PDA

View Full Version : White Residue Off Black Plastics

donnellpj
03-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Good afternoon all,

Last weekend I hit the black plastics up on the dash/handlebar grips with a cleaner meant for chrome polishing. (It was a spray bottle, long story, suffice it to say it went off by accident,.. <ahem>)

It left a white residue on the black plastics. Does anyone know a good "solvent" to get that white residue off without destroying the finish on the plastics? I think with some elbow grease I could scrub it out, using Armor-all wipes or something, but I think I'm going to damage the finish doing it that way.

Thanks in advance. --P

kubie
03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Im a big fan of WD40. I know it won't hurt the plastic. Not saying it will work for sure, But worth a try all the same!

Netminder
03-29-2013, 03:15 PM
I would think a good plastic/vinyl conditioner should take care of the residue. That is what I use when I get some wax on any black plastic parts. I think trying to scrub them out will do more damage. JMHO!:thumbup: Sometimes wax or chrome polish will discolour these parts and the only way is a conditioner once in awhile to keep them black.

the nip
03-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Back To Black you can find it at most auto parts stores, even walter world has it.

wyliec
03-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Back To Black you can find it at most auto parts stores, even walter world has it.

:thumbup:I've used on the dull black plastic panels on the spyder. It works fine.

ThreeWheels
03-29-2013, 03:45 PM

I second that. Or by now, I may be thirding that vote.

Mother's Back to Black. Great stuff. I useed on the plastic of my Piaggio as well. Makes a HUGE difference.

donnellpj
03-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks all! Good advice. I'll give it a shot!

Bob Ledford
03-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Good afternoon all,

Last weekend I hit the black plastics up on the dash/handlebar grips with a cleaner meant for chrome polishing. (It was a spray bottle, long story, suffice it to say it went off by accident,.. <ahem>)

It left a white residue on the black plastics. Does anyone know a good "solvent" to get that white residue off without destroying the finish on the plastics? I think with some elbow grease I could scrub it out, using Armor-all wipes or something, but I think I'm going to damage the finish doing it that way.

Thanks in advance. --P

Don't you just hate it when you a bone head stunt like that?

I have had extremely good luck with an automotive paint preparation product name " Prep-Sol." That was 25 years ago. It is used to wipe greasy finger prints and dust offs of the surface to be painted.

You might try 409 or a similar kitchen cleaner before you try anything else!

klinton
03-29-2013, 07:44 PM
What I found out the best way to get white residue off black plastic is get a tooth brush and cut half of the bristle off and work it in a circlular motion on the plastic and it will clean it up good

Chupaca
03-29-2013, 07:51 PM
With the WD40 but if really sticky, tacky, them Goop..!!:dontknow:

kyspyder
03-29-2013, 08:09 PM
www.wipenew.com/

NancysToy
03-29-2013, 08:09 PM
What I found out the best way to get white residue off black plastic is get a tooth brush and cut half of the bristle off and work it in a circlular motion on the plastic and it will clean it up good
:agree: You don't even have to cut the bristles most of the time, just work it with the brush. It helps to use a similar product that doesn't leave a residue as a solvent. Lemon Pledge or Turtle Wax Ice products are pretty safe. A final cleaning with Windex Multipurpose with Vinegar should make it like new. Don't use regular Windex with Ammonia!

OJ UK
03-29-2013, 08:17 PM
ArmorAll on a nail brush gently then buff up....should be fine! HTH
I've done similar meself!.....During a senior moment, of course!