PDA

View Full Version : Trying to help a lady friend

StillaOn2Wheels
04-01-2013, 01:05 PM
I have a friend that just bought herself a beautiful 2013 ST Limited and is doing her license test next weekend. I have been taking her out to some areas and letting her get some practice in on her machine. Myself, I'm still a 2 wheeled rider but I wanted to help her get her Spyder fitted for her.

If anybody would like to make some suggestions it would be much appreciated. I already read about the steering issues and she will have the dealer check alignment. We just got the odometer over 200 yesterday ;-)

First thing is due to a injury she has a issue with her right ankle and has a little difficulty pressing the brake pedal. Is there anybody that makes a pedal extension to either legthen or relocate the pad further out?

She would also like to have a drink holder. It doesn't need to be a factory unit but a nice/simple aftermarket of even home modded adaption would be fine.

Last, for now, would be a reasonable priced passenger backrest

Thanks for looking, more thanks for any help.

Chupaca
04-01-2013, 01:14 PM
the sponsors on the home page. You will find they have all your asking about. As for the backrest haven't seen cheap ones. For some lower priced items check on E-bay and amazon who do carry allot of spyder parts...good luck...:thumbup:

bullant12
04-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Some of the forums vendors have options with the brake pedal. And if she wants to go high end quality she can contact ISCI for a great hand brake.

Backrest: if she's not going to change the seat, the Utopia backrest is the best out there: http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html

Good luck!!

ARtraveler
04-01-2013, 02:07 PM
:welcome: Keep doing what you are. I recommend about 1000 miles before taking the test so that you have become one with the :spyder2: and don't have to think about things before you do them.

The brake pad extenders work very well. I have them on both RT's. Back rests are not a low priced item--but do make the ride much more comfortable.

Keep us posted.

StillaOn2Wheels
04-01-2013, 02:16 PM
:welcome: Keep doing what you are. I recommend about 1000 miles before taking the test so that you have become one with the :spyder2: and don't have to think about things before you do them.

The brake pad extenders work very well. I have them on both RT's. Back rests are not a low priced item--but do make the ride much more comfortable.

Keep us posted.

Well, she already has everything lined up for the test and it's on a different model than what she owns so familiarity is off the table.
The backrest is for a passenger, not the driver.
As for the brake pedal/pad extension, can you provide the manufacturer of it?

ARtraveler
04-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Try: Tricled: a site sponser.

http://tricplate.com/

Bob Denman
04-01-2013, 02:46 PM
TricLEDs has one... 65681

bullant12
04-01-2013, 02:50 PM
The backrest is for a passenger, not the driver.

In that case, I highly recommend BRP's Rear Sport Rack and Backrest http://store.spyder.brp.com/products/631089/SPYDER_ST. My wife at first was not wanting to buy it for her RS, but after I convinced her that my Mother in Law would want to rYde more with her than in my RT (my autosuggestion;)) she says yes to it. We rode hers for a bit the other day with the back rest on, and we both agree it is as comfy as a RT backrest. It also gives the passanger a great sense of security IMHO.

Pennyrick
04-01-2013, 03:30 PM
I have a friend that just bought herself a beautiful 2013 ST Limited and is doing her license test next weekend. I have been taking her out to some areas and letting her get some practice in on her machine. Myself, I'm still a 2 wheeled rider but I wanted to help her get her Spyder fitted for her.

First thing is due to a injury she has a issue with her right ankle and has a little difficulty pressing the brake pedal. Is there anybody that makes a pedal extension to either legthen or relocate the pad further out?

Thanks for looking, more thanks for any help.

I recently put a set a floor boards on my '12 RT and discovered that the brake pedal would depress almost level with the boards. That felt uncomfortable to me so I looked for a way to move the pedal up. There is no adjustment for that so I had a local machine shop make me an aluminum spacer measuring 2-1/2" x 1" x 3/4" deep. I had them drill slots based on the holes in the bottom of the rubber pedal, bought longer mounting bolts and re-assembled with the spacer between the pedal and the brake arm.

That raised the pedal up to where it felt comfortable to me. Your friend could do the same thing and if she needed to raise it an inch or more the spacer can just be made deeper.

ARtraveler
04-01-2013, 03:54 PM
RE: Seals and the extended brake pedal. Sealfloorboards has a spacer rubber plug now that goes under the pedal. Effectively raises the pedal so you don't have the bottoming out effect.

StillaOn2Wheels
04-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Looks like the suggested TricLED pad will work but not 100% sure and neither are they since they have not tried to fit it to the new ST model yet. I want to check with the dealer and see if the part number for the OEM pad is the same on the RT and ST. If so, the TricLED will work.

Drink holder is a go
As for the new happy owner, she passed her test Saturday, got her endorsement Monday and :shemademe_smilie: I rode back seat with her last night on her first real ride.
We have a winner! She's hooked, she's hooked, her brain is cooked. A new Spyder Lover is born.

Kagey_98
04-10-2013, 09:47 PM
$12.00
http://www.brica.com/drink-pod-stroller-drink-holder/

JoanofArc29-100
05-30-2013, 05:26 PM
I noticed that a guy who is "samewok" had added a lot of nice accesories to his ST. Maybe you can contact him!
I would like to ad some of the acc's to the ST-S I'm fixing to purchase!!

Bob Denman
05-31-2013, 11:16 AM
As for the new happy owner, she passed her test Saturday, got her endorsement Monday and :shemademe_smilie: I rode back seat with her last night on her first real ride.
We have a winner! She's hooked, she's hooked, her brain is cooked. A new Spyder Lover is born.

:congrats: to her... and you for your patience! :thumbup: :yes::ohyea::yes:

Cruzr Joe
05-31-2013, 12:32 PM
RE: Seals and the extended brake pedal. Sealfloorboards has a spacer rubber plug now that goes under the pedal. Effectively raises the pedal so you don't have the bottoming out effect.

I have the seal pup floorboards and the spacer between the metal and the rubber is aluminum.

Cruzr joe