PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Vegas to SD ride

MMMII
04-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Last Thursday, I took the ST-S 326 miles from Vegas to San Diego. Two days later (on Saturday) I did the return trip. Thought I would throw out a few observations:

- I'm 6'1" and the stock windshield in the up most position isn't tall enough to cut the noise down at highway speeds. The extra "slightly larger" windshield might do the trick. Maybe a different helmet would help but I noticed that ducking my head down a little I could hear my Sena much better. I appear to be about 2" too tall.

-People in Porches' are fun to follow as they like to go fast... Is it just me or are speed limit signs on the freeways in SoCal just a suggestion? I was going 10 over and getting passed left and right. Not sure why I never noticed in a cage (probably because you are so much more exposed on 2/3 wheels).

- Seat was comfortable on the ride up but on the way back, not so much. Not sure if walking all day Friday with the kids at Legoland contributed to my soreness but I was not comfortable. I found myself doing a lot of shifting. After a few days to reflect, I'm sure that the walking had more to do with it than anything else.

-Hot foot... Don't have anything to compare too but I didn't get uncomfortable due to heat coming from the machine. I did find that opening my knees a bit did let some cool air flow a bit more.

- Thank <insert deity here> for the floorboards. I found that placing the balls of my feet on the drivers boards and the heels of my feet on the passenger board gave my legs just enough of a different position when needed.

- I can't tell you how many times I've made this very drive in a cage. Having to stop for gas multiple times and doing the requisite stretch and hydration takes the momentum out of the travel. I did get chatted up at each stop which added to the stop time. I think my rule of thumb will be to add an hour for similar rides in a cage.

-My wife went up early with the kids so she took my luggage with her. In the frunk I had a riding vest (when wearing my riding jacket), sweatshirt, hat, couple of Poweraides and few other items of no consequence. One must re-learn how to pack (even with bags I'm sure) to travel distance on these things.

Would I do it again? Absolutely I'm 2,400 or so miles in since I took delivery and I find myself ryding at every opportunity.

Makes me have more appreciation for those of you ryding 1k+ miles to Spyderfest.

I think my next trip will be Vegas to Phoenix.

-Cheers

Chupaca
04-05-2013, 08:59 PM
We are in San Diego and that would be a great trip in reverse. Thanks for the informative trip info..!! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
04-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Glad to hear you had a good trip. What kind of helmet do you have? A full face or modular really cuts the noise down a ton. For me riding with the windshield all the way down is the way I like it. I find that if I raise the windshield I get too much back pressure.

flamingobabe
04-06-2013, 09:09 AM
you may be 2" too tall....with the shield all the way up...I can't see over it...I must be 2" not tall enough...I also use the passenger boards and floorboards at same time....love my ST

daveinva
04-06-2013, 10:45 AM
- Seat was comfortable on the ride up but on the way back, not so much. Not sure if walking all day Friday with the kids at Legoland contributed to my soreness but I was not comfortable. I found myself doing a lot of shifting. After a few days to reflect, I'm sure that the walking had more to do with it than anything else.

Easy enough fix: invest in a cushion for long-distance riding. I swap out between a Beadrider and an Airhawk depending on how my mood fits me that day (also have enjoyed a sheepskin before, too).

MMMII
04-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Glad to hear you had a good trip. What kind of helmet do you have? A full face or modular really cuts the noise down a ton. For me riding with the windshield all the way down is the way I like it. I find that if I raise the windshield I get too much back pressure.

I rock a HJC IS-16 which is a full face lid. I'm thinking about dropping the money on a Shoei GT Air. The Shoei is also full faced but supposed to be much quieter than the HJC.

If anyone here has one, I would love to hear your feedback.

- MMMII

spyder-dude
04-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Congrats on your ride! I just got my STS this week and also got the ultra touring windshield. I am 6'4" and even that shield that is 5" taller isn't the best for wind. I think the big issue is that it isn't wide enough even though it is like 4" wider than the stock. I also noticed that it doesn't like to stay in the top position and goes down by itself.

Yesterdays ride it was 70+ degrees so I decided to ride with the shield all the way day and was great until later in the day it got very windy and I moved it all the way up.

I think the ultra touring windshield would work good for your height but I think when it rains it isn't going to work well.

I wear a 3/4 helmet with just a pull down visor but when it rains or is windy I will put my full face shield on.

JKMSPYDER
04-08-2013, 08:20 PM
I have a Shoei Neotec helmet. Very nice, but I have nothing to compare it to regarding wind noise. I do wear ear plugs when I ride.