PDA

View Full Version : helmets

johnwinslow
03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
If anyone can recommend a good helmet for some one with an oval head , longer front to back, narrow side to side?

wyliec
03-22-2013, 08:21 PM
If BajaRon doesn't see this, you may want to PM him. I know he's very knowledgeable in helmets and he does or did sell certain brands.

You can check out the names of the brands he sells here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets

mjw930
03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Here's a great write up: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

NancysToy
03-22-2013, 09:04 PM
There are a variety of oval shapes. My head is more oval than the majority of helmets, but it is only considered to be an intermediate oval by Arai standards. They also make ovals that are longer (long oval) or rounder (round oval) I highly recommend the Arai line if you need a special shape to fit your noggin. Fitting them is a bit of a science, though. Best to get a trained fitter to do it the first time, at an Arai dealer, distributor, or a major motorcycle show.

pro10is
03-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Arai Signet-Q. Best helmet you could get for long oval. Don't settle for less. For normal oval go with Arai RX-Q.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RevZillaTV?v=qpVGs_K3PKE&feature=pyv&ad=2429121750 8&kw=arai%20signet%20q%20helmet

BajaRon
03-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Arai Signet-Q. Best helmet you could get for long oval. Don't settle for less. For normal oval go with Arai RX-Q.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RevZillaTV?v=qpVGs_K3PKE&feature=pyv&ad=2429121750 8&kw=arai%20signet%20q%20helmet

I carry the Arai line of helmets at a very good price. For Long Oval heads (Football shape) the Signet-Q is a very good helmet. I also have a few of the previous Long Oval version Arai Profile helmets left at closeout pricing.

Bob Denman
03-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Besides all of the shape options: Arai is a REAL good helmet! :2thumbs:

LLSailor
03-23-2013, 08:24 AM
I went with the Nolan 104 for my head.

bmwlarry
03-23-2013, 09:58 AM
I use Shoei and have been told that is the head shape they "lean" toward.

muleman1
03-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Not endorsing one vendor over another, but Revzilla website (www.revzilla.com (http://www.revzilla.com)) has videos on almost all brands of helmets and specifically talks about the shape and fit of each.

OJ UK
03-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Now I know folk who can't wear various brands of helmet.
So it's always best to try one on before you decide which to buy.
Strangely I can't wear an Arai helmet (as much as love them!) as I always get
slight pressure on my temples which after an a few minutes is turning into a headache!
I can't wear a Bell as I get a similar thing happen across my forehead!
Helmets are expensive and probably the most important accessory you'll buy so it
pays dividends to spend your money on one that's right for you. Just my opinion....

kawakii
03-23-2013, 03:05 PM
We love our Shark helmets, great for a round or oval head that needs a little more room. Great deals on Revzilla. We own a RSR2, Evoline 3, & a Speed R

Chupaca
03-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Not that my head is perfectly round....I have always gone to the large bike dealer to find out. It's a comfort thing and they carry large variety of helmets. Find the one that works for you and then buy it wherever you get the best deal imho...!!good luck :thumbup:

Bob Ledford
03-23-2013, 04:11 PM
I would suggest the Arthur Fulmer line of helmets

BajaRon
03-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Now I know folk who can't wear various brands of helmet.
So it's always best to try one on before you decide which to buy.
Strangely I can't wear an Arai helmet (as much as love them!) as I always get
slight pressure on my temples which after an a few minutes is turning into a headache!
I can't wear a Bell as I get a similar thing happen across my forehead!
Helmets are expensive and probably the most important accessory you'll buy so it
pays dividends to spend your money on one that's right for you. Just my opinion....

Arai actually makes 4 different head shaped helmets. From the Round Head RX-Q to the Oval Head Signet-Q and 2 variations in-between. Some models have removable interior padding that will make the helmet more round or more oval to help adjust the fit.

Most helmet brands come in just one head shape. That's why you'll hear people say 'I have a Shoei head' etc. Because of this many people assume that all Arai helmets are the same shape. They try one on, it doesn't fit their head and they move on without realizing that there is probably an Arai model that will fit them very well.

It is hard to believe that there isn't an Arai model that will fit your head.

pro10is
03-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Arai actually makes 4 different head shaped helmets. From the Round Head RX-Q to the Oval Head Signet-Q and 2 variations in-between. ...

Actually the RX-Q is for normal oval shaped heads not round heads. It's not, as many people think, a replacement for the discontinued Arai Quantum which was definitely for round shaped heads. Arai currently has no helmet in production for round heads but rumor has it that they are working on a replacement for the once popular Quantum. Helmet reviewers such as Webbikeworld are upset with Arai for discontinuing the Quantum without offering another helmet for people with round shaped heads.

So the current Arai lineup for full face helmets is:

Corsair-V: Intermediate Oval - Race style best suited for aggressive track riding.
RX-Q: Intermediate Oval - Street style best suited for touring and upright riding.
Signet-Q: Long Oval - Street style best suited for touring and upright riding (long oval version of the RX-Q).
Defiant: Intermediate Oval - Street style best suited for 3/4 and upright riding without a faring or windshield.
Vector-2: Intermediate Oval - Street style best suited for 3/4 and upright riding.
XD4: Intermediate Oval - Dual Sport style best suited for dual sport and adventure riding.

major911
03-24-2013, 08:04 AM
I use Shoei and have been told that is the head shape they "lean" toward.

:agree: :thumbup:

NancysToy
03-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Actually the RX-Q is for normal oval shaped heads not round heads. It's not, as many people think, a replacement for the discontinued Arai Quantum which was definitely for round shaped heads. Arai currently has no helmet in production for round heads but rumor has it that they are working on a replacement for the once popular Quantum. Helmet reviewers such as Webbikeworld are upset with Arai for discontinuing the Quantum without offering another helmet for people with round shaped heads.

So the current Arai lineup for full face helmets is:

Corsair-V: Intermediate Oval - Race style best suited for aggressive track riding.
RX-Q: Intermediate Oval - Street style best suited for touring and upright riding.
Signet-Q: Long Oval - Street style best suited for touring and upright riding (long oval version of the RX-Q).
Defiant: Intermediate Oval - Street style best suited for 3/4 and upright riding without a faring or windshield.
Vector-2: Intermediate Oval - Street style best suited for 3/4 and upright riding.
XD4: Intermediate Oval - Dual Sport style best suited for dual sport and adventure riding.

:agree: The RX-Q fits very much like the Vector-2, but it is a little wider in front than the back, IMO. It is definitely not round like the old Quantum.

BajaRon
03-24-2013, 02:20 PM
:agree: The RX-Q fits very much like the Vector-2, but it is a little wider in front than the back, IMO. It is definitely not round like the old Quantum.

It's true that the new RX-Q is not as much a 'Round Head' shape as the older Quantum series it replaced. It is still the 'Roundest' head shape Arai makes and it is more round than any of their current helmets including the new Defiant (which we will carry but is not yet available). Intermediate Oval is really a range of head shapes within a certain spectrum. Certainly, all helmets deemed 'IO' are not going to fit the same. But right now, it is true that if you need a true Round Oval helmet, Arai is probably not going to do it for you.

Still, there are some 'New' Quantum II helmets out there.

I am not sure what Arai was thinking when they abandoned the true, round oval head shape of the Quantum series. Like many corporate 'Great Ideas', this one seems to have come back to bite them. Whether or not Arai will 'fix' this in the future is hard to say.

Arai seems to be somewhat like Honda. They think you should by the product they decide to sell. On the other hand, they are usually selling what people want. Just not always.