PDA

View Full Version : 2013 15" Wheels

AZSPYDER
03-31-2013, 09:42 AM
A thread was started about what it would take to put the 2013 RS wheels on an earlier model GS/RS. Did anyone find a difinitive answer?

MarkLawson
03-31-2013, 10:47 AM
As I understand it, you also have to replace the fenders and the fender brackets to make it work.

bluestratos
03-31-2013, 10:51 AM
I was at the dealer yesterday and they had replacement tires for the 2013 next to the 2012 tires and the over all diameter and width were the same but the less sidewall so a bigger rim is required. I doubt you would need to change anything but the rubber to use the wheels.

AZSPYDER
03-31-2013, 09:59 PM
A thread was started about what it would take to put the 2013 RS wheels on an earlier model GS/RS. Did anyone find a difinitive answer?

I guess the diameter issue is not a concern, but did they change the offset of the wheel? I might get by the dealer this week and stick a tape measure in there to check.

YIRYDE
03-31-2013, 10:42 PM
All of the 2013 Spyders have 15" low profile tires and 15" rims. The 2013 RS has the fender from the previous years RS models and the 2013 RSS has the new fender. It appears all you need is the 15" rims and tires and it should work.

When it's time for me to replace my tires I plan on putting the 2013 15" rims and tires on my RT.

mellowcmb
04-01-2013, 01:07 AM
At this point, the many people that I've asked with vast knowledge of the Spyders have told me that the 15" inch wheels WILL NOT fit the older GS/RS models. With the 2013 going with a bigger brake system, they had to change the dimensions of the new wheels to clear the brembro brakes. The new wheels will not clear the older style brakes as I have been told. The older brake system is a little smaller than the new ones, so the position of the calipers on the old brakes will rub on the the 15" wheels.:banghead:
As I suggested on the other thread, if a dealership would be kind enough to just try on the new wheels on an older model, then we can all get a definite answer. Maybe Lamont could help us since he's got the new ST. :clap: Anyways, I sure would love to know a definite answer cuz I'm dying to put the new wheels on my 2011 RSS if the wheels fit.
Not sure, however, on the details for the RT model. Probably the same as well.

mellowcmb
04-01-2013, 01:12 AM
I guess the diameter issue is not a concern, but did they change the offset of the wheel? I might get by the dealer this week and stick a tape measure in there to check.
I think the offset is the same from previous wheels, however I think the dimensions of the center part of the wheel is a little different on the 15" wheels to accommodate for the brembro brakes. I hope it's not so cuz I sure would love those bigger wheels.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-01-2013, 06:30 AM
This is where it gets interesting... :shocked: If we assume that the new Brembos are larger than the old setup; wouldn't the wheels have a bit MORE clearance to make more room for them? I would think that the 15" wheels should fit... But a test fit sounds like a wise idea! :thumbup:

YIRYDE
04-01-2013, 07:07 AM
In the new 2013 catalog on page 86 it says they should fit all models but I agree that it needs to be verified. I'm hoping that the brakes on the prvious models will not be an issue.

mellowcmb
04-02-2013, 01:12 AM
In the new 2013 catalog on page 86 it says they should fit all models but I agree that it needs to be verified. I'm hoping that the brakes on the prvious models will not be an issue.

yes. I was looking at that too, but it's definitely misleading. I think what the catalog is trying to tell us is that it will only fit the rs 2013, rt 2013, and st 2013 models. But I too read it the same way you did and thought they meant previous models of the rs and rt. CanAm just wasn't clear on the description.:banghead:

8 legs nz
04-02-2013, 01:46 AM
yes. I was looking at that too, but it's definitely misleading. I think what the catalog is trying to tell us is that it will only fit the rs 2013, rt 2013, and st 2013 models. But I too read it the same way you did and thought they meant previous models of the rs and rt. CanAm just wasn't clear on the description.:banghead:

If you look close at the photo's of each rim you will see that it refures to the rs st rt 2013 and a part number for this.:lecturef_smilie:

On some pages it will say 2012 and below :yikes: so watch out

trev0006
05-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Good thing I read your post, I was about to try the 15 inch wheels.

At this point, the many people that I've asked with vast knowledge of the Spyders have told me that the 15" inch wheels WILL NOT fit the older GS/RS models. With the 2013 going with a bigger brake system, they had to change the dimensions of the new wheels to clear the brembro brakes. The new wheels will not clear the older style brakes as I have been told. The older brake system is a little smaller than the new ones, so the position of the calipers on the old brakes will rub on the the 15" wheels.:banghead:
As I suggested on the other thread, if a dealership (http://www.dpccars.com/) would be kind enough to just try on the new wheels on an older model, then we can all get a definite answer. Maybe Lamont could help us since he's got the new ST. :clap: Anyways, I sure would love to know a definite answer cuz I'm dying to put the new wheels on my 2011 RSS if the wheels tires (http://www.discountpartcenter.com/) fit.

