PDA

View Full Version : hand brake saved me today

Lamonster
05-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I took another run into town and I passed a Bank sign and notice it was 84 degrees on the Bank so I looked down to see what mine said and it was 83 degrees. :bigthumbsup: As I looked up the trafic had stopped and I had to make a panic stop before hitting the back of a minivan. :yikes: :redfaced: My first reaction was the same as it would be on a motorcycle, I grabbed the front brake and then slammed on the rear. I can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure I would have plowed in the back of the van if I didn't have that hand brake. ::) Old habits are hard to break.

hevnbound
05-02-2008, 02:38 PM
I took another run into town and I passed a Bank sign and notice it was 84 degrees on the Bank so I looked down to see what mine said and it was 83 degrees. :bigthumbsup: As I looked up the trafic had stopped and I had to make a panic stop before hitting the back of a minivan. :yikes: :redfaced: My first reaction was the same as it would be on a motorcycle, I grabbed the front brake and then slammed on the rear. I can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure I would have plowed in the back of the van if I didn't have that hand brake. ::) Old habits are hard to break.

I wish you could find someone in our area to install the front brake or, offer a kit and I could find someone over my way to install it - - - I would swing for it! I'm either going to have to get a front brake or quit pushing it as hard as I do in the corners. I've come close to being in real trouble on hard right handers when I needed to brake and couldn't get my foot on the brake because of my crouch and lean!!! Just like you, on the occassional times I've had to go for a quick stop, I automatically reached for the hand brake!!

smokster
05-02-2008, 03:08 PM

Glad it ended well

pphantom538
05-02-2008, 03:16 PM
You make a great point. Leaning into turns on the spyder would reduce your ability to get on the break quickly since you first have to shift your weight and possible body posture. I agree, a hand break option has to be provided.

LaughingHeart
05-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Lamonster -
Glad you had a success story! Would probly be a good idea to have one on ours as well.

Again - glad for your save!!

Winnie and Jim
Minneapolis

Spyderman10
05-02-2008, 05:15 PM
glad ur good bro.. be safe. :bigthumbsup:

Magic Man
05-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Can't tell you how many times my front brake has saved me from getting in trouble too. Good job not getting hurt out there. :bigthumbsup:

spyderrider44
05-03-2008, 02:54 AM
:spyder: :congrats: on your quick thinking and having the hand brake. :bigthumbsup: Real glad you are alright, like you i am used to having a hand brake which i always go for first i really don't like not having one , but i am not that good at fabricating things. Again :congrats:and glad you are OK :bigthumbsup: