PDA

View Full Version : No reverse?

viperryder
04-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Went to start my RT SE5 today for the first time this season. Let it warm up and just drove it around the drive way and no reverse. Have called my dealer, but no response as yet. You guys are faster. Thanks:gaah::gaah:

CyncySpyder
04-04-2013, 11:09 AM
1st, check your fuses and the oil level. If I recall correctly, others have reported similar about the reverse. One was a blown fuse & I'm thinking if thats the cause, some of your rear lights would be out as well (if I'm rememberring correctly) as the reverse actuator and a couple of other things are on the same fuse. Sorry, I'm at work right now & don't have my repair manual handy to double check or confirm. Another issue could be (if you have an SE5) low oil level. Tho to properly check the oil level, you need the machine to be up to operating temperature, like after ryding and putting the machine through its paces with all the gears. Checking it someone cold or just sitting and running, it will warm up a bit, but still not be at OPERATING temperature, so it will generally show low on the dipstick. Sorry I can't offer better advise, but check your Owners Manual, and it will list which fuse to check & it also has the proper conditions for checking the oil.

Could be something totally different than the above, but these are the 1st 2 things that come to mind that I would check. Good luck, & I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable folks will soon come along with more suggestions for you as well. Let us know :thumbup:

NancysToy
04-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Check fuse F7. If it is blown, you probably have a trailer hitch and the trailer module is blown. In that case it may hold until you hook up the trailer, or it may blow again immediately. Disconnecting the trailer harness or replacing the module would be the cure.

MarkLawson
04-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Check fuse F7. If it is blown, you probably have a trailer hitch and the trailer module is blown. In that case it may hold until you hook up the trailer, or it may blow again immediately. Disconnecting the trailer harness or replacing the module would be the cure.

What Scotty said. This exact scenerio happen to mine. Lost the reverse and the trailer running lights while on a trip. The trailer brake lights still worked. Don't recall if the trailer turn signals did or not. Also, another related problem was with my BRP CB radio. When the trailer was attached, the radio would transmit a ton of static along with my voice when pressing the PTT button. This also had to do with a grounding issue with the trailer module (RT trailer wiring harness that runs from under the saddle connector to the bottom side of the left saddlebag where the trailer's big round 9-pin plug attaches.)