PDA

View Full Version : Sena Bluetooth Dongle

Justryde
04-08-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm would like to know if anyone has installed the Sena Bluetooth dongle in a Spyder ST and what is involved to the installation? Also with the dongle installed do you still need the iPod integration cable to connect to the AM/FM Integrated audio system?

spydermyke990
04-08-2013, 05:49 PM
I had my dealer install the dongle on spyder before I picked the bike up. I got a look at the instructions, and it requires removal of the frunk, hooking the cables into the entertainment system, and drilling holes into the rear bulkhead of the frunk to mount the bracket for the dongle, and yes I recommend the iPod integration cable so you can control it from the bars.

Too Many Toys
04-08-2013, 08:23 PM
I just installed the Bluetooth Dongle today on my new ST-L. Installation wasn't that bad. Remove the right side Tupperware, drill three holes in frunk using supplied template, run the cable from audio system to the frunk. I needed to remove the top four bolts from the frunk to make enough room to run the cable.

BUT, after I was done I'm not getting audio. Both the SM10 & my helmet Bluetooth (Nolan B1) show as paired, I can hear some faint white noise, but no audio volume. Its time to take the misses to dinner so I will need to troubleshoot tomorrow.

mjw930
04-09-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm would like to know if anyone has installed the Sena Bluetooth dongle in a Spyder ST and what is involved to the installation? Also with the dongle installed do you still need the iPod integration cable to connect to the AM/FM Integrated audio system?

Obviously you need to have the audio system installed, which is not standard on anything other than the Limited. On the ST you need to run the BT harness back to the radio unit which is installed under the right rear side panel as well as remove the Frunk. It's not difficult, just time consuming, especially around the front as you have to remove the mirrors and a front cover panel that has screws that are not the easiest to get at. From there it's drilling some holes and mounting the unit.

As for needing the iPod cable, yes, you always need that if you want to get the iPod music into the audio system. The BT dongle is an output only device, it simply converts a line level, constant volume source from the audio system into a BT signal for you headset. There is no inbound paring for an audio play device.

I just installed the Bluetooth Dongle today on my new ST-L. Installation wasn't that bad. Remove the right side Tupperware, drill three holes in frunk using supplied template, run the cable from audio system to the frunk. I needed to remove the top four bolts from the frunk to make enough room to run the cable.

BUT, after I was done I'm not getting audio. Both the SM10 & my helmet Bluetooth (Nolan B1) show as paired, I can hear some faint white noise, but no audio volume. Its time to take the misses to dinner so I will need to troubleshoot tomorrow.

I had the same issue. First, confirm the cable is connected correctly by plugging in some earbuds into the cable coming from the audio unit, you should hear music. Then, I needed to completely factory reset the dongle and re-pair the headset. I took it one step further and connected it to my computer and updated the firmware, just to get a clean installation. You should also use the audio boost feature to increase the output volume, it's too low in it's default setting.

bullant12
04-09-2013, 10:27 AM
My dealer installed it on my 2013... I got the dongle to pair with my Sena headset with no problem, I can hear the radio, MP3 (iphone connected in the back with the BRP docking cable) Garmin Zumo GPS with SiriusXM when turned on just fine. However, if I connect the iPhone to the GPS's bluetooth, I can make phonecalls, BUT no sound from the caller and caller cannot hear me. Any ways around this?

mjw930
04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
My dealer installed it on my 2013... I got the dongle to pair with my Sena headset with no problem, I can hear the radio, MP3 (iphone connected in the back with the BRP docking cable) Garmin Zumo GPS with SiriusXM when turned on just fine. However, if I connect the iPhone to the GPS's bluetooth, I can make phonecalls, BUT no sound from the caller and caller cannot hear me. Any ways around this?

To use the GPS with a phone interface you need to do HSF select pairing to the GPS from your headset in addition to pairing the headset to the Spyder's BT. You will then get GPS route information and phone calls through your headset instead of through the Spyder's audio system. You may also lose the Sirius integration with the bike's audio system. It may play through the connection to your headset instead.

Do you have the BRP/Sena Headset? The paring sequence is different for each type of headset. Also, the iPhone will probably have issues if you leave it connected to the audio system AND pair it to the GPS.

bullant12
04-09-2013, 01:08 PM
To use the GPS with a phone interface you need to do HSF select pairing to the GPS from your headset in addition to pairing the headset to the Spyder's BT. You will then get GPS route information and phone calls through your headset instead of through the Spyder's audio system. You may also lose the Sirius integration with the bike's audio system. It may play through the connection to your headset instead.

Do you have the BRP/Sena Headset? The paring sequence is different for each type of headset. Also, the iPhone will probably have issues if you leave it connected to the audio system AND pair it to the GPS.