ARCTIC
05-16-2013, 01:40 PM
As I suggested on the other thread, if a dealership would be kind enough to just try on the new wheels on an older model, then we can all get a definite answer. Maybe Lamont could help us since he's got the new ST. :clap: Anyways, I sure would love to know a definite answer cuz I'm dying to put the new wheels on my 2011 RSS if the wheels fit.

But theres already a member on here that put 15" wheels on their RT.

mellowcmb
05-18-2013, 02:41 AM
But theres already a member on here that put 15" wheels on their RT.
I saw that post. I got pretty excited knowing that the new wheels fit the older RT models. Now, if I can only get someone to help me out with an RS model:thumbup:. I'm so ready to buy the whole set up if it works out.

SpyderWolf
05-18-2013, 06:41 AM
I am going tag along to find out about the GS/RS fitting as well.

Flanker
05-18-2013, 08:45 AM
At this point, the many people that I've asked with vast knowledge of the Spyders have told me that the 15" inch wheels WILL NOT fit the older GS/RS models. With the 2013 going with a bigger brake system, they had to change the dimensions of the new wheels to clear the brembro brakes. The new wheels will not clear the older style brakes as I have been told. The older brake system is a little smaller than the new ones, so the position of the calipers on the old brakes will rub on the the 15" wheels.
Doesn't make sense. Not only is the outside diameter of a 15" rim larger than a 14", the inside diameter also is. If a 14" will clear the caliper...................it's very likely the 15" rim will to. Next time I'm at my dealership (next week) I'll try to remember to get dimensions on my calipers and the Brembo units they got on the '13 RSS setting on the showroom floor. The brake rotors on a '13 are specced at 270mm, as opposed to the '12, which is specced at 250mm. Don't see a lot of reason to go to the 15s, unless you like the styling of the newer rims (I prefer the straight spokes on my '12 RSS). Handling might be a bit sharper with the lower aspect ration/stiffer side wall of the '13 tires (165/55/15 vs 165/65/14). If I upgrade anything on my wheels/spindles it'll be some EBC brake pads, or pads and rotors. :doorag:

Flanker
05-19-2013, 03:26 PM
I rode over to my dealership yesterday (beautiful day; ended up gong much further than that before it was all over). I used my trusty tape measure to do a quick and dirty comparo between the front axel centerline to outside edge of the caliper distance on my '12 RSS and the '13 RSS the dealership had on the floor. 5.5 inches for both.....................leading me to think the '12 calipers are larger (front edge to back edge) than the '13 Brembos, but still.............the 15" 2013 RSS rims should fit an older model RSS (likely other models also) with NP.

Bob Denman
05-19-2013, 05:28 PM
We had another member test-fit the 15" wheels on his 2012, and they slid in without a hitch!
So they WILL fit!!
:2thumbs:
:clap:
:yes:
:ohyea:

mellowcmb
05-19-2013, 06:05 PM
I rode over to my dealership yesterday (beautiful day; ended up gong much further than that before it was all over). I used my trusty tape measure to do a quick and dirty comparo between the front axel centerline to outside edge of the caliper distance on my '12 RSS and the '13 RSS the dealership had on the floor. 5.5 inches for both.....................leading me to think the '12 calipers are larger (front edge to back edge) than the '13 Brembos, but still.............the 15" 2013 RSS rims should fit an older model RSS (likely other models also) with NP.

Sounds promising. Just waiting on a call back from my dealership to see if they would test fit the new wheel on my RSS. Keeping my fingers crossed.

mellowcmb
05-19-2013, 06:07 PM
We had another member test-fit the 15" wheels on his 2012, and they slid in without a hitch!
So they WILL fit!!
Was that on a RT or RS? Does it make a difference?

SpyderWolf
05-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Was that on a RT or RS? Does it make a difference?

Good question. :popcorn:

Bob Denman
05-20-2013, 06:57 AM
It wouldn't matter; they use the same brakes and fenders... :thumbup:

asp125
05-20-2013, 12:35 PM
So they WILL fit!!

:clap::yes:, BUT.. do they change the offset or backspacing? Going from a 14x5 to 15x7 makes me think you'd have to account for the increased 2" per side - or mess up your steering geometry slightly with a wider track.

mellowcmb
05-20-2013, 05:20 PM
From my understanding, the new wheels are still 5" wide but just 1" taller. So the dimensions are 15 x 5.

asp125
05-20-2013, 08:48 PM
From my understanding, the new wheels are still 5" wide but just 1" taller. So the dimensions are 15 x 5.

Ah.. I was mistaken.. my google-fu was weak this morning.