PDA

View Full Version : Frunk Seal Repair

Cavman
04-05-2013, 02:29 PM
It seems that my seal to the frunk on my RT has been coming apart. So I took a trip to my local dive shop to pick up a can of neoprene cement. About $10.
Following the directions, I applied two coats of cement to both halves of the rubber parts. Upon somewhat drying, I put the two halves together. Worked great and less expensive that a new seal.

MidLifeCrisis
04-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Or, you could have picked up a whole new one from SpyderPops and got a far better seal than factory. I did what you did as a temporary fix, but it came apart pretty easily.

missouriboy
04-06-2013, 04:51 AM
OK, how about the velcro on the shelf in the trunk of an RT?

Mine has torn away from the body, because the adhesive is less strong than the grip of the velcro itself! When I lower the shelf, it pulls both halves of the velcro down with the shelf. I wonder if the warranty would cover a fix for this?

I'm going to visit the dealer today anyhow; if I think of it, I'll ask and report back here. I'm going because my glovebox latch has failed completely and I want them to fix it. I've had the RT for only 2 months.

SPYD1
04-06-2013, 06:13 AM
Or, you could have picked up a whole new one from SpyderPops and got a far better seal than factory. I did what you did as a temporary fix, but it came apart pretty easily.

I agree.

Ga Blue Knight
04-06-2013, 02:33 PM
OK, how about the velcro on the shelf in the trunk of an RT?

Mine has torn away from the body, because the adhesive is less strong than the grip of the velcro itself! When I lower the shelf, it pulls both halves of the velcro down with the shelf. I wonder if the warranty would cover a fix for this?

I'm going to visit the dealer today anyhow; if I think of it, I'll ask and report back here. I'm going because my glovebox latch has failed completely and I want them to fix it. I've had the RT for only 2 months.

If you go to the Lowes or Home Depot they have Industrial Strength Velcro which has a much stronger glue and Velcro attachment. I use it for lots of stuff on the dash and it holds great in the heat down south to include the above mentioned shelf on the RT.

missouriboy
04-07-2013, 08:46 AM
If you go to the Lowes or Home Depot they have Industrial Strength Velcro which has a much stronger glue and Velcro attachment. I use it for lots of stuff on the dash and it holds great in the heat down south to include the above mentioned shelf on the RT.Thanks for that! I never knew about Industrial Strength Velcro, I'll keep that in mind. (I wonder if BRP knows about it? :banghead: )

The Spyder tech was off duty but they said bring it back Monday to get the glovebox latch fixed under warranty. They said they fix the velcro problem with superglue, but it's not a warranty fix. So, at $80/hr labor rate, I think I can handle that one! :thumbup:

Luckily, I live only 16 miles away, so I'm going back tomorrow. Missourigirl went with me Saturday, we enjoyed their Saturday Barbecue Lunch, and made a 56 mile ryde out of it. :yes: