PDA

View Full Version : BRP 12V Power Outlet Installation on 2013 ST-S

Howard1941
04-07-2013, 10:48 AM
I just finished installing the 12V Power Outlet. It took two and a half hours. Only BRP could make a simple outlet installation this difficult. You need to remove four body panels and all of the bolts that secure the front cargo compartment to the frame. Then you pull the entire cargo compartment away from the bike so that you can reach in behind it to connect the wiring harness to the outlet. After only a few minor cuts on my hand and a couple of new bruises the job is finally done!!!!!! Fortunately after putting everything back together, everything seems to still be working OK.

If you are purchasing any options for the dealer to install, I would definitely let them do this installation at the same time.

RIde safe & often!

spydermyke990
05-26-2013, 08:51 PM
its definitely a pain. I removed the our panels, the mirrors, the upper panels and the black piece under the headlights, and there's quite a few pieces to remove to pull the mirrors off.

Ron Parks
06-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I recently bought a GPS and want a 12V outlet for it. $150 for the dealer to install it seems like a lot, but now it is looking like a reasonable deal. Next time it is in for service, I think I will do that. Of course it would also be useful to recharge my cell phone, too.

SPYD3R
06-30-2013, 06:39 PM
I just finished installing the 12V Power Outlet. It took two and a half hours. Only BRP could make a simple outlet installation this difficult. You need to remove four body panels and all of the bolts that secure the front cargo compartment to the frame. Then you pull the entire cargo compartment away from the bike so that you can reach in behind it to connect the wiring harness to the outlet. After only a few minor cuts on my hand and a couple of new bruises the job is finally done!!!!!! Fortunately after putting everything back together, everything seems to still be working OK.

If you are purchasing any options for the dealer to install, I would definitely let them do this installation at the same time.

RIde safe & often!

PIX MAN, PIX.....
provide us with pictures...
i've done a dozen on RS's, and MAX time is 20 minutes....
70909 70912

justanoldguy
07-06-2013, 10:46 AM

RIde safe & often!

I needed 12 Volt outlets on the upper panels of my Spyder STS for GPS and Video Camera, and for my heated clothing. See the following link for details on the location and installation of these four 12 volt outlets. Note that the GPS and Camera are mounted on the handlebars using the Ram-Mount brand hardware.

http://justanoldguy.wordpress.com/2013/05/05/can-am-spyder-12-volt-outlets/

They all work great, using coiled wire 12-Volt adapter to mini-USB connectors to the GPS and Camera to keep the wire out of the way.

Hope this helps,

justanoldguy

lookerjdc
07-06-2013, 06:25 PM
I needed 12 Volt outlets on the upper panels of my Spyder STS for GPS and Video Camera, and for my heated clothing. See the following link for details on the location and installation of these four 12 volt outlets. Note that the GPS and Camera are mounted on the handlebars using the Ram-Mount brand hardware.

http://justanoldguy.wordpress.com/2013/05/05/can-am-spyder-12-volt-outlets/

They all work great, using coiled wire 12-Volt adapter to mini-USB connectors to the GPS and Camera to keep the wire out of the way.

Hope this helps,

justanoldguy

great page/instructions - thanks for tthat and gratz!!

@SPYD3R - please share the secret to 20 min installs for 12V outlets on an RT