PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Lithium ferrous phosphate batt for '08

RedHat
03-27-2013, 03:51 PM
My'08 needs a new battery again. Since I can't leave it on a trickle-charger in the carport, I'm looking at replacing it with a Ballistic EV02L. That's an LFP battery that weighs much less and doesn't go flat if I'm not riding and don't charge it.

I'm getting conflicting information, tho. First, my dealer says "get the 12-cell, not the 16-cell." Then I checked the Ballistic website: it says get the 16-cell for '08-'09 Spyder.

Anybody have better info? (My dealer hadn't heard of these until I called about it.)

docdoru
03-27-2013, 06:52 PM
16- http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?34800-16-cell-EVO2-battery-100-013&highlight=lithium+battery :doorag:

RedHat
03-27-2013, 08:10 PM
I checked the thread Doru suggested. Interesting, but doesn't answer my question.

I am getting one of these batteries. Just want to know: If manufacturer recommends 16-cell model and dealer says 12-cell for my '08 ('cause 16-cell is for newer Spyders, well, who's right -- my Spyder Dealer or the battery Manufacturer?

I don't think my Spyder dealer understands what these batteries are.

So, wadda you think -- 12-cell or 16-cell?

docdoru
03-27-2013, 08:24 PM
I checked the thread Doru suggested. Interesting, but doesn't answer my question.

I am getting one of these batteries. Just want to know: If manufacturer recommends 16-cell model and dealer says 12-cell for my '08 ('cause 16-cell is for newer Spyders, well, who's right -- my Spyder Dealer or the battery Manufacturer?

I don't think my Spyder dealer understands what these batteries are.

So, wadda you think -- 12-cell or 16-cell?
I have a 2008 RS SM5, for 1 1/2 years using this battery, 16-cell.

kman
03-30-2013, 05:40 AM
I have a 2008 RS and am still running the original battery.Never been on a trickle charger and has sat in the cold garage for over a month in the winters without starting.Am I just lucky?I am probably going to replace it this spring but knowing me I will probably wait till it doesn't start and I need a jump.

Are the people having problems with battery life running alot of extra accs. putting a constant draw on the battery?I am of the opinion that unless you just happen to get a "bad" battery that there is something else going on like "parasitic drain", and if this is the case it won't matter what battery you get you it will still have a shortened life if that is the case.

Bob Denman
03-30-2013, 11:40 AM
http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/16cell.php Their site suggests the 16 cell model. :thumbup: