PDA

View Full Version : Problem with RT622

TexasSpyder
04-05-2013, 03:54 PM
I was on my grocery run today pulling the 622. A fellow passing me was pointing for me to pull over, so I did, only to find the left tire flat. Upon looking closer I found the wheel won't turn or is very hard to turn like it might have a bad bearing. The tire and wheel are damaged (ruined). I have less than 200 miles on the trailer. Hope this would fall under the 2 year warrenty. I guess there will be no pulling it to Spyderfest.

Marker
04-05-2013, 04:07 PM
That sounds to me like a bad bearing . I would check your dealer to see if this would be covered under warranty. I have pulled new trailers before a lot farther without repacking the bearings than you have pulled your trailer with no problems.

I do not want to hijack this thread but can any one tell me if the trailer bearings on the RT622 can be taken out and repacked or is the hub a sealed unit. I have a new RT622 trailer and want to take the bearings out to repack them. I bought a2010 RT622 trailer near the end of 2012 and it is still in storage.

Thanks

mark

spyryder
04-05-2013, 04:11 PM
This has happened before:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?33533-Got-a-flat-on-the-trailer-because-of-a-bad-bearing&highlight=flat+trailer+bearing

NorthStar
04-05-2013, 04:36 PM
I was on my grocery run today pulling the 622. A fellow passing me was pointing for me to pull over, so I did, only to find the left tire flat. Upon looking closer I found the wheel won't turn or is very hard to turn like it might have a bad bearing. The tire and wheel are damaged (ruined). I have less than 200 miles on the trailer. Hope this would fall under the 2 year warrenty. I guess there will be no pulling it to Spyderfest.

Same thing happened to me at 60 miles per hour on a busy freeway. The bearing seized and the noise of the tire exploding immediately alerted me to the problem. Out in the middle of nowhere at the time and 50 kms from my dealers shop. :banghead: Ironically, the owner of the dealership just happened to drive by and saw my predicament. Dealer replaced bearing and gave me a new wheel assembly even though my trailer was over two years old. and 10,000 kms on the wheels.

When we removed the damaged wheel it was fairly obvious that there was insufficient grease in the bearing to begin with. I removed the "good wheel" and we added more grease to be safe. We were back on the road withing 2 hours and very thankful for our good fortune.

I now recommend that anyone owning a trailer take a few minutes to check their trailer bearings for adequate lubrication on a yearly basis. Never felt the need to do this in the past, but this "incident" taught me a much needed lesson.

P.S. Once your wheel is replaced you should feel plenty confident to pull your trailer to Spyderfest.

revjvegas
04-05-2013, 04:58 PM
I now recommend that anyone owning a trailer take a few minutes to check their trailer bearings for adequate lubrication on a yearly basis.
:agree:
That is part of the regular recommend maintenance on the 622. When I got mine, I pulled the tires and checked the lube just to make sure prior to my first trip.

Crazy that'd you'd have failure after just 200 miles; I hope you get it covered under warranty. Good luck .... keep us posted.

TexasSpyder
04-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Looking at the parts fisch at SHS Powersports it shows the hub with bearings but not the bearings themself?

Pennyrick
04-05-2013, 06:47 PM
That sounds to me like a bad bearing . I would check your dealer to see if this would be covered under warranty. I have pulled new trailers before a lot farther without repacking the bearings than you have pulled your trailer with no problems.

I do not want to hijack this thread but can any one tell me if the trailer bearings on the RT622 can be taken out and repacked or is the hub a sealed unit. I have a new RT622 trailer and want to take the bearings out to repack them. I bought a2010 RT622 trailer near the end of 2012 and it is still in storage.

Thanks

mark

Mark:

We're getting ready to pull out Sunday morning to begin our first trip of the season so I took both trailers into the local trailer shop to have the bearings repacked. I had checked my dealer and found they wanted 1.5 hours labor for each trailer that I thought was excessive. Since the local trailer place is close to my home and they have serviced both my horse trailer and boat trailer I trusted them with the work.

I gave the tech the RT622 manual that says "bearings are not available in spare parts.... when bearings need replacement, replace wheel hub". He cleaned and repacked and also replaced the seals that he told me are identical to the seals used on many of his other trailers. He also told me the note about replacing the wheel hub appeared to be incorrect as the bearings appear to him to be exactly the same as what he retains in stock for other trailers.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread any further but I thought this may be information the OP may need to now.

JJRider
04-05-2013, 06:54 PM
I had heard (may not be accurate) that TREKK makes the Spyder RT-622 trailers? Has anyone else heard that? I also happened to see a picture of a used TREKK trailer for sale and it looks just like a RT-622. I ended up getting a Bushtec since no dealers in Calif. had a RT-622 except one trailer that was at full MSRP. When I called BRP and tried to order one from their "store" which listed them for sale, they said I had to talk to my dealer.

Lamonster
04-05-2013, 07:01 PM
I had heard (may not be accurate) that TREKK makes the Spyder RT-622 trailers? Has anyone else heard that? I also happened to see a picture of a used TREKK trailer for sale and it looks just like a RT-622. I ended up getting a Bushtec since no dealers in Calif. had a RT-622 except one trailer that was at full MSRP. When I called BRP and tried to order one from their "store" which listed them for sale, they said I had to talk to my dealer.

