PDA

View Full Version : I am curious about excessive brake dust

cpdblegl
04-03-2013, 10:41 PM
:f_spider: Was out taking a stroll on my new '13 RT Ltd today. And after putting it back in the garage, I was wiping down the trike, with a nice clean mirco cloth. I finished by hitting the new fifteen's (chrome rims). WOW, the towel turned black with brake dust. Now, since this is my first Spyder, I was hoping that some of you had experience with the amount of brake dust that shows up on the rims. Just seemed a bit excessive. Hoping that it's just a result of a new machine with NEW brakes. :pray:

BajaRon
04-04-2013, 12:16 AM
:f_spider: Was out taking a stroll on my new '13 RT Ltd today. And after putting it back in the garage, I was wiping down the trike, with a nice clean mirco cloth. I finished by hitting the new fifteen's (chrome rims). WOW, the towel turned black with brake dust. Now, since this is my first Spyder, I was hoping that some of you had experience with the amount of brake dust that shows up on the rims. Just seemed a bit excessive. Hoping that it's just a result of a new machine with NEW brakes. :pray:

Have you checked to see if your brake pads are dragging?

Organic pads will wear faster than other pad types. New pads will throw more dust until they bed in. Plus a little dust goes a long way. I don't think I'd worry about it.

r1100rider
04-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Take a look at most any car in traffic brake dust on front much less in back brake dust is a fact of life especially in stop and go traffic

boborgera
04-04-2013, 04:23 AM

Normal, If you weren't getting any dust i would be worried that the pads are glazed.

Captain Fin
04-04-2013, 05:38 AM
:yikes: Did you do a lot of hard braking? I do a great deal of down shifting and keep the brake use to a minimum. You may have pads dragging, as I do not see excessive brake dust on my RTS. I normally give my Spyder a bath once a week.
I see the hot air balloon. Do you pilot it? I owned a Raven balloon for many years and enjoyed the air time.

NancysToy
04-04-2013, 07:17 AM
It is normal with disk brakes (within reason) but more noticeable on the Spyder since the wheels are prominent. If you want to make them easier to clean (and collect less dust) you may wish to try Meguiar's Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier (http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g15009-hot-rims-brake-dust-barrier/).

can-am sam
04-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Brake dust from disk brakes is just the nature of them. Look at car wheels and you will notice that the front wheels have brake dust on them. Especially if the owner has not cleaned them. So far no one has invented dustless brakes.

StanProff
04-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Maybe the rim design being different causes it to cling a little more. I have never noticed much on mine at all, gotta go look now :spyder2:

cpdblegl
04-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Alrighty then... and much thanks for all your comments. I too, use compression and try to stay off my brakes when stopping. The Spyder has excellent compression, and I truly LOVE to downshift! (sounds cool) :D ps Captain Fin... yes, that is my friends Raven, with me above the Wallowa mountains in southeastern Oregon. Enjoyed crewing for him for 25 years here in the northwest. Hoping to take our RT to many rallies around the country some day!

Bob Ledford
04-04-2013, 01:12 PM
When I got my new first time Spyder I made what the dealer Service Manager said was a Can-Am drivers mistake. I was covering the brake pedal all the time I was on it. I was even getting computer warnings popping up on the dash screen.

Another cause could be the rotors and brake pads seating themselves together!

missouriboy
04-05-2013, 05:06 AM
When I got my new first time Spyder I made what the dealer Service Manager said was a Can-Am drivers mistake. I was covering the brake pedal all the time I was on it...All new ryders, TAKE HEED!! :thumbup:

I did the same thing, thinking I just had my foot poised and ready. My Harley buddy behind stopped and informed me he could smell the brakes burning, and my brake light was on! Thank God he was there or I might have held them for the whole ryde. :bowdown:

So, when you're not braking, keep your foot completely away from that pedal.:popcorn: