PDA

View Full Version : A BIG THANKS TO BRUISER

grumpybob
04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
for sending me a cd of 27 In Country songs of Vietnam. I listened to 14 of the songs so far and they all tell a story, some painful - all true. The write-ups about all the songs and the writers singers are as interesting as the songs themselves. The music behind the lyrics such as, king of the Road by Roger Miller, Strawberry Roan by more thou Michael Martin Murphy is my favorite, Sitting on The Dock at the Bay by Al Greene etc. The song 'Jolly Green' is good - it covers the whole conflict although the song is about the HH series, when I was there we had mostly the CH-3 series and they were all green not camo.

bruiser
04-01-2013, 06:20 PM
You are very welcome my friend. I'm glad you are enjoying it. It does bring back memories.

ARtraveler
04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
RE: Viet Nam era records. Try to find a SSGT Barry Sadler record (I believe it was on RCA). He wrote and sang 12 real good VN songs. I believe that was his only album--but he did real well with it. I had one but it's long gone now.

He was most famous for the song Ballad of the Green Berets. It's on Google search, but I cannot get it to transfer here. Maybe someone can help.

;)

bruiser
04-01-2013, 07:47 PM
You are correct. He made one album after his #1 hit Ballad of the Green Berets. Unfortunately he didn't have a good life after discharge. He killed a man in 1978 and served less than a month. He himself was shot in the head and died in 1989. I think he was 49 or 50 when he died. He joined the Army after serving in the Air Force.
Green Beret school, or more correctly, the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School is at Ft. Bragg NC. About 75 miles from us. They are technically not refered to as Green Berets anymore. They are refered to as Special Operators.

bruisersbaby
04-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Is this what you wanted, AK?

http://youtu.be/-1CZ3xk4R08

mowin
04-01-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm a classic rock fan, and I know alot of those songs mentioned were Vietnam based songs, but I dont know the true meanings of the songs.. They are some of my favorite tunes....I was born when that conflict was half way thru..
Dad was In WW2, and I have always felt a connection to those who served. I wanted to serve, but when I was 13, I got hit by a car, and broke both legs. I tried go sign up, but couldnt pass the physical.. So I wasnt there, but I respect those that have and are serving. Maybe the songs are the only way I can some what relate...

ARtraveler
04-01-2013, 09:02 PM
:thumbup: Thank you BB.

bruisersbaby
04-01-2013, 09:14 PM
You're welcome, AK!

wyliec
04-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Sitting on The Dock at the Bay by Al Greene etc. .

I always liked that song. But, to the best of my recollection, it was sung by Otis Redding.

bruisersbaby
04-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I always liked that song. But, to the best of my recollection, it was sung by Otis Redding.

You are right - it was Otis Redding. Google is my friend lol!!

Chupaca
04-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Great music from a tough era. Rejected but housed many off MacDill AFB Tampa Fla. Some never came back. Songs can be painful...but memories sweet..!!

grumpybob
04-02-2013, 09:26 AM

You are correct on that. After listening to the first 9 songs I wasn't thinking quite right. Like Otis Redding also.

JkRbbt
04-02-2013, 10:20 AM
May I ask something on a lighter note? Anyone ever heard or know where I can find a copy of the recording "What the Captain Really Meant to Say"? Was a humorous rendition of an interview of a crusty old Captain in Nam. He would be asked a question and reply in a rather "eloquent" fashion and then the base P.R. person would interject, "What the Captain really meant to say..." Was enjoying a beverage at the O-club and it came across the P.A. system. Had us rolling on the floor. Just never been able to track it down.
Loren
USAF/AFNG/Res 1972-1981

bruiser
04-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Rabbit, check out www.fighterpilotuniversity.com (http://www.fighterpilotuniversity.com). Click on the WTFO tab. I haven't heard that particular recording in years. It is funny and very typical of what happens.

JkRbbt
04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanx, Bruiser! Much appreciated!