PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to be redundant but....lifting Spyder RT-S on Harbor Freight lift.....

Elembytes
03-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Just jacked up my RT-S today for first time using the new Harbor Freight Motorcycle/ATV lift. I tried to lift it according to pictures I have seen posted on SL--I was able to lift the wheels off the floor so I could add my RIDE-ON TPS. However, I noticed the Spyder rocked forwards to backwards on the lift and wasn't as stable as I thought it would be. A little worried if I ever want to go higher to get jack stands under it. Am I NOT putting the Lift in the right spot? Did I go too far forwards?

Any insight would be helpful, for the future. Right now I am happy as I was able to get my RIDE-ON TPS installed and ready to ride for SpyderFest. However we are getting SNOW again!

Thank you!

:sour:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-23-2013, 06:45 PM

bzbaeren
03-23-2013, 07:31 PM
You really need for safety to add jack stands to the lift for the 3 point support, scares me to think of you working without them.

Netminder
03-23-2013, 08:13 PM
As Mike said the ratchet straps are a must to keep it stable on the jack.:thumbup:

bertmc
03-23-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm sure someone will post a picture; I don't have one. I do have the controversial HF lift and have used it successfully. I put it as far to the rear of the frame as it will go, I think, with the rear pad just about under the driver foot rests. Get your head down there and take a look. I don't use straps and it is steady enough to get up pretty high, but I get those jack stands under it before I get under it. When it is down low it is steady enough to turn completely around in the garage.

bertmc
03-23-2013, 11:50 PM
And have a glass of my favorite, Louisburg Cider, when you're done!!

bmwlarry
03-24-2013, 10:08 AM
When I tried it the first time it tended to tip back. I realized that I had two Reda cans on gas in the side case and "stuff" in the rear. After removing that stuff, it balanced great. I do, however, add jack stands to front and use a single lift under the rear wheel for stabitity.

ABQAndy
03-24-2013, 10:39 AM
When I tried it the first time it tended to tip back. I realized that I had two Reda cans on gas in the side case and "stuff" in the rear. After removing that stuff, it balanced great. I do, however, add jack stands to front and use a single lift under the rear wheel for stabitity.
That's how I do it too, the only difference is that I don't have a single lift for the rear wheel so I use a wood block under the rear. So far I have been satisfied with the lift, especially considering the cost (used a coupon and got it for $60).