PDA

View Full Version : IS IT POSSIBLE TO DYNO TUNE THE RSS SE5

kleeg1st
03-23-2013, 08:47 AM
I have modified my 2012 Syder RSS SE5 with a Green Performance Intake Filter, 2 Bro's Dual Exhaust and Power Commander V. I installed the map for the specified mods from the Power Commander website but feel like the spyder needs some fine tuning due to lack of gas milage and decline in performance. Is it possibe to have the spyder dyne tuned despite the VSS??

Thanks in advance and safe riding

Bob Denman
03-23-2013, 10:52 AM
(2nd post; different thread with the same question... check your other post for answers!)

vtspyder
03-23-2013, 10:53 AM
I have modified my 2012 Syder RSS SE5 with a Green Performance Intake Filter, 2 Bro's Dual Exhaust and Power Commander V. I installed the map for the specified mods from the Power Commander website but feel like the spyder needs some fine tuning due to lack of gas milage and decline in performance. Is it possibe to have the spyder dyne tuned despite the VSS??

Thanks in advance and safe riding

I do believe that some members on here did get their machines dyno tuned. Where? I have no idea. Hopefully they chime in. I recall someone contacting me quite a while ago saying that they weren't happy with the tune done on the dyno. It is my understanding that it doesn't simulate "real world" situations. Whatever that means or whether it's actually true.:dontknow: I do know that the minute you mess with the air box/filter everything changes. Fuel economy is dependent on how hard and often you push the machine as well as the AFR determined by the map settings in that particular rpm range you spend most of your time. I've found that too rich of a mixture will kill mpg's and decrease power just the same as too lean of a mixture will limit power and cause popping or backfiring on deceleration. Extremely lean is potentially damaging to the engine. Just some thoughts for you when looking at your map. The "closed loop area" is particularly troublesome on the Spyder. 1500-3500 rpm. Shouldn't really be spending a whole lotta time there anyways unless riding in traffic a lot (stop&go).

kleeg1st
03-23-2013, 11:03 AM
I do believe that some members on here did get their machines dyno tuned. Where? I have no idea. Hopefully they chime in. I recall someone contacting me quite a while ago saying that they weren't happy with the tune done on the dyno. It is my understanding that it doesn't simulate "real world" situations. Whatever that means or whether it's actually true.:dontknow: I do know that the minute you mess with the air box/filter everything changes. Fuel economy is dependent on how hard and often you push the machine as well as the AFR determined by the map settings in that particular rpm range you spend most of your time. I've found that too rich of a mixture will kill mpg's and decrease power just the same as too lean of a mixture will limit power and cause popping or backfiring on deceleration. Extremely lean is potentially damaging to the engine. Just some thoughts for you when looking at your map. The "closed loop area" is particularly troublesome on the Spyder. 1500-3500 rpm. Shouldn't really be spending a whole lotta time there anyways unless riding in traffic a lot (stop&go).

Do you think I would be good with replacing the air box/ filter with the original? I have 2 bro's duals also. I noticed on Power Commander's site, there is a map for 2 bro's duals and factory air box filter.

vtspyder
03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Do you think I would be good with replacing the air box/ filter with the original? I have 2 bro's duals also. I noticed on Power Commander's site, there is a map for 2 bro's duals and factory air box filter.

Do you know how to alter your maps (AFR Table) in the software? Did it come with software to do so? I can walk you thru how to do it if it's similar to a Juice Box Pro. I would download "How to adjust AFR table" from the bottom of this page:
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Downloads/powercommander_downloads.aspx?ProdType=PCV

My gut tells me the green filter is what's causing the issue as it's fact that a high flow filter will tip the scales into the "lean condition" and the factory map was not designed to run that mod. I'm also assuming you don't have "autotune" with the PCV.

Send me a private message with more specifics w/what the bike is doing and I will try to help you build a map. Most likely you just need some tweaking in some specific areas of the throttle position and rpm range.

vtspyder
03-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Sorry, I meant to add that the map you are referring to IS the map (2 bro's duals and factory air box filter) you should be running and building off of. Yes, you should download that map, send it to the PCV and go from there. It is most likely still going to be too lean but is a good starting point.

Kratos
04-02-2013, 10:23 AM
I would not dyno tune a spyder. Too many variables and too many nannies. Nothing right now beats the autotune from powercommander, it will nail your bike perfectly without your input. I literally have to wait till I'm at 25-30mph before I can nail full throttle without leaving my rubber on the road.

wilfredopr
04-02-2013, 04:59 PM
I read somewhere that in order to dyno the spyder you need to disconnect the ABS sensors on the wheels, one on each fronts and two on the rear tire. Let me know if it works.