PDA

View Full Version : Going Black... my DIY dipped wheels and handlebars

Pablito
04-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Thought I would post a few pics of my fresh dipped wheels and handle bars. The silver wheels and handlebars just didn't suit me and I thought looked odd and took away from the sportiness of my RS Spyder so after much reading and watching Youtube videos I went for it and Dipped my wheels. Actually Its probably more accurate to say that I Plastidiped my wheels and handle bars. I love the matte finish and I think the black just gives it a tougher look and the best part is if I get sick of it and want to change the color or even go back to stock it peels right off and the factory finish is protected. Thinking I may give the body panels a shot next for a hot rod matte finish and color change.

bcoulter19
04-02-2013, 02:16 PM
how hard and expensive is it to do?

Pablito
04-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Super easy, and cheap. The trick is to make sure you get 3-4 good coats on it. The first one being a light coat only about 50% coverage just to set up a base for the following coats. You can pick up Plastidip spray at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart. They all sell Black some also sell matte white but there are all kinds of colors you can order and you can order gallon size or spray cans. I used spray cans for my stuff that is pictured. Cleaned the stuff well with a degreaser for the wheels, wiped down the bars with a little thinner to clean them then sprayed them you don't have to scuff them or sand them or anything so your not damaging the factory finish whatsoever. I used two cans Matte black and that did 4 coats on each wheel and four coats on the Handlebar cover total cost less than $15

bcoulter19
04-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Did you just cover the tires so you didn't get any on them and then spray the wheels. that is so awesome. I may have to look at that. thanks for your reply.:D

Some Guy
04-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Sweet! :thumbup:

StanProff
04-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Thought I would post a few pics of my fresh dipped wheels and handle bars. The silver wheels and handlebars just didn't suit me and I thought looked odd and took away from the sportiness of my RS Spyder so after much reading and watching Youtube videos I went for it and Dipped my wheels. Actually Its probably more accurate to say that I Plastidiped my wheels and handle bars. I love the matte finish and I think the black just gives it a tougher look and the best part is if I get sick of it and want to change the color or even go back to stock it peels right off and the factory finish is protected. Thinking I may give the body panels a shot next for a hot rod matte finish and color change.

Like it! I think I'll try it on my bars and maybe the silver heavy duty panel at the foot pegs.

Pablito
04-02-2013, 03:08 PM
your not going to believe this but... NO I didn't mask the tire one bit. When spraying the wheels just make sure that you spray a 3-4 coats a few inches onto the tire YES actually spray half of the tire right along with the wheel go ahead and coat that bad boy real good. Wait 10 minutes between coats for each one to dry a little (may want to bump that to 15 min if your in a cold climate). When you have about 4 good coats on the wheel and yes about half way up the tire too and it looks the way you want let it sit for at least 4 hours. When you come back you kinda peel the plastidip that you sprayed onto the tire with your fingers until you you can get a hold of it then you just simply peel it right off the tire and DONE! perfect line of the wheel nothing left on the tire and you didn't have to mask off a thing. If you don't like the plastidip on the wheels any more you can do the same thing just peel it right off the wheel. I didn't even mask off the center caps or take them out i sprayed right over top of them then used a flat screw driver to push a little tear in the plastidip on the center cap then peeled it right off and it cut a perfect line all by itself. This was my first time trying this so i haven't gotten to doing the back wheel yet but i was so pleased in how easy and cheap it was and IMO how well it came out that you better believe that back wheel is coming off and getting sprayed here real soon. :-)

Pablito
04-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Being new here I don't mean to break any rules but here is a link to the place that got me so interested in this and showed me exactly how to do it. They post lots of youtube tutorial videos too painting brand new BMW M3's and Ferrari's and what not with this same stuff https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php I apologize if i'm not supposed to post a link to different site. Search dipyourcar on youtube you'll find tons of videos showing cars, bikes, wheels everything even removing the stuff. I ordered some matte red that i'm going to use to change the color of my yellow and I will take pics of the how it goes as soon as it comes in. I may even peel it off a panel just to show how easy it is to remove or change the color.

Lamonster
04-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Looks great :thumbup:

Pablito
04-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Thank you!!!! :D

spydaman60
04-02-2013, 03:29 PM
LOOOOOKIN GOOOOOD!!!!!!! REALLY MAKES THE YELLOW POP EVEN MORE WITHOUT ALL THE SILVER GRAY! I REALLY LIKE IT!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Pablito
04-02-2013, 03:32 PM
LOOOOOKIN GOOOOOD!!!!!!! REALLY MAKES THE YELLOW POP EVEN MORE WITHOUT ALL THE SILVER GRAY! I REALLY LIKE IT!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you, I'm digging that RSS of yours ... SCHWEET!!!!

spydaman60
04-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Thank you, I'm digging that RSS of yours ... SCHWEET!!!!THANKS!!

