PDA

View Full Version : Hauling Spyder in Truck Bed

cisaacs
05-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Anyone hauled a spyder in the back of there truck. I am heading to Florida Friday to pick up my Spyder and want to haul it in the bed of my F350. I measured another spyder and the bed and it will fit but just wondering if anyone else has done it.

SPYMAN
05-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Have not had to hual in truck yet but with a little care it sounds good to me!!
:congrats: :bigthumbsup:

SPYMAN

BRPjunkie
05-04-2008, 10:17 PM
What is the actual width of the Spyder at the wheels? Specs say width is 59.3 inches which I assume is overall width at the front fenders. Would like to know if my 5 ft wide, 8 ft long utility trailer will work.

cisaacs
05-04-2008, 10:49 PM
The wheels are slightly wider than the fenders, do not recall exact measurement but it should fit in my F350 with a couple inches on each side to spare.

spyderrider44
05-05-2008, 02:03 AM
:spyder: :welcome: Let us know how it worked out , Good Luck :bigthumbsup:

Lamonster
05-05-2008, 06:58 AM
I know it would be a real tight fit in my Dodge truck and you would have to back it in. I would rent a u-haul trailer before I would try that. ::)

wilmac
05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
As far a hauling the spyder on a utility trailer; I use a 6 ft x 12 ft utility trailer and there is about 2 inches clearance on each side of the front wheels. At the front I have a 4x4 bolted to the bed as a stop for the front wheels remember the front nose extends about 16 inches past the front wheels. Also the width measurement of most utility trailers is the width of the trailer not the bed.

matusky
05-05-2008, 12:08 PM
I know it would be a real tight fit in my Dodge truck and you would have to back it in. I would rent a u-haul trailer before I would try that. ::)

:agree: Also be sure that whatever trailer you DO get has either a full side to side ramp OR you'll need another plank or ramp of some kind as most of those car carriers have only two ramps..... unfortunately for our toys here you'll need 3.... and even more unfortunately....... most ramps are sold in pairs..... so you'll either be one short...... or have a spare :bigthumbsup:

I went through this when picking up mine :dontknow:

trikester
05-05-2008, 12:36 PM
I purchased the largest of the Kendon folding utility trailers. These are usually used to haul various ATV's and bikes. The great thing about the Kendon trailers is that they can be folded and stood up on end at the back of a garage where they only take up a couple of feet.

I called the Kendon factory, in Anaheim CA to find out what they have in their catalog. Of the flat bed (open mesh) trailers they had a five foot wide and a six foot wide version. The six foot wide model is also eight feet long when unfolded. I opted for the six foot one so I could be sure I had enough room for the Spyder. I can also use it to carry my Yamaha TW200 trike conversions (see avatar) along with enough room for a two wheel motorcycle at the same time. I will be doing that this week to take the TWTrike and an antique motorcycle out to Sedona AZ for group rides there.

The factory told me that the dealer where I was about to pick up my Spyder had a six foot wide Kendon in stock so I bought it, along with the Spyder, and trailered the Spyder home. That way I didn't have to ask someone to drop me off at the dealer, to get the Spyder, and ride home.

Before picking up the Spyder and the trailer I ordered a third loading ramp from the factory and took that with me to the dealer. The ramps are special designs unique to this trailer but the good news is they will sell you one (two come with the trailer) and it was not very expensive. I also bought two motorcycle wheel chocks that I can bolt to the mesh to carry regular motorcycles.

Frank

cisaacs
05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I know I should haul it home in a trailer but I am going to Lauderdale to pick up a boat for Wayne Huzenga and was trying to pick up the spyder at the same time to eliminate an extra trip. With desiel over 4 bucks a gallon It cost a fortune to drive the trip and thought this way I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Dyno824
05-06-2008, 06:12 PM
If you got wheel wells coming into your bed you will be awlful tight going straight in and a handful of scratchum up possibles.Try going in backwards with some help.I have Full size dodge and it wouldnt go, had to do trailer thing.Good Luck Dennis #824

cisaacs
05-06-2008, 06:17 PM
After measuring inside I will have a couple inches of room on each side. I plan on backing it in and have already bouht several pillows to pack between wheels and bed of truck. I would rather fly down and ride back or trailer it but time is a big issue as well as fuel cost. I was hoping someone would say they had hauled there's in a truck.

barb36jack31
05-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Be super careful to keep a sharp watch on the nose piece. The ground clearance is awfully low and you could easily scrape a lot of plastic. Good luck!

Jack H.

spyderrider44
05-09-2008, 02:08 AM
:spyder: :spyder: did that :spyder: fit in the back of the truck ? Just wondering and hope it worked out for you :a18:

Lamonster
05-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Please take pictures because this topic is asked a lot. :doorag: :spyder:

cisaacs
05-11-2008, 08:39 AM
If fits, #3830 is in the back of my F350 Longbed with a couple inches of room to spare. We backed the truck up to a small bank and used a wide ramp anit rolled right in. I can not raise the tailgate but it does fit. I will try to take a picture and post it when I get home. The questions have already started, I can't stop and get fuel in the truck without answering 50 questions. It is still kind cool now but sure will be old quick.

one2doo
05-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Get home so we can ride :bigthumbsup: :congrats:

Lamonster
05-11-2008, 05:55 PM
If fits, #3830 is in the back of my F350 Longbed with a couple inches of room to spare. We backed the truck up to a small bank and used a wide ramp anit rolled right in. I can not raise the tailgate but it does fit. I will try to take a picture and post it when I get home. The questions have already started, I can't stop and get fuel in the truck without answering 50 questions. It is still kind cool now but sure will be old quick.
:bigthumbsup: :congrats:

spyderrider44
05-11-2008, 06:25 PM
:congrats: glad to hear it worked out :spyder: :bigthumbsup: