09:16 PM
It is simple Power to weight ratio. Super bikes will always blow these bikes away. I have ridden super bikes from zx7r to gsxr1100's I used to buy a new one every other year from 1985 up until a few years ago. I lost my whole right leg and pelvis due to my dumb self, corvette, and a telephone pole. LOL. So now I am driving a spyder 2009 gs/rs, it has a two brothers pipe and juice box but it will never touch any of the bikes I used to ride. I love the bike but it is slow compared to them but you put any cruiser next to me and I will blow it away. It all comes down to power to weight know what they are.

NancysToy
07-29-2013, 09:29 PM
It is simple Power to weight ratio. Super bikes will always blow these bikes away. I have ridden super bikes from zx7r to gsxr1100's I used to buy a new one every other year from 1985 up until a few years ago. I lost my whole right leg and pelvis due to my dumb self, corvette, and a telephone pole. LOL. So now I am driving a spyder 2009 gs/rs, it has a two brothers pipe and juice box but it will never touch any of the bikes I used to ride. I love the bike but it is slow compared to them but you put any cruiser next to me and I will blow it away. It all comes down to power to weight know what they are.
Acceleration is about power to weight ratios. Top speed is more power to drag...mostly wind resistance. A very heavy vehicle with minimal power can go very fast if it is slippery enough and has a long enough run. A Spyder has an uphill road to climb in either category...It is relatively heavy (compared to a sport bike) and has the aerodynamics of a sheet of tattered plywood being pushed perpendicular to its surface.

Spyder Tony
07-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Had my ST ltd up to 125...backed off voluntarily, but she was still wanting to give more. Im on a stock setup...no slip on exhaust or juicebox. Just good ol' Premium Unleaded

tommyoneleg
07-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Acceleration is about power to weight ratios. Top speed is more power to drag...mostly wind resistance. A very heavy vehicle with minimal power can go very fast if it is slippery enough and has a long enough run. A Spyder has an uphill road to climb in either category...It is relatively heavy (compared to a sport bike) and has the aerodynamics of a sheet of tattered plywood being pushed perpendicular to its surface.

A spider has an uphill climb only because of the gear setting, the sprocket set up needs to be adjusted, that alone would change everything. As for the aerodynamics of the bike it is not as bad as you are trying to make it. Replacing the engine and taking it over to a chain driven bike would make this bike would it should be. Doing so it not a lot of work if you know a little about fabricating some parts and a little frame work. They should have designed this bike with a sport rider in mind not a cruiser in mind or at the very least they should have to completely separate designs. If you put enough horse power on a sheet of tattered plywood I bet it would go fast, it is really only power to weight and gearing if you follow that you can get a garbage can to go fast.

NancysToy
07-30-2013, 10:06 AM
A spider has an uphill climb only because of the gear setting, the sprocket set up needs to be adjusted, that alone would change everything. As for the aerodynamics of the bike it is not as bad as you are trying to make it. Replacing the engine and taking it over to a chain driven bike would make this bike would it should be. Doing so it not a lot of work if you know a little about fabricating some parts and a little frame work. They should have designed this bike with a sport rider in mind not a cruiser in mind or at the very least they should have to completely separate designs. If you put enough horse power on a sheet of tattered plywood I bet it would go fast, it is really only power to weight and gearing if you follow that you can get a garbage can to go fast.
I respectfully disagree. You cannot argue with physics and math. The Spyder is filthy, aerodynamically speaking, and has three times the frontal area of a bike. As speed increases, the power requirements rise as an exponential function of the drag. You have to add gobs and gobs of horsepower, or you have to cheat the wind. In drag racing it is different. Aerodynamics enters into it at speed, but the power to weight ratio and the traction rule. I have raced for many decades...including drag racing and land speed racing. I have built dozens of successful racing motorcycles, cars, boats, and sleds. These are solid principles, based in physics and math. To paraphrase an old adage, racers that ignore them try hard, racers that understand them go fast.

Bob Denman
07-30-2013, 11:23 AM
:agree: The frontal area alone will kill you on WFO runs without spending cubinc dollars for more horsepower...
So why not just enjoy them for what they are? :dontknow:

spydaman60
07-30-2013, 12:15 PM
I ride a 2012 rs se5 I'm 255 pounds and it did 117 mph......ditto bike, ditto body weight plus 5, and 3 mph less!:thumbup:

ARCTIC
07-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Drag increases as the square of speed. That is, while power increases in a linear fashion, drag increases exponentially with speed, in a parabolic function. For example (neglecting the effect of rolling resistance), if 100 horsepower would push a certain vehicle 100 miles per hour through the air, doubling the speed to 200 would require two-squared or 400 horsepower to overcome air resistance, while 300 miles per hour would require 900 horsepower.

Bob Denman
07-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Now we're back to Math-sounding stuff again! 72873 :gaah:
But of course; you ARE correct! :thumbup:

reverendg
07-30-2013, 01:08 PM
The F4 Phantom was proof that if you put a big enough engine on a brick you can do Mach 2.

rabtech
07-30-2013, 01:18 PM
I kinda understand his thought pattern. However, I am a science guy. And I also know it takes a 1000 hp to get a sleek and aerodynamic car to 270mph. Drag and gravity are a guarantee.

Sent from my Galaxy S3. I may have made a spelling error or may have some grammer issues. My fingers are way to big to type on this tiny screen!

rabtech
07-30-2013, 01:29 PM
And if you want to go 150 to 200 MPG go get you a BMW 1000 RR. I have personally seen one pull the front tire up at 135mph without feathering the clutch. Just by twisting the throttle. And the rider was a good 250 pounds. Now that is raw power. Actually raw torque.

Michael211_2000
08-11-2013, 11:18 AM
I think it's pretty much agreed from reading this topic, that nobody really want's to get their Spyder's up to 200mph... so what get's me is, why did Can-Am build them with a 200 mph speedometer? It'll never get the needle much past ~120mph after all (just over half what the speedo can indicate)... is it just a marketing tactic to make prospective buyers *think* these machines will actually approach 200 mph? :cus:

I've only been up to 65mph on my 2012 RS, because that was the speed limit on the highway I was on and I didn't want to be holding up traffic too much (most traffic wanted to go ~70mph, but bite me!). That was uber-fast to me (I'm used to driving a big 1-ton dually pickup truck, so sitting low and exposed in the wind on a Spyder makes it seem like I'm approaching Ludicrous speed already!).

- Michael

ARCTIC
08-11-2013, 12:23 PM
I think it's pretty much agreed from reading this topic, that nobody really want's to get their Spyder's up to 200mph... so what get's me is, why did Can-Am build them with a 200 mph speedometer? It'll never get the needle much past ~120mph after all (just over half what the speedo can indicate)... is it just a marketing tactic to make prospective buyers *think* these machines will actually approach 200 mph? :cus:

I've only been up to 65mph on my 2012 RS, because that was the speed limit on the highway I was on and I didn't want to be holding up traffic too much (most traffic wanted to go ~70mph, but bite me!). That was uber-fast to me (I'm used to driving a big 1-ton dually pickup truck, so sitting low and exposed in the wind on a Spyder makes it seem like I'm approaching Ludicrous speed already!).

- Michael the reason the gauge goes to 200 is because you can switch it over to kph

SpydeRider2010
08-11-2013, 03:26 PM
the most I was EVER able to get mine to was...
132mph. this was on a LONG, downhill (4% grade),
straight away. don't know if it would've gone much
faster than that.... but I was about to run out of
room, it was about my comfort level, and there was
a state trooper set up over the next rise.

did it once... so I'm done with it. haven't tried it
since. have hit the 110 mark a couple of times since,
but just a couple.

coz
08-11-2013, 07:41 PM
wow.................and everybody gave me hell for a ten second drag race that reached a blistering 85 mph. but it's ok to bust 120:gaah: w t :cus:.

Dan McNally
08-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Fastest I ever got to was .95 MACH . . . but it was in the right seat of an FB-111. My Spyder goes "fast enough" and not a bit faster!

willey
08-11-2013, 08:08 PM
my speed on our 2013 RTS is rite on with my gps.

Spy+
08-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Spyders are great and fun machines, and they were designed to go fast enough. When I got the itch to go faster than enough, I bought a Ducati streetfighter. The spyder is a brilliantnojoke

here is my medicne for the itch to go a little faster than my spyder...lol