PDA

View Full Version : How I wash my Spyder

Questions
03-27-2013, 03:52 PM
After seeing that video from our brother Spyder owner, I felt I had to tell anyone that reads this thread, how I wash my Spyder. I do detailing of cars on the side for the past 8-10 years so the equipment I use I already owned before I bought my 2012 Spyder RT. First, I soap my Spyder down with a "Gilmour sudser". When you put suds on the Spyder (car wash soap can be purchased at any Walmart store, etc.) you will not recognise it as a Spyder. Next I use a soft bristled dust pan brush and wash it down completely. You will be surprised on how many nooks and crannies you can get into besides using a sponge. I admit I do use a power washer but only for my tires & rims. I then rinse the soap and dirt off with a garden hose minus any hose attachments, just floating the suds off. Finally I use a "Air Force Blaster car/bike dryer" and blow the Spyder completely dry. When I'm done the Spyder looks like it just came out of the showroom. This whole cleaning/drying process takes me about a 1/2 hour and any decals, etc. are not damaged......!!

boborgera
03-27-2013, 04:11 PM
On the rare occasions that i do wash my Trike , To dry it i take my shop vac, put the hose on the exhaust port. Not only does that blow air it is also warm/hot air. :thumbup:

napper39
03-27-2013, 04:23 PM
will ive seen many reports that you do not want to put any part of the insterment cluster wet.so do what you want but you may have proublems if you let water get on that part of your spyder.;):chat:

Bob Denman
03-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Gadgetman, Thanks for the step by steps in the process! :thumbup:

bluestratos
03-27-2013, 06:06 PM
I have never put water on my instrument cluster but I have ridden in rain a few times and this weekend I am going in to have the lense replaced on my cluster due an ugly streak running down on the inside. There is supposed to be seal but it does not work I guess.

Woody
03-27-2013, 06:55 PM
What is a Gilmour sudser? Would a leaf blower work as a dryer if you we're careful not to kick up grit and "sandblast" the Spyder?

Oldmanzues
03-27-2013, 06:59 PM
That brush idea seems worth investiging. I do about about the same, except for air dry.
Oldmanzues

Netminder
03-27-2013, 07:08 PM
On the rare occasions that i do wash my Trike , To dry it i take my shop vac, put the hose on the exhaust port. Not only does that blow air it is also warm/hot air. :thumbup:
Just be very careful there is no remnants from your last vacuuming in the hose!:yikes::yikes:

Chupaca
03-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Nice process and I'm sure it does come out clean as a whistle..!! Thanks will try it next time..:thumbup:

shrubs
03-28-2013, 11:40 AM
If I'm in a hurry I rinse it off at my local self serve car wash. The pressure washers are low enough that I'm not worried plus I don't directly spray the instrument cluster. The best part is the spot free rinse as it dries nicely.

Questions
03-28-2013, 06:23 PM
What is a Gilmour sudser? Would a leaf blower work as a dryer if you we're careful not to kick up grit and "sandblast" the Spyder?

It's actually called a Gilmour soap gun and can be purchased through Amazon.com for about $40.00 You put car wash soap in the qt. container and hook a garden hose to it. The amout of "suds" that come out will amaze you. Any kind of blower will work but the "Airforce car/bike blower" is so much easier to use. A small canister sits on the ground and the air comes out this hose making the task so much easier then using a leaf blower..

MarkLawson
03-28-2013, 06:40 PM
will ive seen many reports that you do not want to put any part of the insterment cluster wet.so do what you want but you may have proublems if you let water get on that part of your spyder.;):chat:

I don't know what you've read, but the truth is you don't want to hit your instument clusters (dash & handlebars) with pressurized water, like from a car wash. Getting them wet or riding in the rain should not be a problem.