PDA

View Full Version : Alaska - March 27, 1964

Jeriatric
03-27-2013, 06:21 PM
49 years ago at 5:36 PM the most powerful earthquake ever measured in the United States shook Alaska. Also known as the “Good Friday Earthquake,” it registered a magnitude of 9.2

Duration estimates range from 3 to 5 minutes.

otter28169
03-27-2013, 06:29 PM
all I have to say is WOW:shocked:

They grow 'em tougher in the AK..........

Just sayin'............

ARtraveler
03-27-2013, 07:07 PM
I am happy to say I was not around here when it happened. Have been to the museum and looked at the earthquake pictures. Very scarry stuff to look at.

We do go through quakes on a regular basis here--but most are not much bigger than a 5. Everything shakes, but usually no damage. My first quake was quite scarry. Epicenter was quite close and it sounded as though a freight train was going right under the house. Pictures and mirrors on the wall did a dance that morning. No damage that time.

Bob Denman
03-28-2013, 06:56 AM
I remember the news reports from that day. :shocked:
It really is amazing how temporary anything accomplished by Man is...

otter28169
03-28-2013, 07:14 AM
I remember the news reports from that day. :shocked:
It really is amazing how temporary anything accomplished by Man is...

Bob, quit fibbing!!
There is no way you are old enough to remember that!!!
Or is it because you traveled back there from the future?:roflblack:

Just sayin"............

ABQAndy
03-28-2013, 08:36 AM
My wife was there and obviously remembers it well. She remembers seeing their car moving back and forth and thinking that she should get in it and put on the brake. She and her family came through it fine. I moved there in 1967 and there were still a lot of indications left that it had happened.

JkRbbt
03-28-2013, 11:21 AM
I was with the AF stationed in Anchorage during the 10th anniversary. They reran the radio broadcasts. Eerie listening to the events happen. Had many friends that lived thru it all. Some very interesting stories.

Bob Denman
03-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Bob, quit fibbing!! There is no way you are old enough to remember that!!

Sorry, but in fact I WAS around... :opps: Just because I may have to grow old; it don't mean that I've also had to grow UP! ;)