PDA

View Full Version : Can Am Spider

dtkennney
04-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi, I am new to this site. I am thinking about getting a spider RT in a few months. I currently ride a Honda DN-01. I have read about the high cost of maintenance and the number of recall issues. I love the look of the bike, but I am used to Honda's being completely bullet proof. Just a concern and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Bob Denman
04-04-2013, 11:53 AM
:welcome: Welcome to our little corner of the Universe! :2thumbs: Spyders for sure; ain't cheap! But it's the fun that you get out of them that matters! :thumbup:

donec
04-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Keep in mind that when you read about problems you are at a forum people come to for answers and that people that everything is working fine for don't offten say so. This make things look a little lopsided as far as problems go.

When you read about the trips and the miles put on spyders you will see for the most part they are quite bullet proof. With that said anything can break.

Proper maintenance and following the Do's & Do Not's for New Spyder Owners in the following link will help keep your spyder healthy and you happy.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

Mexican
04-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Don't worry about the reliability of it, search the thread "how many trouble free miles", you will find out that there are a lot more good spyders than bad ones, if is man made it can break no matter who builds it, i have 27.5k miles with $250.00 worth of repairs, even honda has problems every now and then, ask me how i know;)
Darn it i was trying to upload a pic of my DN01 but i can't for some reason!
My dn01 had a driveshaft problem from day one, it took 3 dealerships and 6 months to figure it out and repair it!
Like i said you will be happy with the spyder:)

Bob Ledford
04-04-2013, 12:49 PM
If projected maintence costs are stopping you I would say stay with Honda or do some of it yourself. The one biggest hassle with Can-Am is that almost everything is hidden beneath body panels that have to be removed to do almost everything but checking tire pressure.

I did not recognize what a DN - 01 was so I had to look it up and see it has a lot of plastic body panels too. What do you pay now for a complete oil and filter change? Then ask your Can-Am dealer what it would cost you?

Can-Am accessories are expensive but the is mainly attributable to the newness of Spyders to the market place. As more and more Can-Ams are sold you will see prices falling. Honda on the other hand has a superb marketing plan and network.

When I was riding my last GW 1988 1500 I was replacing tires and brake pads front and rear every 30 k miles at a cost of almost $350.00 a set. My 2011 RTL at 4k miles still have the rubber mold rubber titles still showing and the brake pads don't show any wear at all yet.

The Rotax engine seems to be as bullet proof as a Honda. But you will find you have to wind it tighter then your Honda. Your Honda will probably render better fuel economy due to the weight difference. Your tire replacements on the Honda to be more frequent due to two wheel braking vs the Cam-Am's three wheel ABS system braking. You will not have to worry about falling over damages, disappearing kickstand damages in hot weather, you won't have to worry about people running over you because your visibility profiling is bigger too! Your chances of falling down in a sandy corner are nil with the Spyder vs the Dn-01. Which is a big plus up..

Overall I say your going to have to do a lot of researching to come up with the answers you are looking for. Check your insurance agent costs too.

i could keep coming up things but your a smart rider so you get the picture. I like my Can-Am but I have a physical disability that the Spyder allows me to continue to ride at 72 years of age allowing me to add to my 60+ years of riding.

PrairieSpyder
04-04-2013, 12:59 PM
:welcome:

ARtraveler
04-04-2013, 01:41 PM
:welcome: to the site. As the other posters have said--there are reasons both to own or not to own a :ani29:.

The part about issues being talked about is right on. More people discuss problems than they do the good parts about the product. The recommendation to read the thread about happy owners and lots of miles is a good one.

The DN-01 is a neat bike, and I looked them over when they first came out--so you are used to riding "exotic" stuff.

Test riding will give you the vibes as to whether or not the :spyder2: is for you.

bmwlarry
04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Get you questions answers and meet other Oregon riders.

the event info:

Pro Caliber Longview has invited the Columbia River Chapter to their Open House and 2013 Kickoff on Saturday, April 6th, from 11:00AM until 3:00PM. We will be attending their Open House instead of our normal monthly breakfast gathering on that Saturday. I Hope everyone will attend!
http://goo.gl/maps/u0TJ3

Larry Kniess - Trustee of Columbia River Chapter.

SpyderLady
04-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Welcome, you might want to note we all spell "Spyder" a little different...!,!

spyderpoop
04-04-2013, 03:08 PM
well I had a Goldwing for a long Long time and ZERO NOT ONE Problem with it and I would go Back to a Goldwing in a Second because of the reliability BUT when you get Older and Ride two up with the wife all the time you need a three wheeler However the ride and comfort is equally fun but the Quality Build of the Spyder is very much less of QUALITY to the Honda a drastic drop off but still fun to ride BUT EXTREMLY EXSPENSIVE BRP really takes advantage of you after the sale and as you have read shows a real lack of service to the Owners of Spyders after the sale but I do love to ride my spyder and I just try to forget who made it as their only interested in making the DOLLARS and not a priority on Service but BUY one you,ll love it with a open Mind and not to compare it to Honda you,ll learn to enjoy it

jerpinoy
04-04-2013, 03:46 PM
:welcome:This is the place to learn about everything about:spyder2:. I'm sure you'll make the right decision:yes: Good luck and God Bless us all.

Chupaca
04-04-2013, 04:28 PM
first of all :welcome:as to reliability you will find some threads for the pro side "Off the wall" is one and the one above as well. As stated not many post no problems. Now if you see how many jokes, videos, polls, etc those are the ones with no problems and nothing to do here...:roflblack::roflblack:

bluestratos
04-04-2013, 06:07 PM
I do all my own maintenance and the parts do not add to much, learn to do you own oil change and that accounts for most of the maintenance the bike needs.
Now, from my experience my RT has been anything but reliable, I bought it new in late June of 2011 and have been in the shop a dozen times, 4 times of which I had to tow it in at my expense and time. It is nice that most do not have problems but if you do it is hell as dealers are few and far between. I still love my RT, when it runs (it is in the shop again this past week for more throttle body related problems).

dtkennney
04-05-2013, 08:52 AM
If projected maintence costs are stopping you I would say stay with Honda or do some of it yourself. The one biggest hassle with Can-Am is that almost everything is hidden beneath body panels that have to be removed to do almost everything but checking tire pressure.

I did not recognize what a DN - 01 was so I had to look it up and see it has a lot of plastic body panels too. What do you pay now for a complete oil and filter change? Then ask your Can-Am dealer what it would cost you?

Can-Am accessories are expensive but the is mainly attributable to the newness of Spyders to the market place. As more and more Can-Ams are sold you will see prices falling. Honda on the other hand has a superb marketing plan and network.

When I was riding my last GW 1988 1500 I was replacing tires and brake pads front and rear every 30 k miles at a cost of almost $350.00 a set. My 2011 RTL at 4k miles still have the rubber mold rubber titles still showing and the brake pads don't show any wear at all yet.

The Rotax engine seems to be as bullet proof as a Honda. But you will find you have to wind it tighter then your Honda. Your Honda will probably render better fuel economy due to the weight difference. Your tire replacements on the Honda to be more frequent due to two wheel braking vs the Cam-Am's three wheel ABS system braking. You will not have to worry about falling over damages, disappearing kickstand damages in hot weather, you won't have to worry about people running over you because your visibility profiling is bigger too! Your chances of falling down in a sandy corner are nil with the Spyder vs the Dn-01. Which is a big plus up..

Overall I say your going to have to do a lot of researching to come up with the answers you are looking for. Check your insurance agent costs too.

i could keep coming up things but your a smart rider so you get the picture. I like my Can-Am but I have a physical disability that the Spyder allows me to continue to ride at 72 years of age allowing me to add to my 60+ years of riding.

Thanks for your thoughtfully reply. I turn 69 in May and will save my pennies for a few more months before I purchase. But like you if it keeps me riding well into my seventies it will be a no brainer. I sat on an RS the other day and loved it. Waiting a fe w more months might be the Hardest part of my decision process.

MRH
04-05-2013, 09:21 AM
I love my Spyder, and I'd purchase it again tomorrow, but maintenance is a definite cost.

Along with my Spyder, I'd invest in a warranty (I ended up with a third party warranty, and I'm sure if that has been to my advantage or disadvantage) and the 100 mile AAA towing service for motorcycles. You'll need a flatbed, and they are expensive to pay for if you do break down.

ABQAndy
04-05-2013, 09:40 AM
I bought my 2012 :spyder2: RT Limited in August 2012 and so far have 5,400 mostly trouble free miles. I have a small issue with front end wobble between 40 mph and 43 mph that is probably due to tire balance or wear, haven't figured it out. I plan on doing most of my own maintenance, mainly oil changes. I love my :spyder2: and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Can't go anywhere without turning heads and when I stop somewhere more times than not someone comes up and asks questions and give me a :2thumbs:.