PDA

View Full Version : ISCI Adjustable handlebars risers VS Kewl Metal adjustable handlebar risers ?

kawakii
04-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Hi Everyone,

Now that the boyfriend has bought a Harley two wheeler I'm finally thinking about making some adjustments more for me on the Spyder RSS. I'd like to install handlebar risers, I have the 1 inch riser already installed but for a 5'1 girl on a good day sometimes the lean is still too much. I had considered risers in the past but since we only had the Spyder and I was more a passenger then a driver it got put on the back burner.

I'm set of doing the adjustable so when the boyfriend (jake) rides or we drive two up me as passenger he can have the bars back to the lower height and when I drive I can adjust them up to where they are comfortable for me :)

I know two companies make adjustable risers ... ISCI and Kewl Metal ?

Any opinions or reviews of the two ?

What do you have ?

Recommendations ?

We have an ISCI Handbrake installed since I'm a paraplegic and need it to stop :) so I know ISCI is a great company and has good quality products.

Any help would be great !

YPILOT
04-10-2013, 04:31 AM
I haven't seen the two side by side but have seen the Kewl Metal adjustable bars and they were heavy duty. I also was interested in a set of adjustable bars when I found that ISCI had a set. I bought the set from ISCI but haven't installed them yet. I have the Kewl Metal console and 5 inch bar on now so I ordered the mini bar from Kewl Metal that they recommenend for their adjustable bars. If you have the stock handle bar console you won't need the mini bar but will have to cut the stock bars just as you would to install most risers. I also have the ISCI handbrake as well as their highway pegs so I knew that the quality would be great. The adjustable bars look great and I'm looking forward to getting them installed in the next week or so. The ISCI bars were less expensive and they give additional discounts to enabled ryders so I would give them a call. Dennis

Texmac1011
04-10-2013, 06:02 AM
My wife and I were in the exact same situation. We rode 2 up on the Spyder then I bought my bike. We looked at different set ups and went with the helibars. She is 5'-2" and they work great for her. They are not adjustable but, in her words, if we are going riding she is riding her bike and I am welcome to sit behind her if I don't want to ride my bike. :p

oldgoat
04-10-2013, 09:23 AM
I have the Kewl Metal risers on my '08 GS. They were a bit scary to install as you have to cut the ends off the existing bars as well as remove some plastic to get more cable length dug out from the bowls.

However, once that was all done they are great with "lots" of adjustment. Also they are beautifully made.

I'm very happy with them. I'm 5'8"

bullant12
04-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Both companies make excellent products. However, as stated above, ISCI does good discounts to enabled rYdes and if you go down to their factory in Alabama, they will even help you with the installation. You can call both and see who gives you the best deal. Good luck!!

pro10is
04-10-2013, 01:33 PM
I have the Kewl Metal risers and they are excellent. The wide adjustability in multiple directions allows you to choose the best fit for you. I also installed the BRP 1" riser for even more height and can now ride my RS-S in the same full upright position as an RT. The cable length was no problem although you'll probably need to cut a cable tie to free up more slack (this is explained in the Kewl Metal instructions). The Kewl Metal hardware is super heavy duty and will never give you problems if installed properly. Installation is not difficult although it should be done by someone with decent skills because of the safety issue.

I can't comment on the ISCI risers because I don't have them but I have bought other products from them before and their quality goes beyond excellent. So you can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

Firefly
04-10-2013, 02:00 PM
One thing I would consider is how responsive the company is. ISCI not only makes great products, they run a really class act of a company and take good care of people.

Some have had problems with Kewlmetal having delays in shipping and responding to customers.

As with anything... your mileage may vary.

kawakii
04-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks Everyone :) Just ordered the ISCI ones - I appreciate being able to order directly from the people making the product and that they offer a disabled discount. Got a good deal and came in cheaper then Kewl Metal especially with shipping. Can't wait to get them ! I'm planning on driving alot more for longer rides this season now that the boyfriend has his Harley
!

Daisyjoe
04-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Just got 4" risers installed this week on my '10 RS. It makes so much difference in the ride. Well worth the money.

Chupaca
04-12-2013, 12:57 AM
you made a choice. It's hard to find many if any that have tried both so you have allot who like what they've got. I'm sure you will be happy with your choice..!! :ohyea:

kawakii
04-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Thanks ! I will post pictures of them installed. Seems like we dont have many people which have ISCI adjustable handlebars here so now I'll upload a review and also pictures so people can compare look, etc... in the future.

4uising
06-03-2016, 09:20 AM
I've been reading the posts on here....they're helpful. I just recently bought a 2011 RS-S SM5 Model, and I'm 4'11" and I know I will want to install the risers for a more comfortable ride. Now, I just need to decide which risers to install.