PDA

View Full Version : Let's create a Spyderfest Northeast!

bhfromme
03-25-2013, 10:23 AM
A second Spyderfest located somewhere in the Northeast sometime in August seems to make a lot of sense. Missouri gang I'm not meaning to steal your thunder in any way. In fact we would need your help creating it and getting your members to ryde up and see our part of the world! I think it's a great idea but it would need to be a group effort. Thoughts?

Wiredux
03-25-2013, 11:25 AM
That is what the thought of the Spyder Infestation would be. Not the same location every year. It would move up and down the East.

otter28169
03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
There is a group of members of the NY Spyder Ryders, myself included, whom are working on that very thing as we speak.

Just sayin'............

fyrertuck
03-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Hello Folks

I know I am not the first one to say this, but why not add this to Americade week. They now go Saturday to Saturday. There is a fair grounds 20 min out of town in Warren that is flat and would be great.

Plus with using Americade week you have the venders there and so on.

otter28169
03-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Hello Folks

I know I am not the first one to say this, but why not add this to Americade week. They now go Saturday to Saturday. There is a fair grounds 20 min out of town in Warren that is flat and would be great.

Plus with using Americade week you have the venders there and so on.

That was one of the things we looked into when we were discussing it. Americade is such a large event, we were worried that it would be hard for spyder owners to get a hotel room in the area. We came to the conclusion that we did want to have it at Lake George, but we are kicking around the idea of having it the same weekend as Balloon fest (in September). Things are still very raw and we really are looking to see what kind of interest there will be and of course looking at all the different ways to set it up. Any input will be appreciated.

Chad

ARtraveler
03-25-2013, 02:47 PM
:bbq::bbq::bbq:

Bob Denman
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
You won't be able to touch the Lake George region during Americade; the rooms are pretty much taken all the way south in Glens Falls...:shocked:
August is a nice time of year; the bugs are getting lazy from the heat and aren't quite as ugly as usual... :yikes:
The Deerlies and mosquitoes in the Adirondacks CAN be an issue...
There's a store in Keene Valley; "The Mountaineer" They sell yuppified camping gear at prices that'd scare you blind...
I went in there one Fall just to upset my stomach a bit, and noticed a display of Ben's 100 PURE DEET bug spray :thumbup:
Now you've got to remember; this is New York, and anything over 37% DEET is forbidden... :lecturef_smilie:
As I'm grabbing every bottle that I could, I quizzed the owner about this small issue.
His answer:
"I lived in Alaska for ten years, and the bugs here are worse than they are up there!"
I bought eight bottles of it!
So much for bugs; back to Spyders! :2thumbs:
How about the Finger Lakes' region? wine tasting, rides around the lakes, more wine tasting, ;) lots of nice scenery around the lakes and the wine tasting places... Country roads with rolling hills; all leading to scenery and wine tasting places... :roflblack:

johnwinslow
03-25-2013, 03:05 PM
http://www.killingtonclassic.com/contact plus north Conway in the fall is terrific, just my 2 cents

bhfromme
03-25-2013, 03:21 PM
http://www.killingtonclassic.com/contact plus north Conway in the fall is terrific, just my 2 cents North Conway in the fall is beautiful but the traffic? Well that's less than beautiful.

And as much as I would like to have it in northern New England we have to think about making it easy for people to get to. Someplace in NY would probably work better in terms of getting two or three hundred Spyders to make the trip.

But like you John, that's just my two cents.

Bill

Bob Denman
03-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Perhaps the Pocono Mountain region of Pennsylvania wouldn't be out of the question...
They've got lots of hotels and nice riding opportunities... :thumbup:

kentuckyguy
03-25-2013, 08:49 PM
A second Spyderfest located somewhere in the Northeast sometime in August seems to make a lot of sense. Missouri gang I'm not meaning to steal your thunder in any way. In fact we would need your help creating it and getting your members to ryde up and see our part of the world! I think it's a great idea but it would need to be a group effort. Thoughts?

Northeast??? Info says your form Cape Coral, Fl??? lol Maybe southeast??? lol

Highwayman2013
03-26-2013, 04:24 AM
Poconos or how about Watkins Glen or Lake Placid?

ThreeWheels
03-26-2013, 05:06 AM
Spyders In The Adirondacks was the perfect venue, but they dropped the ball this year.
If someone else takes up the torch, I'm in.

Yelhelp
03-26-2013, 05:23 AM
I would love to go just about any place in New York/ Pa . We have an event in the summer called the speidie fest/Ballon rally. It drawes lots of folks. As for this region of New York we are 20 min from Pa (lots of Hills and wining roads) and 45 Min to an Hour from Ithica and some of the finger lakes best wine tasting. But riding along the New York Pa border you will find lots of differant rides. Some great roads to Walton or down towards Liberty. So anyway just another two cents .
Bill :clap::clap:

Storm56
03-26-2013, 05:54 AM
I read something a few days two ago about a get together in New Holland PA, did not get the impression they were talking about a full blown Spyderfest deal. The Amish country has some interesting things to see and some excellent eateries.

Does anyone recall seeing that post?

rc51ny
03-26-2013, 07:05 AM
I use to go to Americade every year--but then--it got too big (for me), too crowded, and the weather in the mountains that time of year can be very "ify". Early fall would be cool. I also own a home in the finger lakes and I know how beautiful it can be in the fall. Watkins Glen, Ithaca, Cortland, Binghamton, Canandaigua, all nice areas with hotel accommodations available. Also, a day's ride into northern PA. If the timing is right-I'm "IN"!

otter28169
03-26-2013, 07:27 AM
I appreciate all of the input:thumbup:nojoke.

Binghamton is a very "central location. You are not far from the Catskills, The Endless Mountains Region of PA, the Finger Lakes, and Syracuse. What do you guys think of having an event in a small town, located close to a larger one? The Marathon/Cortland area off of I-81 might be a good area. What I was thinking is, if you go to a large area, with a large event already in place you are going to have issues with traffic, and hotel rooms, and crowded restaurants. If we plan something that is not centered around an existing event there will be fewer "crowd control" issues. Cortland has Plenty of hotel rooms, all the ammenities a big city would have and they even have Greek Peak within 10 mins. During the summer their ski mountain facility doesn't get much use which means lots of space to get together. The best part is, they have just built a resort and water park right acrossed the road. There are several camp grounds in the area, great roads, it is easily accessible from the interstate, 30 mins from Binghamton and Syracuse, and 45 mins from the Gorges of Ithaca and the Finger Lakes. There is also a Can Am dealership in Cortland that I am sure would love to be involved. What do you guys think?:dontknow:

Bob Denman
03-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Cortland IS a real nice area... :thumbup:

Buttsy
03-26-2013, 07:45 AM
6 hours for me................if the dates work out I would for sure be interested.

otter28169
03-26-2013, 08:01 AM
I think I am gonna try to set something up. I will start making some calls today to see about venues, and dates.

Buttsy
03-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Just from my own perspective I would enjoy the opportunity to just get together and ride with some fellow Spyder owners. Maybe for the first year keep it simple and see what kind of a turn out you get? Hotels, Food and Awesome Rides? Vendor Village and everything is nice but it adds a lot of complexity to it and maybe its just a little early for it at this point in its evolution?

Hope it comes together and the dates work out! Road Trip................:yes: :yes: :yes:

otter28169
03-26-2013, 08:47 AM
I was also just thinking about putting on a Pulled pork BBQ near my house at the local fire station. It would be a small thing, and I am about 35 mins from Cortland on the back roads. That would be just a ride in and have some BBQ, and an interesting road map, kinda thing. The only thing I am worried is that I live out in the country and there is nothing within 10 miles. I was kickin around this idea because I have some experience putting on pulled pork BBQs for my church. With five volunteers, 1 day of prep, and a day for the BBQ I can easily feed 150 people. I have been putting out other ideas as the nearest hotel is 11 miles away and there are only two of them in the town of Norwich (near where I live). All I have out here is a firehouse kitchen, and a lot of countryside. My town is so small we don't even have a 4 way stop sign. We have a church and a bar and that is it.

Spyder Wraps Pete
03-26-2013, 09:06 AM
We have a HUGE motorcycle event here in Erie, PA every summer it's called ROAR ON THE SH0RE (http://roarontheshore.com/) (read here) people come from all around the us and Canada.
It's near the end of July 18,19,20 I know they have a lot of things to do.

pete@powersportsrwraps.com

Bob Denman
03-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Maybe for the first year keep it simple and see what kind of a turn out you get? Hotels, Food and Awesome Rides? Vendor Village and everything is nice but it adds a lot of complexity to it and maybe its just a little early for it at this point in its evolution.

:agree: Start at a comfortable level and size; and grow it as experience is gained! :thumbup:

meathead1978
03-26-2013, 02:19 PM
There is a group of members of the NY Spyder Ryders, myself included, whom are working on that very thing as we speak.

Just sayin'............

hey im from nj i jsut purchased a 2012 rt limited id help out with anything i ca do to hahve a spyder fest around the northe east

when and where are you planning to have one what can i do?

x-winger
03-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Cortland sounds like a good possibility. Finger lakes or Lake Placid also are appealing. NY is a beautiful state. My wife and I would be interested in almost anyplace in NY. We go to Americade every year and always enjoy the rally. My wife is now the primary rider of our Spyder and she is anxious to meet and kick tires with other Spyder riders. If she rides the Spyder, will I be allowed to show up on my Harley Tri Glide?;)

Ed

Littlebadwolf
03-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Check out the camping park in Lyonsdale, NY on the Moose river...They've hosted music festivals, Blues, Rock, Etc in a primative setting right on the river...Can do white water, great country roads thru the adirondacks, bands food, bonfires in a remote country setting.

Highwayman2013
03-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Yes Cortland sounds good I haven't seen that part of NY.

crossbowme
03-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Go to Laconia. They're used to motorcycles.

http://www.laconiamcweek.com/

otter28169
03-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Go to Laconia. They're used to motorcycles.

http://www.laconiamcweek.com/

Laconia is a great event, but a little hardcore though, and not meant for spyders

rhansen309
03-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Check out the camping park in Lyonsdale, NY on the Moose river...They've hosted music festivals, Blues, Rock, Etc in a primative setting right on the river...Can do white water, great country roads thru the adirondacks, bands food, bonfires in a remote country setting.

Hi Larry,
Where are you now. How is the move going??

kevorama
03-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Otter, I know you mean well, but SpyderFest is a Trademark and you might want to talk to Len about it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arntufun
03-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Otter, I know you mean well, but SpyderFest is a Trademark and you might want to talk to Len about it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So who owns the name,,,,,,,,,Len and the Mogang, Spyderfest Magog in Canada, or the Spyderfest in Austria ???????

Don't worry, it will be a different name, I'm just bustin your chops.............. SPYDERQUEST sounds nice !!!!!!

spydaman60
03-26-2013, 07:42 PM
So who owns the name,,,,,,,,,Len and the Mogang, Spyderfest Magog in Canada, or the Spyderfest in Austria ???????

Don't worry, it will be a different name, I'm just bustin your chops.............. SPYDERQUEST sounds nice !!!!!!spyderquest sounds real good to me!:firstplace:

kevorama
03-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Don't worry, it will be a different name, I'm just bustin your chops.............. SPYDERQUEST sounds nice !!!!!!

I don't know exactly what is Trademarked. It might be SpyderFest U.S. and it's always good to get my chops busted ")
My wife and I would love to come up that way and tour the NE coast. We've talked about it since we've had the Spyder. I'll want a toy hauler that will hold the bike and trailer, so it'll have to wait until I have those.
Good luck with your North East event :thumbup:

ARtraveler
03-26-2013, 08:33 PM
RE: Trademarks: Ownership of a trademark is established by registering a trademark or a trade name with the government's Patent Office.

The question here is: did one of the groups do the paperwork and do they hold the "official" trademark "Spyderfest".

Use of the name does not constitute an official trademark.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Chupaca
03-26-2013, 09:34 PM
You all are taking too long...!!:popcorn::popcorn: :coffee:

Spyderjockey
03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
and lots to see and do. There are many side roads and some really great rides around all of the lakes. Also there are lots and lots of great eateries in many little towns around the Finger Lakes and surrounding areas.

kevorama
03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
This will be my final post on Trademark infringement, and I ask that you all do the same. I have nothing to do with the legal part of SpyderFest. I never should have responded to this post. My apologies. We are all looking forward to this event and making it the most awesome, Spyder gathering in the world. Please remember that we all volunteer our services and skills, and take vacation time to help put this on. None of us are paid in any way, shape or form. My specialty is in art work, Illustrator, computers and pyrotechnics. If you liked last year's fireworks, I'm happy. If you don't like the two fireworks events at this year's SF, you know who to complain to.

I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can this year.
Drive safe.

Kevin

Littlebadwolf
03-27-2013, 05:05 AM
Hi Larry,
Where are you now. How is the move going??
Hiya...The move is gonna be a lot of work <Laughing>...The double by pass I had last week slowed us down for a bit but we'll get there eventually. The house sold and appraisal is done...Looks like we're closing on the 30th of April which gives us a little time to get everything in order. My big regret is missing Spyderfest again...Doc says I need to take it easy for a while but Maggie Valley & Lamonts BBQ is still on. We'll be looking around SE TN while we're there..Looking to settle in the Bristol, Johnson City, Greeneville area. It's all gonna be determined by where Cindi can find a job in the Medical Technician area. We'll be renting a house a street over from where we are now which makes it a lot easier, storing all our stuff in pods. We'll definitely be out of here by the end of July/August...It's all gonna work out well...Thanks for asking...Hopefully we'll be able to ride with you guys once or twice before the move.

otter28169
03-27-2013, 06:42 AM
This will be my final post on Trademark infringement, and I ask that you all do the same. I have nothing to do with the legal part of SpyderFest. I never should have responded to this post. My apologies. We are all looking forward to this event and making it the most awesome, Spyder gathering in the world. Please remember that we all volunteer our services and skills, and take vacation time to help put this on. None of us are paid in any way, shape or form. My specialty is in art work, Illustrator, computers and pyrotechnics. If you liked last year's fireworks, I'm happy. If you don't like the two fireworks events at this year's SF, you know who to complain to.

I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can this year.
Drive safe.

Kevin

Kevin,
I am glad you spoke up. The ideas we have been tossing around are being called spyderfest ideas, beccause we hope to build something that brings as much join and anticipation as the "Spyderfest" put on by the Mo Gang. I appreciate the input as I am trying not to step on anyone's toes, which is hard cause I kinda have big feet. I definitely don't want any of my fellow spyderlovers to be upset. This little get together I am thinkin about in my area is supposed to be a "prep gig" for me. I love to have big parties, and thought it would be a good way to meet some ryders, and prep for a bigger gig (Spyder Quest: The Infestation?) in September. I am looking for info and exploring options, and I will take all I can get. Thanks again Kevin nojoke

Regards,
Chad

Bob Denman
03-27-2013, 07:14 AM
:shocked: Ummm... "Spyder-Get-Together-Thingie"?
"Trypod Entanglement"?
"BuRP & Turf"?
;)

Spyder Smyles
03-27-2013, 07:14 AM
I read something a few days two ago about a get together in New Holland PA, did not get the impression they were talking about a full blown Spyderfest deal. The Amish country has some interesting things to see and some excellent eateries.

Does anyone recall seeing that post?

http://www.midatlanticspyder.com (http://www.midatlanticspyder.com/)
2013 Spring Mid-Atlantic Spyder Ryde and Scooter Rally 17 – 19 May
Back again and evolving, The 2013 Spring Mid Atlantic Rally (MASR) joined by the 2013 Mid Atlantic Spyder Ryde will be held on May 17, 18 and 19th. 2013. This Spring's rally headquarters will be at the Country Squire Motel, 504 East Main Street, New Holland, PA 17557. Our Meet n' Greet will commence at 4:30pm, so please drive through and say hello, even if you're not spending the night. For those lodging at the Squire, Please let them know you're with the Mid-Atlantic Scooter Rally and Spyder Ryde. :dg2:

kevorama
03-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Keep me in the loop, Otter. We'd love to join you if possible.

