PDA

View Full Version : More aggressive position... drop bars?

MuGGzy
03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
I have seen allot of options for bar risers and road pegs that recline you more, but I have not seen any products or mods that allow you to adopt a more aggressive sitting position, something closer to a cafe/street fighter style position.

Other than comfort considerations, is there a reason for this or is it just a matter of demand and the target demographic for Spyders being more "mature" and desiring a comfortable relaxed riding position?

Has anyone seen a mod/product that does this that can point me to a website or manufacturer?

Thanks in advance for any input and advice.

spydaman60
03-27-2013, 12:34 PM
I have seen allot of options for bar risers and road pegs that recline you more, but I have not seen any products or mods that allow you to adopt a more aggressive sitting position, something closer to a cafe/street fighter style position.

Other than comfort considerations, is there a reason for this or is it just a matter of demand and the target demographic for Spyders being more "mature" and desiring a comfortable relaxed riding position?

Has anyone seen a mod/product that does this that can point me to a website or manufacturer?

Thanks in advance for any input and advice. muggzy, I think it's because the biggest percentage of us on spyders are old :cus:'s! haven't seen anything! can't help ya!60 years old and still dreaming!:cheers:

daveinva
03-27-2013, 12:42 PM

The risers I installed-- the ESI "Easy Risers"-- are rotatable and flippable, i.e. you could easily position them to a lower or more forward spot if you so choose (within the margin of your cable slack, of course).

The one problem with going the "street fighter" route on the Spyder is that you're still stuck with the pronounced "frame hump" right to your front, as well as the front guage fairing, i.e. there's a practical limit to the front ergos on the RS.

donec
03-27-2013, 12:45 PM
It seems to me that there was a mention of puting a different set of handelbars on instead of risers for letting you set more upright. So if you put those handelbars were installed upside down it would lower the handelbars and thus put you in a more leaned over position I would think. Of course there may be clearence limits to consider.

asp125
03-27-2013, 01:08 PM

If you remove the center trim panel on the stock RS bar, you will find a regular set of motorcycle style handlebars on it. If you want to experiment, loosen and mount them upside down or rotate them forward. The only thing is, you probably won't be able to re-use the trim panel.

I would liken the stock RS position to that of any sport touring bike like the FJR or K1200 or ST1300. But that's what the Spyder RS is.. a 3 wheel sport tourer. If you want a racer, by a Gixxer.

As for demographics, older? yes. More mature? Not a chance! :D

MuGGzy
03-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Unless something was specifically designed for the purpose I thought these with a little fiddling would do something like I am looking for and still allow me to "un-adjust" them pretty fast for longer casual road trips...

Bob Denman
03-27-2013, 05:07 PM
I guess that nobody is truly happy with the height of the stockers... 65374

asp125
03-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Srsly? Is that even real? :roflblack:

grumpybob
03-27-2013, 05:35 PM
I guess that nobody is truly happy with the height of the stockers... 65374

I am on the RT, lifted the GS though.

Bob Denman
03-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Srsly? Is that even real? :roflblack:

Yup! It was done by one of our very own... :thumbup:

AMTJIM
03-30-2013, 10:43 PM
The Reaver experiment was a conversion to a cafe/bobtail scrambler. I flipped the stock bars over and cut 2 inches off each end. They were much lower and forward in cafe position, most the body work and everything in the cougar skull was moved/cut down or removed permanently. You are quite limited because of the body work and instrument cluster to any real major change in lowering the bars. You may be able to get a custom bend or find a straight/drag bar bar that works, but the center beauty panel on the bars will probably require permanent removal and the new position of the controls wire harness, throttle cables and hydraulic line may hinder control and operation if all else is left stock. Fully modded it was much more fun than the RSS I have now and great on the curves once car tires were installed. It was a lot of fun on the track as well, but the stock tires were sliding/over steer. Didn't get a chance with the car tires on track alone. They may really be missing a market here, sportbikes loved to see it in action.

MuGGzy
04-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I am currently evaluating if I can get a set of the "riser" adapters to work in the opposite direction.

Then I think I will have to replace the rear passenger pegs with a solid peg so it doesn't just flip up with the lateral pressure of my foot pushing from the front, as opposed to down as they were designed to take.

the trick will be engineering some kind of brake linkage that will allow me to actuate the brake pedal from the rear peg but not interfere with it if I use the normal front peg.

Sounds like it could be fun..

AMTJIM
04-02-2013, 10:53 PM
The hydraulic handbrake mod utilizes the foot brake, you could possibly remove the foot lever all together rather easily.

DrewNJ
04-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Post some pics and maybe start a build thread as you go along. It's very cool to see people thinking outside the box and doing something different! :thumbup:
Doug

Spyder Monkey
04-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Realize that from a handling standpoint, lowering the bars might make the Spyder ride worse.

On a motorcycle that leans in turns, lower bars means your center of gravity moves forward. The rider C of G is closer to "above" the motorcycle C of G meaning that you get better "leverage" when you shift your weight to initiate or terminate a turn.

The Spyder does not lean. All your turning force has to be done by twisting the bars around a pivot point in a plane roughly parallel with the ground. If you move your C of G more "above" this plane and less in the same plane as handle bar motion, it will be harder to twist the bars.

Or in simpler terms think of it this way:

If you want to break free a stiff nut (apply a twisting force through a lever), is it easier when your body weight is in line with the twisting motion or not.

Might look cooler, be more comfortable and it might work fine but it will definitely require more effort to steer. Which is the opposite effect when you drop bars on a motorcycle.