PDA

View Full Version : console wobble

Tx web rider
03-27-2013, 04:23 PM
does anyone know how to tighten up the console on the 2009 rs

mine moves side to side fairly easily while riding the wind screen and the entire console and mirrors wiggle side to side

how is this attached bolts or plastic pins and has anyone come up with a solution's to the wiggles

JJW SpyderRider
03-27-2013, 08:25 PM
I had an '09 GS and don't know why or how the wind screen could move side to side unless you have the Madstad screen and bracket. The mirrors do tend to vibrate and several attempts to solve this issue has been made I'm not sure if a good fix has been found.

The console clips tightly into a hole in the console back plate. The console has a flange around the outside edge that should be flush against the back of the panel. If there is a gap it is not seated correctly. There are two tabs at the bottom and two at the top. There are two small holes in the cover above the console. Pull the safety card out and use a small screw driver to push the two top tabs down to allow the console to tilt out. To re-install, seat the bottom pair first then tilt the console until the top top tab engages. This should hold the console firmly in place.

retread
03-27-2013, 08:48 PM
You're talking about the black piece that supports the windshield and holds the instrument cluster, right? If you are, there are 2 bolts at the back of the console, one on each side, the nuts are inside the console and can be lost easily if the person who removes it isn't careful. Did your dealer have to remove it to do the engine work? To get to the bolts, remove the upper side covers, (4 bolts each) then the front sections on the side if the frunk. The console hooks in the front and bolts in the back.

john

Tx web rider
03-27-2013, 10:30 PM
yes its the black portion that has the gauges and the mirrors are attached and the windscreen is attached it rocks almost 1/2 inch side to side easily with a little pull and push on the windscreen

i do have the mastad with touring windscreen but the entire assembly moves not just the windscreen

NancysToy
03-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Not right! Something is loose or broken.

Tx web rider
03-28-2013, 01:58 PM
tore the spyder down today found an interesting array of issues my Dealer left me :mad:

cross threaded body screws hose clamps not in place missing bolts holding the oil cooler and tank in place allowing loads of movement chafing the wires

but i did locate one of the front 2 bolts holding the bracket the console mounts on to be backed off allowing movement in the console assembly

so i tightened the bolt and re assembled the bike 85% of the head wobble is gone :D

SPYD1
03-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Good job!