SpydermanCT
03-27-2013, 07:40 PM
http://www.midatlanticspyder.com (http://www.midatlanticspyder.com/)
2013 Spring Mid-Atlantic Spyder Ryde and Scooter Rally 17 – 19 May
Back again and evolving, The 2013 Spring Mid Atlantic Rally (MASR) joined by the 2013 Mid Atlantic Spyder Ryde will be held on May 17, 18 and 19th. 2013. This Spring's rally headquarters will be at the Country Squire Motel, 504 East Main Street, New Holland, PA 17557. Our Meet n' Greet will commence at 4:30pm, so please drive through and say hello, even if you're not spending the night. For those lodging at the Squire, Please let them know you're with the Mid-Atlantic Scooter Rally and Spyder Ryde. :dg2:

ThreeWheels and I signed up a few weeks ago and will be coming from Connecticut on Friday. I'd love to meet up with more Spyderlovers along the way for a weekend of new friends and riding. It looks like beautiful country an I'm really looking forward to starting the year off with a great ride.

harrypottar
03-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Laconia is a great event, but a little hardcore though, and not meant for spyders

Laconia is very friendly, I go each year, went last year with my 13year old son on the Spyder. :thumbup:

Its full of parting teenagers though on the Saturday, but still worth a ride up there.

This will be the first year in I don't how long I will not be going. It's the same week as Maggie Valley

harry

joet82
03-27-2013, 09:05 PM
not to be a negative nancy, but I think part of the success of SpyderFest is cause it's in MO...as close to the center of the US without going into the dreaded Kansas. lol making it the perfect distance from everywhere except Hawaii and Alaska. it's also why Spyders in the Redwoods was created almost 3 years ago. cause there wasn't an event on the west coast and for most people out this way, it's a pain getting to the east side cause of money, time off work, etc. not saying I wouldn't go, but it's just a pain. I'm sure the feeling can be returned about Spyders in the Redwoods for you guys on the east coast.

harrypottar
03-27-2013, 09:10 PM
not to be a negative nancy, but I think part of the success of SpyderFest is cause it's in MO...as close to the center of the US without going into the dreaded Kansas. lol making it the perfect distance from everywhere except Hawaii and Alaska. it's also why Spyders in the Redwoods was created almost 3 years ago. cause there wasn't an event on the west coast and for most people out this way, it's a pain getting to the east side cause of money, time off work, etc. not saying I wouldn't go, but it's just a pain. I'm sure the feeling can be returned about Spyders in the Redwoods for you guys on the east coast.

:agree:, I think there is room for 3 or more, West, central and East, we can even do north and south as well.

I would love to do SITR but I would never get the time off, if I took that much time off my wife will want to go some where not involving the Spyder :roflblack:.

I think the idea here is to fill a void left by SITA... I'm game..

harry

x-winger
04-03-2013, 09:42 AM
I haven't seen any recent posts on this. Is anything happening to plan a Spyder rally in the New York area this year? If so, please provide current status.

Thanks,
Ed

rhansen309
04-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Hiya...The move is gonna be a lot of work <Laughing>...The double by pass I had last week slowed us down for a bit but we'll get there eventually. The house sold and appraisal is done...Looks like we're closing on the 30th of April which gives us a little time to get everything in order. My big regret is missing Spyderfest again...Doc says I need to take it easy for a while but Maggie Valley & Lamonts BBQ is still on. We'll be looking around SE TN while we're there..Looking to settle in the Bristol, Johnson City, Greeneville area. It's all gonna be determined by where Cindi can find a job in the Medical Technician area. We'll be renting a house a street over from where we are now which makes it a lot easier, storing all our stuff in pods. We'll definitely be out of here by the end of July/August...It's all gonna work out well...Thanks for asking...Hopefully we'll be able to ride with you guys once or twice before the move.

So sorry to hear about the by pass. I am glad you are doing better. We are looking forward to a great riding season. Let us know if you need any help with anything.

spydaman60
04-03-2013, 06:40 PM
I haven't seen any recent posts on this. Is anything happening to plan a Spyder rally in the New York area this year? If so, please provide current status.

Thanks,
Eda meeting of the minds was held about ten days ago in ny. waiting to hear what the preliminary thoughts are. i'm sure they will post soon!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: