PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cutting Out Driving Down the Road

jimcrom
03-22-2013, 09:48 PM
So I am traveling down the highway doing 70 mph with no problems for over 40 minutes when all of a sudden the engine just cut out and died. I pulled off on the shoulder and coasted down to about 35 mph and let out the clutch, the bike started back up and I continued down the road. There were no codes showing up, there was no noise or anything other than it shutting off. I had filled up at the usual spot, there was no change in the spark plugs or any other mechanical parts. This happened one other time about one month ago in the same kind of circumstances. I called the dealer and asked if they knew what the problem might be. (I know it is hard to diagnose for 140 miles away)
Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions. The spyder has 37,000 miles, the battery had been changed three months ago, all the recalls had been done. The engine has been running smooth. I was able to turn around and drive home with no incidents.

Huntindawg1962
03-22-2013, 09:56 PM
ok - I can fess up - not sure if this was your issue but with my gloves on I was ever so slightly depressing the engine cut-off one time and got a similar result. Much more careful now :)

effgjamis
03-22-2013, 10:02 PM
So I am traveling down the highway doing 70 mph with no problems for over 40 minutes when all of a sudden the engine just cut out and died. I pulled off on the shoulder and coasted down to about 35 mph and let out the clutch, the bike started back up and I continued down the road. There were no codes showing up, there was no noise or anything other than it shutting off. I had filled up at the usual spot, there was no change in the spark plugs or any other mechanical parts. This happened one other time about one month ago in the same kind of circumstances. I called the dealer and asked if they knew what the problem might be. (I know it is hard to diagnose for 140 miles away)
Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions. The spyder has 37,000 miles, the battery had been changed three months ago, all the recalls had been done. The engine has been running smooth. I was able to turn around and drive home with no incidents.

Hey Jim..... tire pressure, or CA GAS..... :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Jeriatric
03-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Has your fuel filter been changed?

:agree:

Replace every 30 000 km (19,000 mi) or 5 years (whichever comes first)

jimcrom
03-22-2013, 11:08 PM
No. But I would have thought if there was a problem, it would have been running rough or cutting out. It was just purring down the road.

Has your fuel filter been changed?

jimcrom
03-22-2013, 11:15 PM
I am pretty sure that I didn't mess with the controls because I had a small pair of gloves on and there was no real movement of my hands on the handle bars. That was one of the first things I thought of. I am thinking it is more mechanical than me.

ok - I can fess up - not sure if this was your issue but with my gloves on I was ever so slightly depressing the engine cut-off one time and got a similar result. Much more careful now :)

jimcrom
03-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Hey Forrest, I hope it is just gas. How are you doing my friend? Will you be going to the Spyders in the Redwoods this year?

Hey Jim..... tire pressure, or CA GAS..... :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: