PDA

View Full Version : Advantages/Disadvantages of Auto or manual Transmissions?

MuGGzy
03-27-2013, 12:47 PM
I am considering buying an RS-S with the Auto/Paddle shifting system and Reverse but as all my experience to date has been with traditional manual shifting clutch systems I am a little nervous about going to this Auto transmission.

Are there any known issues or problems that pop up with one more often than the other? Anything to watch out for if I test drive one with an Auto?

SpyderFun
03-27-2013, 12:49 PM
.....Anything to watch out for if I test drive one with an Auto?

Yes.....having too much fun! Keep the throttle on while shifting and you will see how easy and smooth it is....

-Mike
<Sent using Tapatalk>

Derek Paisley
03-27-2013, 12:53 PM
The only problem (if you can considerate it a problem) is that there is no clutch.
While moving, you are always in gear.

I have a 2012 RSS SE5 and love it!

JaymeG33
03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
While riding last summer with other fellow GS/RS owners, the automatics seemed to run hotter on the temp gauge than the manuals. We couldn't contribute it to any other factors. There were 3 manuals & 2 autos in our group & both automatics ran much hotter, at least 2 bars higher on the gauge.

spydaman60
03-27-2013, 01:01 PM
it's all a matter of personal preference! I wouldn't be without the sm5!nojoke just love the feeling of dropping it and popping it!:cheers:

Storm56
03-27-2013, 01:09 PM
I am new to Spyders and the forum. I rode both and felt much more comfortable with the manual, of course I have been riding motorcycles over 40 years and do not plan on getting rid of my regular rides just yet. Feel it will be much easier and more natural when switching back and forth between rides. Of course I prefer a manual shuttle over HST on my tractors too, beginning to sense a pattern here...

Storm56
03-27-2013, 01:12 PM
While riding last summer with other fellow GS/RS owners, the automatics seemed to run hotter on the temp gauge than the manuals. We couldn't contribute it to any other factors. There were 3 manuals & 2 autos in our group & both automatics ran much hotter, at least 2 bars higher on the gauge.

Good to read that as I have some concerns over the heat issue, hope it is the case!

ARtraveler
03-27-2013, 01:36 PM
About the only main difference I see is you will save $1,500 or so if you go with a SM5.

I have owned four :spyder2:,s. The first came with the SM5 because that is all that was available. The next three were all SE5's.

Did not miss the manual shifting. I have only had one glitch with the SE5 in 50,000 plus miles. The shift linkage disconnected on my 2010 RT.

The way I drive, (conservative, no burn outs, average 5 mph over posted on highways), I did not notice any performance issues, or mileage issues.

The SE5 is actually fun once you get used to it. Don't miss the SM5 here at all.

daveinva
03-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Learned on a SM5, bought an SE5. Love love love the SE5, it's part of what makes a Spyder a Spyder. :thumbup:

On two wheels, I like having the clutch because there are countless times where it comes in handy to slip the clutch in low-speed maneuvers. On three wheels-- where slow speed maneuvers don't risk dropping the Spyder-- there's no need for that kind of finesse.

And, as a practical matter, the SE5 shifts *faster* than the SM5, and it doesn't hurt performance, i.e. the advantages you'd see on an MT versus AT with a *car* for example aren't there on the Spyder. If the SM5 was faster or sipped less fuel then it'd be a debate, but as the wise man above just said, the only advantage is that it's cheaper on Day One.

For the record, I much prefer having a manual transmission on a car than an auto, am partial to having the manual clutch on a bike (although scooters can be fun), but on the Spyder, the SE5 is just a joy to use, and lets me focus completely on the ride (one less hand to cramp, one less foot to fumble with, etc., etc.).

MidLifeCrisis
03-27-2013, 02:05 PM
SEs cost more to maintain are more complicated and more reports of various failures. Not a high rate of failures anymore, but something to think about.

Slowing down in turns is different. SEs shift quick, so they grab real quick if your trying to simulate gently slowing around corners. That takes a bit of getting used to.

They don't cost as well, if the engine kills either. My kill switch went bad and everything went dead in the middle if a turn through a busy intersection. I pulled in the clutch and rolled through. I know the SEs clutches disengage in certain RPMs too, but I personally prefer having control in emergencies. Can't beet the relaxation of an SE though in traffic.

Jeriatric
03-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Have the SE 5 and am very happy with it(great to tour with). Also ride a two wheeler and have had zero issues transitioning.

It's just another choice you get to make and a buck or two you can spend, or save. In the end you'll be happy with your choice. And that's what counts. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-27-2013, 02:26 PM
The clutches in the SE 5 trannys don't fully lock up until you get them up to about 4000 rpm... If you loaf along with the clutches slipping; you'll burn them. :shocked:
The SM 5 trannys don't have this setup, so it's not an issue with them...

But I sure do love my ESSIE! :D

DynamoBT
03-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Love my SM5!! I feel more involved in the overall action of the machine. Like to drive a stick in a car too. Makes me more "in" the process. Tried the SE5 once at a demo at low speeds and did not like it. Felt the Spyder was "driving me" not me it. I suppose I would get used to it. You just have to try both and see which you like.

daveinva
03-27-2013, 02:36 PM
SEs cost more to maintain

:hun:

The only "extra" cost is ensuring my oil is topped off... :dontknow:

DrewNJ
03-27-2013, 02:37 PM
We've come to find around here that the SM is simpler, and more forgiving to changes such as pipes, air filters and tuners. The SE is more complex, can be finicky with oil level and electronics, and doesn't always play nice with the same setups that work well on the SM machines.
The SE is easier to ride for sure and takes less thought. The SM is more old school.

Personally, I'm a fan of the SM as I grew up on 2 wheels shifting gears. It just feels right to me. My wife would be more comfortable on the SE. But it's really a personal choice. One really isn't significantly better or worse than the other.....;)

BikerDoc
03-27-2013, 02:37 PM
I have owned both the manual & the seemi auto and experienced no difference in run temps

asp125
03-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Not having an SE I can't comment. But what is the failsafe mode if say your throttle gets stuck wide open? Not like there's a clutch to pull in, is there? How do you find neutral instantly before you run into something? If you hit the kill switch does the rear tire instantly lock up?

Jeriatric
03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Not having an SE I can't comment. But what is the failsafe mode if say your throttle gets stuck wide open? Not like there's a clutch to pull in, is there? How do you find neutral instantly before you run into something? If you hit the kill switch does the rear tire instantly lock up?

The engine STOP switch. BRP even suggests it be used to stop the engine before turning the key off. It's a good habit to get into, and may, save your bacon.

asp125
03-27-2013, 03:55 PM
The engine STOP switch. BRP even suggests it be used to stop the engine before turning the key off. It's a good habit to get into, and may, save your bacon.

Good to know. I have that habit from my two wheeled machines.

MidLifeCrisis
03-27-2013, 04:22 PM
:hun:

The only "extra" cost is ensuring my oil is topped off... :dontknow:

I was referring to the filter and additional labor charges at oil changes and any other adjustment or calibration requirements.

Sarge707
03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
I Have both-09SE5 and 2012RT Manual.
I love having both _Keeps my brain busy- Like the downshifting around corners on the manual- Only thing I could do without on the Manual is the Initial start in 1st gear? Would not win a drag race with it.

SE5 is Also great and requires little thought so I can "Day Dream" More- Fast as L through the gears BUT have to change 2 filters.

If somneone GAVE me $1,500 dollars the day I bought the RT I would have got another Auto BUT that being said I,m happy I have the Opportunity to drive Auto one day and Manual the next day!!!!!!!!!:bowdown:

billybovine
03-27-2013, 06:37 PM
The clutches in the SE 5 trannys don't fully lock up until you get them up to about 4000 rpm... If you loaf along with the clutches slipping; you'll burn them. :shocked:
The SM 5 trannys don't have this setup, so it's not an issue with them...

But I sure do love my ESSIE! :D

I hate to be nit picky Bob but the published stall speed on the SE5 centrifugal is 3200 +/-200 rpm. So you can be assured it is not slipping at 3400 rpm and above. But 4000 rpm is important because when you up shift at that rpm it will drop 600 to 3400 rpm and there is no margin left.

NancysToy
03-27-2013, 08:31 PM
I hate to be nit picky Bob but the published stall speed on the SE5 centrifugal is 3200 +/-200 rpm. So you can be assured it is not slipping at 3400 rpm and above. But 4000 rpm is important because when you up shift at that rpm it will drop 600 to 3400 rpm and there is no margin left.

It will drop more than that in some gears, so 4,500 is safer. Although we can nit-pic the stall point and shift points, for most owners it is safest just to round off the numbers to the nearest 500.

daveinva
03-27-2013, 10:14 PM
I was referring to the filter and additional labor charges at oil changes and any other adjustment or calibration requirements.

Oh, that? How much does that cost when compared to draining and replacing the clutch fluid, both done on two year cycles?

We're nit-picking by anecdote here.

MidLifeCrisis
03-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Oh, that? How much does that cost when compared to draining and replacing the clutch fluid, both done on two year cycles?

We're nit-picking by anecdote here.

Not sure. Just posting what the service department told me. Not trying to say mine's better than yours. Just helping the OP decide. If I'm way off base, than I stand corrected. There are others way more experienced and knowledgable than me on this forum who could chime in. There's however no way to deny the SE is more complicated. With complication comes other caveats. That's not to say the SE Isn't an equally good choice and for some the only way they could even ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chupaca
03-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Are you totally confused yet..?? Seems all are happy with what they have. In the end you will have to decide. Good points have been made but in the end I want to control when to shift when I can coast when to slip the clutch. In other words I want yo be in control and if something fails I will know who to blame...just me..:thumbup:

NancysToy
03-27-2013, 10:48 PM
First, let me point out that it is not a difference between an manual transmission and an automatic transmission. It is manual shifting and a manual clutch...or a combination of electronic shifting, a throttle blipper, and an additional centrifugal clutch mechanism to disengage at idle speeds. Same transmission on both models. You are still in control, although the SE will downshift automatically if you do not do it manually. There are more parts and complexity with the semi-auto, but the reliability has been good for either. There are a few additional maintenance parts and a bit more oil in the semi, but those extra costs are quite small. Unlike an automatic transmission, there is no loss of power, mileage, or performance with the SE if the rpm level is kept in the proper range, in fact performance can be somewhat enhanced with the quicker shifts.

The answer is to ride both, keep an open mind, and see what suits you best. Remember to shift at 4,000-4,500 rpm or higher, and hold the throttle steady instead of backing it off as with a manual. It will likely surprise you and please you. A great many long time manual clutch users have been won over by the SE, including our famous Lamonster. Try it, you may like it. The only reason I have not tried one is that with 25 other motorcycles, my poor aged brain just cannot manage to remember one more thing. After 50+ years it knows about clutches, and where the foot lever is, but not about paddle shifters on the handlebars. If your brain is younger or more agile, and you don't switch back and forth, you should learn in short order.

vtspyder
03-28-2013, 05:51 AM

That's interesting. I never could figure out why my wife's se5 would run hotter than my sm5. Even when my machine was bone stock (hers is as well) her se5 would always be 1-2 bars hotter on the gauge.

I think it's a matter of personal preference. If you want to ride and leave your brain at home:hun:, get the se5. Really nice in traffic as well. No sacrifice in sportiness or responsiveness from what I can tell.

mjw930
03-28-2013, 06:54 AM
I am considering buying an RS-S with the Auto/Paddle shifting system and Reverse but as all my experience to date has been with traditional manual shifting clutch systems I am a little nervous about going to this Auto transmission.

Are there any known issues or problems that pop up with one more often than the other? Anything to watch out for if I test drive one with an Auto?

FYI, both Spyders come with reverse, they just engage differently. And as others have pointed out, this is not an automatic transmission, it's an auto/manual with the difference being the electro mechanical control of the clutch and shifter.

If you are a long time rider then you should have no issue with the manual and since you are talking about an RS you don't have the difference between floorboards and pegs like the ST and RT.

Ride them both and see which you prefer. My wife preferred the SE5, it let her focus on the ride and not the shifting since she had limited experience on 2 wheels. I thought I would prefer the SM5 but honestly, I would buy the SE5 if I were to get one for myself. Just like I'm leaning towards a PDK on my next Porsche and I've been a manual transmission bigot for 40 years.

These aren't your fathers automatics :)

daveinva
03-28-2013, 07:17 AM
First, let me point out that it is not a difference between an manual transmission and an automatic transmission. It is manual shifting and a manual clutch...or a combination of electronic shifting, a throttle blipper, and an additional centrifugal clutch mechanism to disengage at idle speeds. Same transmission on both models. You are still in control, although the SE will downshift automatically if you do not do it manually. There are more parts and complexity with the semi-auto, but the reliability has been good for either. There are a few additional maintenance parts and a bit more oil in the semi, but those extra costs are quite small. Unlike an automatic transmission, there is no loss of power, mileage, or performance with the SE if the rpm level is kept in the proper range, in fact performance can be somewhat enhanced with the quicker shifts.

The answer is to ride both, keep an open mind, and see what suits you best. Remember to shift at 4,000-4,500 rpm or higher, and hold the throttle steady instead of backing it off as with a manual. It will likely surprise you and please you. A great many long time manual clutch users have been won over by the SE, including our famous Lamonster. Try it, you may like it. The only reason I have not tried one is that with 25 other motorcycles, my poor aged brain just cannot manage to remember one more thing. After 50+ years it knows about clutches, and where the foot lever is, but not about paddle shifters on the handlebars. If your brain is younger or more agile, and you don't switch back and forth, you should learn in short order.

As always, the smartest man in the room, ladies and gentlemen! :thumbup:

billybovine
03-28-2013, 08:32 AM
It will drop more than that in some gears, so 4,500 is safer. Although we can nit-pic the stall point and shift points, for most owners it is safest just to round off the numbers to the nearest 500.

First I was right about keeping it above 3400 rpm, but I was wrong about the rpm drop on an up shift. Shame on me for not doing the math. Thanks for catching that Scotty.

SpyderFun
03-28-2013, 11:20 AM

One thing that was not mentioned about the RPM level is that, per the RTS Maintenance Manual, the charging system requires the RPM to be at or above 4k to prevent draining the battery. I believe this holds true regardless of model or transmission. So as long as your RPMs are at or above 4k - NO WORRIES!

-Mike
<Sent using Tapatalk>

Jeriatric
03-28-2013, 11:25 AM
One thing that was not mentioned about the RPM level is that, per the RTS Maintenance Manual, the charging system requires the RPM to be at or above 4k to prevent draining the battery. I believe this holds true regardless of model or transmission. So as long as your RPMs are at or above 4k - NO WORRIES!

-Mike
<Sent using Tapatalk>

Have always been a 4K advocate. KISS.....ya know :roflblack:

NancysToy
03-28-2013, 12:01 PM

-Mike
<Sent using Tapatalk>
Your shop manual must be a lot different than mine. Everything I have says only that the magneto output at 4,000 rpm is about half the rated wattage. That is sufficient to charge the battery, unless you have a lot of accessories. The reason they use a magneto (permanent magnet alternator) is that it charges at a lower rpm and is heat resistant.

MuGGzy
03-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks to all the responses, I am really glad this is such an active forum!

I have decided to go with the RS-S SE5, I pick it up tonight and I am pretty jazzed about the impending adventures. It's been a LONG time since I could hit the road on a bike and one of these seem like a great compromise (if you could even consider it such) for someone like myself that has a loving wife that will not get on a 2 wheel bike and strongly discourages me from riding one in general out of concern for my safety.:thumbup:

ARtraveler
03-28-2013, 12:31 PM

I have decided to go with the RS-S SE5, I pick it up tonight and I am pretty jazzed about the impending adventures. It's been a LONG time since I could hit the road on a bike and one of these seem like a great compromise (if you could even consider it such) for someone like myself that has a loving wife that will not get on a 2 wheel bike and strongly discourages me from riding one in general out of concern for my safety.:thumbup:

Post us some pictures of the new :spyder2:. :congrats:

spydaman60
03-28-2013, 08:39 PM

I have decided to go with the RS-S SE5, I pick it up tonight and I am pretty jazzed about the impending adventures. It's been a LONG time since I could hit the road on a bike and one of these seem like a great compromise (if you could even consider it such) for someone like myself that has a loving wife that will not get on a 2 wheel bike and strongly discourages me from riding one in general out of concern for my safety.:thumbup:. my wife would have never gotten on a two wheeler with me. she knows that I have a bad knee and once in a while it buckles out from under me. she rode with me last year every chance she got and logged over 4000 miles on the big orange machine. good luck with your wife and hope she tries it and likes it as much as mine!:2thumbs:

Tazzel
03-29-2013, 03:00 PM

my dealer told me not to use the Kill switch, just the key to turn on and off. In fact I have owned serveral bikes and all advice to not use the Kill switch because they are prone to frying.

Jeriatric
03-29-2013, 03:09 PM
my dealer told me not to use the Kill switch, just the key to turn on and off. In fact I have owned serveral bikes and all advice to not use the Kill switch because they are prone to frying.

Nothing personal towards you. OK!

But your dealer is nuts. It clearly states it be used in the owners manual and why. Have yet to hear of one ever frying. It's just a toggle switch, and it would be covered under warranty anyway.

If you choose not to use it. That's your choice.

Personally I think it's very wise to use it, because in the case of an "emergency' shut down would be as simple as a reflex....instead of the fog of panic.

ABQAndy
03-29-2013, 03:29 PM
I love the SE5, never have to think about whether I am in 1st gear at a stop light, just hit the throttle and go.

MidLifeCrisis
03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
I love the SE5, never have to think about whether I am in 1st gear at a stop light, just hit the throttle and go.

That's definitely one of the advantages. The other is hill starts with a fully loaded machine.

SpyderFun
03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Your shop manual must be a lot different than mine. Everything I have says only that the magneto output at 4,000 rpm is about half the rated wattage. That is sufficient to charge the battery, unless you have a lot of accessories. The reason they use a magneto (permanent magnet alternator) is that it charges at a lower rpm and is heat resistant.

Hey Scotty, with respect, here is my reference:

2010 - 2011
Spyder
Can-Am Roadster
Shop Manual
Spyder RT
(pn: 219 100 536)

Section 05: ELECTRICAL
SubSection 04: CHARGING SYSTEM

INSPECTION
Charging System Output
DC Voltage Output Test
Found on page 460

Step 5: Check Static Voltage. It should be minimum 12.6Vdc
NOTE: TABLE on page 464 "Battery" > "Battery No Load Voltage Test (No Load Applied)" also states a fully charged battery is 12.6 Vdc.
Step 6: Start Engine
Step 7: Load electrical system by turning ON
-Headlights on hi-beam
-Front heated grips to high
Step 8: Read Voltage
TABLE STATES:
-Test Engine Speed 4000 RPM
-Voltage 13.0 - 14 Vdc
NOTE: The "DC Current Output Test", page 460-461, states that the load should be a minimum of 10 A at this time see TABLE on page 461

So, if you are running at 4k rpms you would have a minimum of 0.4Vdc to 1.4 Vdc charge to the battery thus ensuring your battery remains fully charged while riding (no-worries).
This should be a minimum rpm given PMG type chargers are more efficient at a higher rpm thereby generating a stronger magnetic field. This is why BRP has you run the rpm @ at least 4k for test purposes because (IMHO) PMGs suck at providing a strong magnetic field for producing power at lower rpms.

What does your manual say?

SpyderFun
03-29-2013, 09:55 PM
...Personally I think it's very wise to use it, because in the case of an "emergency' shut down would be as simple as a reflex....instead of the fog of panic.

:agree:

Once adrenaline kicks in during an emergency...its all about training and reflexes after that!

NancysToy
03-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Hey Scotty, with respect, here is my reference:

So, if you are running at 4k rpms you would have a minimum of 0.4Vdc to 1.4 Vdc charge to the battery thus ensuring your battery remains fully charged while riding (no-worries).
This should be a minimum rpm given PMG type chargers are more efficient at a higher rpm thereby generating a stronger magnetic field. This is why BRP has you run the rpm @ at least 4k for test purposes because (IMHO) PMGs suck at providing a strong magnetic field for producing power at lower rpms.

What does your manual say?

All it does here is state the voltage provided through the regulator at 4,000 rpm...for test purposes. The voltage itsef does not indicate the state of battery charging, as long as it is more than the battery voltage at that time. The 4K is just a reference point...not a minimum rpm. The Spyder will be putting out sufficient voltage to charge the battery even at idle, as long as the charging warning light is not lit. It will not charge fast at idle, though. To get a decent amount of charging wattage (voltage x amperage) you need to get the rpms up...but not necessarily above 4K, depending on the state of charge of the battery and the battery load.

SpyderFun
03-30-2013, 01:01 PM
All it does here is state the voltage provided through the regulator at 4,000 rpm...for test purposes. The voltage itsef does not indicate the state of battery charging, as long as it is more than the battery voltage at that time. The 4K is just a reference point...not a minimum rpm. The Spyder will be putting out sufficient voltage to charge the battery even at idle, as long as the charging warning light is not lit. It will not charge fast at idle, though. To get a decent amount of charging wattage (voltage x amperage) you need to get the rpms up...but not necessarily above 4K, depending on the state of charge of the battery and the battery load.

What "reference" are you referring to?

I believe BRP chose the 4k rpm to "test" the charging system because anything less would not produce a voltage above the static 12.6 the battery produces thus you would only measure battery voltage and not charge voltage. And with everything turned ON, the battery is in a constant discharge state at idle rpm.

Thoughts?

-Mike
<Sent using Tapatalk>

arntufun
03-30-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm a little late to the party but rest assured the SM by far is much better than the SE and I 'll tell you why .........

With the SM you do not need a parking brake, you just leave it in gear. What happens when you forget to constantly adjust your SE parking brake and your beloved SE Spyder rolls down the hill and crashes into something because it remains in neutral while stopped ????? Thats right, your insurance will total it, insurance rates will rise, you might get sued and you will end up getting a SM anyway. :thumbup:

For one reason or another this was forgotten and ignored "conveniently" by fellow SE owners. :roflblack::joke:

ARtraveler
03-30-2013, 03:02 PM
:agree: with arntu about the SM and the parking brake. (Sorry arntu). The footbrake on the RS was and is a PIA to set, adjust, and keep operating as needed. The parking brake was always being overapplied and resulted in me having to adjust it regularly. No such problem with my SM5. I never used the parking brake and just left it in gear.

SpyderFun
03-30-2013, 03:53 PM
The SE has a push button parking brake that if not engaged will sound an audible alarm with the key turned to OFF. Makes "forgetting to set it" somewhat impossible unless you are deaf. I have not had to adjust the parking brake on my 2010 RTS SE5 since purchase.

-Mike
<Sent using Tapatalk>

ARtraveler
03-30-2013, 03:59 PM
The parking brakes on the RT's are e-brakes. No foot actuated parking brake involved here. Not sure what they did beyond 2009 on the RS's though. My 2008 and 2009 had the foot actuated parking brakes, and the 2009 SE5 had the alarm as mentioned above.

Bob Ledford
03-30-2013, 07:11 PM
First, I never piloted a manual shift Spyder. But I can tell you all about the SE-5 or at least my view point of one.

In a nutshell "I love it" like every thing mechanical there are +\_'s. The electronic shifter works well. It does not miss a shift on the up side and you don't have to wonder where your at in the shift pattern at a red light if you doze off for a second or two. You can still load the engine down but not to the point of stall out. You don't have to worry with lubricating the cable every time you turn around.

You have to put up with the auto down shifting engine reving up unless your shifting manually using the down shift function. If you are slightly spadix like I am you have to use both hands to get reverse to work. But I go forward more then I go backwards so who cares? I don't!

The biggest complaints I have is the semiautomatic clutch is to noisesy IMO and that bugs me some of the time. The high rev shifting points are so much smoother that it is not worth complaining about. You get used to t and enjoy the ride and keep that thumb an index finger moving like the traffic around you is.

NancysToy
03-30-2013, 07:23 PM
..... You don't have to worry with lubricating the cable every time you turn around. .....

Modern motorcycles don't have cable operated clutches anymore. They are hydraulic.

Illinois Boy
03-30-2013, 08:01 PM
The biggest complaints I have is the semiautomatic clutch is to noisesy IMO and that bugs me some of the time. The high rev shifting points are so much smoother that it is not worth complaining about. You get used to t and enjoy the ride and keep that thumb an index finger moving like the traffic around you is.

No offense Bob, but if your Spyder is still "clunking" when shifting... you may still be shifting at too low of RPM's; or simply not smoothly pulling on the paddle while holding the throttle steady (do not accelerate while shifting - just hold it steady).

I rarely ever hear a clunk-sound on mine when shifting. It is very smooth -- but not so if I do it wrong. If you are at Spyderfest, I'll show you...

First gear and reverse, however, always clunk...:sour:

SpyderFun
03-30-2013, 08:05 PM
No offense Bob, but if your Spyder is still "clunking" when shifting... you may still be shifting at too low of RPM's; or simply not smoothly pulling on the paddle while holding the throttle steady (do not accelerate while shifting - just hold it steady).

I rarely ever hear a clunk-sound on mine when shifting. It is very smooth -- but not so if I do it wrong. If you are at Spyderfest, I'll show you...

First gear and reverse, however, always clunk...:sour:

Also check you oil level. Mine started to make more "noise" then usual and it turned out the oil level was low. I serviced it and shifting went back to being quiet.

vtspyder
03-31-2013, 05:46 AM
I'm a little late to the party but rest assured the SM by far is much better than the SE and I 'll tell you why .........

With the SM you do not need a parking brake, you just leave it in gear. What happens when you forget to constantly adjust your SE parking brake and your beloved SE Spyder rolls down the hill and crashes into something because it remains in neutral while stopped ????? Thats right, your insurance will total it, insurance rates will rise, you might get sued and you will end up getting a SM anyway. :thumbup:

For one reason or another this was forgotten and ignored "conveniently" by fellow SE owners. :roflblack::joke:

too funny...but...sorta not. That's the only thing about my wife's SE5 that drives me bonkers. I'm so used to just getting off my SM and leaving it in gear never setting the brake. Every time I move and get off the wife's bike, turn it off there is this ridiculous beeping sound because I didn't set the P brake. :cus::cus::cus:! But, who am I to complain? She loves the thing and we get to spend time together. Small price to pay for a "happy wifey"!:yes:Her and her SE5.......That's just silly!;)

vtspyder
03-31-2013, 05:54 AM
The brakes on the RT's are e-brakes. No foot brake involved here. Not sure what they did beyond 2009 on the RS's though. My 2008 and 2009 had the footbrakes, and the 2009 SE5 had the alarm as mentioned above.

Ahhh, foot brakes! I miss those days.:joke:

Kratos
04-02-2013, 10:28 AM

What's a scenario where this will save you?

NancysToy
04-02-2013, 10:39 AM

Obviously you have never had a machine where the throttle stuck or the clutch disengagement (cable or hydraulic) failed. The idea is to be able to shut off the engine without (dangerously) removing your hands from the handlebars.

Kratos
04-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Obviously you have never had a machine where the throttle stuck or the clutch disengagement (cable or hydraulic) failed. The idea is to be able to shut off the engine without (dangerously) removing your hands from the handlebars.

Lol....is it that obvious? :yikes:

vtspyder
04-02-2013, 10:44 AM

It's a heck of a lot safer and easier than trying to reach over and turning the key off. Every nano second counts when it hits the fan! That button can be spanked in a half a second or less. Lot harder to get to the key if wide open throttle and all :cus:'s breaking loose!;)

Rockwall
04-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Drop and pop x2!