The only thing the same about them is they both have two lids that open. They are not the same quality of product from the guys I know that have seen both.

Lamonster
04-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Looking at the parts fisch at SHS Powersports it shows the hub with bearings but not the bearings themself?

Crazy right? I would take your good bearings down to your local trailer supply and match them up.

TexasSpyder
04-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Crazy right? I would take your good bearings down to your local trailer supply and match them up.

I am going to check tomorrow to see if it can be a warrenty covered expense since low miles and recent purchase?

J. D.

NancysToy
04-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Trailer bearings should be repacked once or twice a year. Don't overpack them, the grease needs room to expand. Only slow speed boat trailer bearings should be have the hubs completely packed...to keep out water. If you have never checked your trailer bearings, I'd suggest you do so ASAP, even with a new trailer. One of mine had a damaged seal from the factory, and the grease had water contamination as a result. When towing a trailer you should check for overheating bearings periodically, by checking if a wheel/tire is hot. I do this a couple of time a trip at gas or rest stops. Although BRP does not off the parts separately, the bearings and seals are available at a bearing supply store. I suspect a good trailer shop would have them, too.

TexasSpyder
04-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Took it in this morning the service manager said that there has been rumers and rumblings of a recall on the trailers and should hear something from BRP early next week. Either way it should be covered fully under warranty. He is not sure if it will be ready by SF but he said he would do his best.

J. D.

SpyderFun
04-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Sounds like it may be safer to leave ones 622 trailer parked until this bearing issue gets resolved. Nothing worse than breaking down on the road and waiting for a tow while at the same time missing the event!

-Mike
<Sent using Tapatalk>

TexasSpyder
04-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Lucky it was only 20 miles from home. I will post when the service manager calls me. As of right now he said it was a "rumer and rumblings" nothing in stone. There are a lot of Spyder Lovers with a lot of miles on their trailers and wouldn"t panic.

J. D.

Spyderal11
04-07-2013, 08:31 AM
How many miles should you be able to go before checking wheel bearings on the average understanding there are exceptions to everything?

TexasSpyder
04-07-2013, 08:39 AM
In the book that came with the trailer it said to verify and grease the hub bearings every 7500 miles.

J. D.

NancysToy
04-07-2013, 09:17 AM
How many miles should you be able to go before checking wheel bearings on the average understanding there are exceptions to everything?

In the book that came with the trailer it said to verify and grease the hub bearings every 7500 miles.

J. D.
I do it annually, no matter what the mileage...and twice annually if I exceed 5,000-7,500 miles.

TexasSpyder
04-07-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm sure after my expierence that it will be more frequently than 7500 for me, I just didn't expect it to go bad in the first 200 miles. The dealer is being very good about getting me fixed up.

J. D.

scooterexpress
04-07-2013, 09:44 AM
we had a rider that the samething happened to it took brp and the dealer 9months to fix and repair trailer and cost over 4k but was all on brp's dime but you would of thought it would of been easier for brp to just give a new trailer instaed of wasting all that time and money.this happened on the way to the owners event last year unfornutely they missed out due to the bearings.good luck with your situation i also think he said something about a recall on those bearings not sure if i heard right? check it out though never hurts to look into.

Marker
04-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Mark:

We're getting ready to pull out Sunday morning to begin our first trip of the season so I took both trailers into the local trailer shop to have the bearings repacked. I had checked my dealer and found they wanted 1.5 hours labor for each trailer that I thought was excessive. Since the local trailer place is close to my home and they have serviced both my horse trailer and boat trailer I trusted them with the work.

I gave the tech the RT622 manual that says "bearings are not available in spare parts.... when bearings need replacement, replace wheel hub". He cleaned and repacked and also replaced the seals that he told me are identical to the seals used on many of his other trailers. He also told me the note about replacing the wheel hub appeared to be incorrect as the bearings appear to him to be exactly the same as what he retains in stock for other trailers.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread any further but I thought this may be information the OP may need to now.

Thanks Double Trouble for your information
When my trailer comes out of storage I am going to repack the bearings . On all the trailers that I have owned I have always repacked the wheel bearings myself, but BRP always like to through a curve ball with all things normal( ie Rt622 wiring and plugs) and I did not know what to expect especially when they say to replace the hub.

Thanks again

Mark

TexasSpyder
04-09-2013, 04:25 PM
oops.

Desert Spyder
04-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Well the dealership called and said there is a recall for the trailers now. He also said he had to do all 13 of their in stock (unsold) trailers before he could even start mine. I guess they are getting even with me for not buying from them? He said it would be at least 3 months so I needed to come get it out of their way.

J. D.

There's a recall on the trailer bearings? Which year(s)?

TexasSpyder
04-09-2013, 04:42 PM
They didn't give any details treated me like a stepchild, so I left. There is someplace to lookup recalls I think but I don't know where. Someone will let us know. Mine is a 2012 bought last Sept? Took it to Louis Power Sports on way to SF pick it up on way home.

J. D.