PDA

View Full Version : OIL LEVEL QUESTION

JKMSPYDER
04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
It is a real pain to check the oil level on my ST-S. I have to warm it up to operating temperature and then check the level. But then I get a lot of foam and it's hard to tell where the oil is on the dipstick. I have another idea, but don't know if it would work. What if you take a wooden dowel long enough to reach the bottom of the oil tank and measured the oil level when the engine is cold and on a level surface. Take out the dowel and put a permanent mark at the highest point of the oil. Then measure 1 inch below that mark and place another permanent mark to designate when oil needs to be added. With this type of measurement the engine would always have to be cold. Does this sound like a good idea or am I missing something? Scotty, BajaRon and others, I need your expert opinion. Thanks!65760

kubie
04-02-2013, 05:55 PM
I am also awaiting ann answer too. Because if you can Im running to Home Depot and getting a Dowel rod! I have the same issue with mine. Good Question!

MouthPiece
04-02-2013, 07:06 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?47576-Checking-oil-level&highlight=checking

Just one of many discussions on this issue.

Chris

mcaccamise
04-02-2013, 07:36 PM
As i was told if you take a measurement on the dip stick just after an oil change full than run until warm shut down let cool and measure without scerwing the stick in it should be just north of the lower cross hatch mark on the stick.
The idea was not to have to screw in the stick and to be able to check cold on level surface.
Mike

NancysToy
04-02-2013, 08:41 PM
It is a bit of a pain, and maybe a little fussy, but there are good reasons for it to be done that way. It is the most repeatable method, given the wide variation in level due to temperature. Best thing to do is check your oil right after a ride. If you wait 30-60 seconds after you shut it off, the foam should dissipate. If not, and oil change or a different brand of oil could be in order.

Chupaca
04-02-2013, 10:03 PM
:agree: I always check when I pull into the garage after a ride. By the time I pull the panel off our RS the foam is gone. Then I remove the o ring to make it easier to install and remove the dipstick. :ohyea:

BajaRon
04-03-2013, 01:16 PM
My solution would be to use an oil that does not foam so much. I use Amsoil and it foams so little it is virtually zero. Not to mention it gives me much better protection at the same time.

It is very easy to get an accurate oil level reading when your oil isn't foaming. I can check my oil right after I park with no problem.

I just don't like an oil that foams, especially when the engine oil also lubricates the transmission.

Bob Ledford
04-03-2013, 07:41 PM
I like a big dummy went for a long period of counting on the dealer service department to do it. Then one day thought the engine sounded funky. Better check the oil, 2011 RTL? SE-5, it was just touching to end of the dipstick.

So I tried to put the stick back in so I could go to the dealer and find out what ate my oil? Now I did read the manual. That's where I found the magic panel it was hidden behind. What they forgot to add in the manual is the stupid little o-ring sticks to the engine block in my case. Figured out that little problem wasting about an hour. Got to the dealer and the Service Manager, Mark, came out, removed the panel, removed the dipstick, blotted it dry with a paper towel, screwed it back in, took it back out, held it to where you could see the oil on the very tip end. Declaring yes it was low on oil. Went and got an open container from a early morning Spyder oil change with a little funnel and poured what looked like a shot glass of oil in it. Rechecked the level and declared it needed more. It took about 4 ounces.

I asked almost the same question except I wanted to beta chrome or a white one. Since then I discovered several guys tried dip dowels with bad results, one used a plain dowel and it soaked up the oil that you could not wipe off. Another tried varnishing thr wood but that did the. Same thing it just took a month longer.

After finding out what amounts to four ounces difference between full and add oil I just decided it wasn't worth the effort.