Pablito
04-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Looks great :thumbup:

Thank you man, That beast of yours is monster! Been watching some of the videos that you have posted. Just watched the one on taking off the rear wheel yesterday. Thank you for posting stuff like that. I'm not new to custom vehicles but I am new to the Can Am and its great to be able to see something done before diving in a messing it up on my own :2thumbs:

bcoulter19
04-02-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm really gping to have to look into this the next bad weekend we have or maybe after work one week. I really like the idea.

Cruzr Joe
04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Did you re-balance the tires?

cruzr joe

arntufun
04-02-2013, 07:41 PM
I wish I knew about plasti-dip before I spent hundreds on powder coat !!!!!! Looks great !!!! :thumbup:

Eihsauqm
04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Looks great! :clap: Did you have to take off the handlebars or did you just tape them off?

Chupaca
04-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Great job. Makes a big difference on the whole look..congrats..!! :2thumbs:

Pablito
04-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Looks great! :clap: Did you have to take off the handlebars or did you just tape them off?
Thank you, I just taped them off a bit. Cut some of the thin clear plastic drop cloth and draped it over the windscreen and tank area and stuff. Any Plastidip that got on parts that I didn't want it on I just peeled it off.

I wish I knew about plasti-dip before I spent hundreds on powder coat !!!!!! Looks great !!!! :thumbup:
Well.... it's not going to compare to powder coating thats for sure. It's not going to be nearly as durable as that but it's quick and cheap and I think achieves the look I was going

Did you re-balance the tires?
Nope, and I only took them off so that I could spray in the insides other than that I have seen people spray the outsides of wheels and simply run some thin clear plastic behind the spokes to keep the spray off the rotors and caliper but I thought it better to just pull the wheels off and makes sure they got a good coating inside and outside. The next day I went on a l60 mile little road trip and I noticed no difference in the the balance of the tires.

CyncySpyder
04-03-2013, 10:13 AM
I've been in the middle of taking a page out of ByteMi's Mod book and been working on blacking out Teds Red Sled using Bed-Liner spray & its been working really well on the parts that I've done so far & then I saw this post & got intrigued:shocked: :hun:

I stopped by Ace Hardware last night, picked up a couple cans of the black Plasti-Dip and also a smaller can (not spray) of the Red Plasti-Dip and now I think I'm going to try using this first, on the parts I have yet to do and see how the results are. I like the fact that this isn't a permanant solution, and if I don't like the look, I can just peel it right off & then continue with the Bed-Liner application:thumbup:

:2thumbs:Just wanted to say thanks for bringing this to all of our attentions :bowdown: and I really like how yours turned out :thumbup:

Pablito
04-03-2013, 11:14 AM
I've been in the middle of taking a page out of ByteMi's Mod book and been working on blacking out Teds Red Sled using Bed-Liner spray & its been working really well on the parts that I've done so far & then I saw this post & got intrigued:shocked: :hun:

I stopped by Ace Hardware last night, picked up a couple cans of the black Plasti-Dip and also a smaller can (not spray) of the Red Plasti-Dip and now I think I'm going to try using this first, on the parts I have yet to do and see how the results are. I like the fact that this isn't a permanant solution, and if I don't like the look, I can just peel it right off & then continue with the Bed-Liner application:thumbup:

:2thumbs:Just wanted to say thanks for bringing this to all of our attentions :bowdown: and I really like how yours turned out :thumbup:

Thank you man!... I love the fact that its non permanent too since i could change the look every couple months if i get the whim or just want something different. Good luck brotha, Im waiting on my Red Matte Plastidip to come in. They said it was shipped yesterday so hopefully in the next day or two i will have it and ready for a weekend project. They are spraying the stuff from gallon cans (i assume the small cans are the same) from a home HVLP gun and getting great results I hate cleaning paint guns and our stuff is fairly small so im going the rattle can approach since its not permanent and well worst case is i wasted $20 or $30 but I'm pretty sure I will know if i like the way its coming out after the first panel is done and if it turns out like my other stuff did I'm gonna be happy.

Post some pics I cant wait to see what you think and how it turns out!

cacrane
04-07-2013, 07:25 AM
I have a Black RT, but I prefer the flat black. I am going to try this on some of my body panels and also to black out the chrome pieces and now that I've seen your pictures I am going to black out the tires.

For the gray area down by the footboards, and pegs, that metal gets pretty warm - was thinking of using a High Heat flat black paint to cover that area up.

Thanks for sharing, as I was thinking of using the Truck Bed liner for this project, but there is no going back with that.

CyncySpyder
04-08-2013, 06:46 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66002&d=1365416689 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1522&attachmentid=64242)

(http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1522&attachmentid=64242)http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66003&d=1365416709 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1522&attachmentid=66002)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66005&d=1365416759 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1522&attachmentid=66004)

CyncySpyder
04-08-2013, 06:49 AM
I have a Black RT, but I prefer the flat black. I am going to try this on some of my body panels and also to black out the chrome pieces and now that I've seen your pictures I am going to black out the tires. For the gray area down by the footboards, and pegs, that metal gets pretty warm - was thinking of using a High Heat flat black paint to cover that area up.
Thanks for sharing, as I was thinking of using the Truck Bed liner for this project, but there is no going back with that.

:clap: AND I LIKE IT ALOT !!! :clap:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66006&d=1365416772 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1522&attachmentid=66005)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66007&d=1365416802 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1522&attachmentid=66006)

CyncySpyder
04-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Did the handlebars in Plasti-Dip & they turned out better than I expected. Love knowing if I didn't like it, I could easily remove it without issue.

Since the foot-peg supports go thru alot of harshness, I first primed them & then coated them with Bed-Liner spray. Wasn't as easy as the Plasti-Dip, but I was very happy with the end result, and if I didn't tell you they were different, you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference yourself. The bedliner has just a tad bit more texture to it, but is still smooth just like the Plasti-Dip.

:yes:Great experience & its like we have a totally different Spyder now :yes:

Went a step further and even did both the front wheels in the black Plasti-Dip as well & really liked how they look:thumbup:

Tho, I couldn't leave well enough alone & added something to them:shocked: I'm not sure how they turned out with the addition, and will have to wait for another sunny day to take the Sled out & see if I like it or not before I post:gaah:

If not, I can just peel it off & redo the wheels once again in just the black Plasti-Dip, as I really like that blacked out look :doorag:

spyder-dude
04-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Very nice! :thumbup:

Pablito
04-08-2013, 09:29 AM
(http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1522&attachmentid=64242)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66005&d=1365416759 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1522&attachmentid=66004)

WOOT WOOT!!!! looks AWESOME MAN!!! love the foot peg mounts too!!! I need to do mine too but like you I will use regular flat or satin paint just because of the wear that gets with shoes and boots rubbing against it all the time hey btw.... HIGH FIVE!!! :-D

Pablito
04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Did the handlebars in Plasti-Dip & they turned out better than I expected. Love knowing if I didn't like it, I could easily remove it without issue.

Since the foot-peg supports go thru alot of harshness, I first primed them & then coated them with Bed-Liner spray. Wasn't as easy as the Plasti-Dip, but I was very happy with the end result, and if I didn't tell you they were different, you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference yourself. The bedliner has just a tad bit more texture to it, but is still smooth just like the Plasti-Dip.

:yes:Great experience & its like we have a totally different Spyder now :yes:

Went a step further and even did both the front wheels in the black Plasti-Dip as well & really liked how they look:thumbup:

Tho, I couldn't leave well enough alone & added something to them:shocked: I'm not sure how they turned out with the addition, and will have to wait for another sunny day to take the Sled out & see if I like it or not before I post:gaah:

If not, I can just peel it off & redo the wheels once again in just the black Plasti-Dip, as I really like that blacked out look :doorag:

It is totally addicting right!!! Congrats on a confusing your friends and neighbors on thinking that you traded it on another Spyder too!! haha... The stuff is soooo cool isn't it and the way it peels off and you don't have to worry about over spray AMAZING right.

MouthPiece
05-19-2013, 11:11 AM
I just did my wheels to my 622 trailer. I have a couple of questions. (dummy me didn't ask before I started my job). First, when I went to put the wheel back on the trailer, the lug nuts penetrated or tore some of my work.

Question: Do I just spray over that tear or what? Do I have to start all over? What I did was tear back and resprayed. Was this a mistake?

Question: For those of you that have done this, how has it held up? Lamont I know that you did it on your trailer. Has it, the coating, held up from road rash, etc?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

arntufun
05-19-2013, 04:33 PM
I like this thread so much I dipped my wheels of my truck !!!!!!!!! :yes:

1VENOM
05-19-2013, 04:41 PM
:bbq::bbq::clap::clap:

MouthPiece
05-19-2013, 06:28 PM
I just did my wheels to my 622 trailer. I have a couple of questions. (dummy me didn't ask before I started my job). First, when I went to put the wheel back on the trailer, the lug nuts penetrated or tore some of my work.

Question: Do I just spray over that tear or what? Do I have to start all over? What I did was tear back and resprayed. Was this a mistake?

Question: For those of you that have done this, how has it held up? Lamont I know that you did it on your trailer. Has it, the coating, held up from road rash, etc?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

Looks like I didn't follow administrative protocol by posting a question. I'll submit in a different subforum.

Chris