I have the Sena SMH-10 headsets. I can hear via the headset the :spyder2:'s audio, Garmin Zumo 665 connected with BRP's wiring, the SiriusXM thru the GPS when I turn it on and the MP3 player as well as Pandora thru my iphone when connected. However, I disconnect the iphone from the :spyder2:, hook it via bluetooth to the GPS to make phone calls thru my headset and it goes silent... maybe some white noice but no voice goes thru.

mjw930
04-09-2013, 05:05 PM
I have the Sena SMH-10 headsets. I can hear via the headset the :spyder2:'s audio, Garmin Zumo 665 connected with BRP's wiring, the SiriusXM thru the GPS when I turn it on and the MP3 player as well as Pandora thru my iphone when connected. However, I disconnect the iphone from the :spyder2:, hook it via bluetooth to the GPS to make phone calls thru my headset and it goes silent... maybe some white noice but no voice goes thru.

Ok, understood. To get the phone to work with the Headset vis the GPS you need to pair the headset directly to the GPS. The Spyder audio system has no capability to send your voice to the GPS, it's an output only system.

The easy way to get this to work is, in this order, after you have reset the headset;

Pair to the bike using standard pairing
Enable GPS BT
Pair phone the GPS
Selective pair the GPS to the headset using HSP protocol. What that means is begin the pairing process on the headset then tap the phone button, it sill switch to headset pairing. Now pair it to the GPS.

When this is done you will hear the bikes audio UNLESS there is output from the GPS such as turn directions, Sirius XM or a phone call.

The other option, and what I do on my BMW is leave the GPS BT turned off, pair the headset with the bike then selective pair the phone to the headset. That way I can take a receive calls but all other functions come through the bikes' audio system.

Clear as mud, right :)

kinggeek
04-09-2013, 05:23 PM

iPhone 5? If so make sure the iPhone is running the latest iOS. Mine would work exactly as you described until the latest iPhone update. Also see other posts regarding pairing procedures

spydermyke990
04-10-2013, 05:22 AM
I didn't bother connecting my iPhone.... The last thing I need while on a "1 spyder-tankful getaway" is my boss bugging me and asking me I want to cancel my day off and do a short run because they overbooked freight!:roflblack:

bullant12
04-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Ok, understood. To get the phone to work with the Headset vis the GPS you need to pair the headset directly to the GPS. The Spyder audio system has no capability to send your voice to the GPS, it's an output only system.

The easy way to get this to work is, in this order, after you have reset the headset;

Pair to the bike using standard pairing
Enable GPS BT
Pair phone the GPS
Selective pair the GPS to the headset using HSP protocol. What that means is begin the pairing process on the headset then tap the phone button, it sill switch to headset pairing. Now pair it to the GPS.

When this is done you will hear the bikes audio UNLESS there is output from the GPS such as turn directions, Sirius XM or a phone call.

The other option, and what I do on my BMW is leave the GPS BT turned off, pair the headset with the bike then selective pair the phone to the headset. That way I can take a receive calls but all other functions come through the bikes' audio system.

Clear as mud, right :)

MUD!:sour: I guess I'll play with it some more... I just got a BT adapter to connect into :spyder2: so I can have the iPhone on a RAM mount. Thanks for the tip!!

iPhone 5? If so make sure the iPhone is running the latest iOS. Mine would work exactly as you described until the latest iPhone update. Also see other posts regarding pairing procedures

I update it to the lastest iOS. As a Update and Patch Administrator for my agency, I go nervous if I don't download and test the newest version of a running software ;) nojoke

mjw930
04-10-2013, 11:28 AM
MUD!:sour: I guess I'll play with it some more... I just got a BT adapter to connect into :spyder2: so I can have the iPhone on a RAM mount. Thanks for the tip!!

So you have a BT adapter that connects to the BRP iPod cable or do you have the BRP aux input cable (not available yet)? I hope you didn't buy the BRP/Sena BT Dongle for this, that won't work.

I would use a 30-pin extension cable and a 30-pin to lightning adapter if it was me. A much more stable connection and it should charge the iPhone as well. OR, do like we do and buy a dedicated iPod and leave it in the Frunk. The iPhone sucks as an iPod when using it with adapters.

bullant12
04-10-2013, 12:33 PM
So you have a BT adapter that connects to the BRP iPod cable or do you have the BRP aux input cable (not available yet)? I hope you didn't buy the BRP/Sena BT Dongle for this, that won't work.

I would use a 30-pin extension cable and a 30-pin to lightning adapter if it was me. A much more stable connection and it should charge the iPhone as well. OR, do like we do and buy a dedicated iPod and leave it in the Frunk. The iPhone sucks as an iPod when using it with adapters.

I bought the dongle and it works as a transmitter to the headsets. I tested the iPhone 5 with the lightning/30 pin converter adapter and it worked, changing tracks when in MP3 player mode. It will also transmit the music apps like Pandora but you cannot change that. However, with the BT hooked into the 30 pin cable, it will transmit from the iPhone to the :spyder2: audio via BT, but it won't change the MP3 tracks. I am fine with that... the only issue is making/receiving phone calls... oh well... "Out rYding... I'll call you when I stop!" for now!:coffee: