PDA

View Full Version : Coolant loss

Rayelljay
04-09-2013, 06:35 PM
2011 RS SM5.....12,000 miles....I don't know whether I have the dreaded coolant reservoir split but I've noticed a small loss of coolant during the last month or so...its not a gusher...just an eggcup full from time to time but today when I checked I noticed it was about half an inch below the minimum level indicator. Its not a continuous leak but that eggcupfull appears as the machine cools after a ryde......do I have a problem...?

Jeriatric
04-09-2013, 06:42 PM
2011 RS SM5.....12,000 miles....I don't know whether I have the dreaded coolant reservoir split but I've noticed a small loss of coolant during the last month or so...its not a gusher...just an eggcup full from time to time but today when I checked I noticed it was about half an inch below the minimum level indicator. Its not a continuous leak but that eggcupfull appears as the machine cools after a ryde......do I have a problem...?

Sounds like you're able to see fluid on the floor. Yes? If so......yup, you have a problem. Dealer time, unless it's the reservoir and you're willing to replace it. Tho,,,,,either one(RESERVOIR OR WATER PUMP) should be covered by warranty. If the clock hasn't run out on yours.

boborgera
04-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Check the one worm clamp lower right side on the hose, That has been an on going problem since the inception of the Spyder. Usually a turn or two will tighten it and stop the leak. I would look at that first.

Chupaca
04-09-2013, 07:10 PM
:agree: check all connections and pump area..

Rayelljay
04-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Yesterday eve I checked the coolant level and eyeballed the connection Bob mentioned and found it was not a screw type. By feel I traced the coolant lines and couldn't detect any weeping except for the end of the overflow where there was a little drop. Anyway, I made sure the pressure cap on the reservoir was at the second detent and let it sit overnight. This morning I checked the system and there was no sign of leakage. I wonder if running with the initial level about 1/2" below the minimum level would cause the problem....any opinions...?

Jeriatric
04-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Yesterday eve I checked the coolant level and eyeballed the connection Bob mentioned and found it was not a screw type. By feel I traced the coolant lines and couldn't detect any weeping except for the end of the overflow where there was a little drop. Anyway, I made sure the pressure cap on the reservoir was at the second detent and let it sit overnight. This morning I checked the system and there was no sign of leakage. I wonder if running with the initial level about 1/2" below the minimum level would cause the problem....any opinions...?

It will cause a 'bigger' problem if the leak suddenly places a demand for reservoir held replacement coolant that can't be met because there's not enough in the reservoir. Minimum level means refill.....below minimum level means you're ready to gamble. Are you? If not, you need to locate the cause....jmy2c

boborgera
04-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Look again carefully, There is one screw clamp.:dontknow:

Rayelljay
04-10-2013, 06:39 PM
I am a massive twit.......Tupperware off and look for the screw clamp. I found it adjacent to the water pump and it took half a turn. I made sure that the level in the tank was spot on...maybe half a smidgeon over. I ran my hands over all the coolant lines and felt no sign of wetness and buttoned everything back up and will go for a run tomorrow morning.

SPYD1
04-10-2013, 06:48 PM
If mine is near the top line I will lose coolant through the overflow tube.

Daisyjoe
04-10-2013, 06:55 PM

My 2010 RS SE5 just began to do the same thing. Started with a couple of drops on the garage floor. I was at the dealership yesterday. It sat for about three hours while they added risers and a brake light. It did not leak at all. Rode home and this morning had about 3 drops under the bike. Dealership told me to put a piece of cardboard under the bike so they could see the color of the fluid. The fluid has a light color. (Lighter than oil) Could it be coolant??

boborgera
04-10-2013, 07:10 PM
My 2010 RS SE5 just began to do the same thing. Started with a couple of drops on the garage floor. I was at the dealership yesterday. It sat for about three hours while they added risers and a brake light. It did not leak at all. Rode home and this morning had about 3 drops under the bike. Dealership told me to put a piece of cardboard under the bike so they could see the color of the fluid. The fluid has a light color. (Lighter than oil) Could it be coolant??

The coolant is green, But that said sometimes as it drips down it will mix with road gunk and then its hard to tell color. :dontknow:

Jeriatric
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Put a piece of aluminum foil or wax paper in the cardboard's place. That way it will not be absorbed. If it happens to be the pump seal leaking, it could be a mix of oil and coolant. As always, just a suggestion.

Rayelljay
04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
OK, an update here....I took Boris on a run this weekend and, upon my return, there was still leakage so, today, I took it by my dealer....split header tank (covered by warranty)....they ordered the part and said five or so days for part and 45 min for the install. Question: I'm going to do some work that involves removal of all Tupperware and the center console so could I do the install. If so, can I get rid of those clamps they use and use jubilee or screwed clamps instead...?