PDA

View Full Version : New Member Introduction

Tyler
03-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Howdy, all! I was directed over here by a friend on another forum to take a look at a ride report of a Spyder adventure to Alaska which I found intriguing and interesting to say the least!

Anyway, long story short, in June 2009 on a long-distance ride to Wyoming, a couple hours outside of Boise, ID, I was involved in a near fatal accident when I, and my bike (FZ1), were run over by a semi. Spent 4 months in the hospital recovering from a broken pelvis and several grafting surgeries for severe degloving injuries on my legs (yes, I was wearing full gear but afaik they don't make semi-proof stuff yet! ;) ). About 6 months later, I was really missing traveling and exploring this amazing world we live in but wasn't comfortable with the risks of 2-wheels given the amount of time, energy, spirit, and love that many people had shared with me to ensure I would stick around a bit longer.

I had seen a Spyder up at Alice's, a popular ride-to-eat destination in the hills here, and thought it was pretty cool looking. So I took one for a test ride... took me a little bit of time to realize that the whole counter-steering thing wasn't really equaling proper machine maneuvering on 3-wheels... great form, no turning!! :roflblack: Also no hand brake as well as not having to put my feet down at stops were the other things that I had to work against instinct. But I persevered and over the course of the next year, continued to heal, get stronger, and learn how to ride my new beastie, named Clifford by my daughter. :ohyea:

Between Oct. 2011 and November 2012, I rolled on 18K miles including trips to the Great Southwest, Baja, and Canada. Next year I'm aiming for a 6-week US tour. While I miss "The Dance" of 2-wheels, I've learned to have a different kind of fun on Clifford as we venture forth on adventures, meeting new friends, and just experiencing the wonder of life. :)

I have a couple of ride reports that I'd like to share but not sure where is the proper place to post them so if someone could give me a gentle nudge in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it! :yes:

scooterexpress
03-22-2013, 05:26 PM
well glad you recovered and glad to hear your enjoying your spyder welcome to the best place on earth.

murphybrown
03-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Yes please share your joy of traveling on your Spyder, Clifford. Unless someone else has a better recommendation I would say put it under general discussion forum. Welcome and Looking forward to reading about your adventures. :thumbup:

rhansen309
03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the nicest and most informative forum for Spyders. We are glad you are still able to ride.

grumpybob
03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
well glad you recovered and glad to hear your enjoying your spyder welcome to the best place on earth.

:agree:. Great that you are riding again. The wind in your face is the same whether on 2 or 3 wheels. Keep us posted on you 6 week trip, Some my want to meet up with you and ride a few miles with you on your journey.

spydaman60
03-22-2013, 05:46 PM
glad to hear you're still riding!:thumbup: some people after having gone thru what you endured would never ride again.nojoke glad to see you here on spyderlovers. best dang :spyder2:site on the internet!:firstplace:

Tyler
03-22-2013, 05:51 PM
:agree:. Great that you are riding again. The wind in your face is the same whether on 2 or 3 wheels. Keep us posted on you 6 week trip, Some my want to meet up with you and ride a few miles with you on your journey.

That is always on the agenda... finding new friends that you just hadn't met yet... even if they're grumpy. :D

PrairieSpyder
03-22-2013, 05:54 PM
:welcome: I'm also happy you are recovered and have resumed ryding.

Please consider coming to SpyderFest next month. If not this year, you could fold it into your tour next year.

Also the BRP Owners' Event is in Maggie Valley, NC in June. We'd all sure like to meet you.

Bob Denman
03-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Welcome to our corner of the Universe; where all things Spyder, are what matter most! :2thumbs:
You're going to have to start posting some pics of your ride too! :thumbup:

TicketBait
03-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Great Story! Welcome to the SpyderLovers site.

SpyderAnn01
03-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story and please share your other reports with us. A few must do Spyder events are Spyderfest in Springfield/Ozark, MO, the BRP Owners Event in Maggie Valley, NC and Spyders in the Redwoods, Sonora, CA.

I hope you can make it to some or all of these events.

acinpcola
03-22-2013, 06:51 PM
That is always on the agenda... finding new friends that you just hadn't met yet... even if they're grumpy. :D

Well Hi, and I say I just may resemble that comment...:welcome:share your ryde stories and we can all learn from them.

Be Safe & Welcome Again

AC:spyder2:

harrypottar
03-22-2013, 07:02 PM
:welcome:, sounds like you had a rough time but pulled through, love to read your ride reports/stories.

I would love to spend more time of the road but work keeps getting in the way.

Harry:thumbup:

bhfromme
03-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Real sorry to hear about your crash. But glad you made it through and also very glad you entered Spyderland!:clap: You and Clifford are always welcome here. And any time is a good time to tell us more stories - we love to read people's adventures! And PS: grumpybob is really not so grumpy!

lil rabbit
03-22-2013, 07:22 PM
:welcome:glad to hear you are getting better and riding again..... :clap:

CyncySpyder
03-22-2013, 07:30 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64719&d=1363621102 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2698&attachmentid=64718)

PrairieSpyder
03-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Oh yeah. Almost forgot . . .

There's a women's Spyder group on Facebook, but I think it's Faran who can add you.

Also, in addition to the SpyderFest in Missouri and the Owners' Event in North Carolina, I think someone's organizing a Spyders in the Redwoods event, which would be closer to you.

Jeriatric
03-22-2013, 08:25 PM
You have a great attitude Tyler. Glad to hear you gave Clifford :spyder2: time for the two of you to get acquainted. Sounds like a fairly comfortable relationship considering there's 18K on Clifford's ticker already.

Look forward to reading about your adventures.

:welcome::coffee:

Chupaca
03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Glad you were able to come back from all that happened. Nice you found the spyder and from the mileage you learned fast. Your friend led you to the right place for anything spyder or that might cross your mind. Welcome...!!:ohyea:

ronrico
03-22-2013, 10:51 PM
:welcome:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-22-2013, 10:55 PM

Tx web rider
03-22-2013, 11:52 PM
their is always spyderfest around the tables and camp fires for stories

but yes feel free to give account of your rides

MIPS22
03-23-2013, 01:16 AM
Join up on Facebook GOS page ....Girls on Spyders. There's over 500 joined now including some of us from other countries.:rolleyes:

Glad to hear your up and about again, enjoy your touring and keep safe.:thumbup:

(rhansen 309 - love your paint job, saw pic on your post. )

GloryRyders
03-23-2013, 05:54 AM
:welcome: , lookin' forward to meeting you at one of this years events (ie. Spyderfest, Owners Event, etc.):2thumbs:

Daisyjoe
03-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Welcome to the group:clap:

Yazz
03-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Welcome to our little corner of the web! Glad you are back with your knees in the breeze. :2thumbs:

Would love to hear some of the adventures you and Clifford have been on. Post away on General Discussion.

vtspyder
03-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Welcome Tyler! Amazing story and grateful you are able to tell it! :welcome:

coz
03-23-2013, 10:29 AM
:welcome:

lmfarmer94
03-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Welcome Tyler! Everyone here will be more than happy to help you in anyway.

Marty

ARtraveler
03-23-2013, 01:43 PM
:welcome: You have come to the right place for all things :spyder2:

Ex-Rocket
03-23-2013, 04:10 PM
This is my first Spyder and I purchased a 2012 RTS SE5 about 2 weeks ago. I have been riding motorcycles for many years. I have owned Yamaha's, a bunch of Honda Magna's, and my last bike was a Triumph Rocket. Boy that bike was fast. But with me getting older and my knees giving me some problems I decided it was time to go to 3 wheels and time to enjoy the scenry. I have been out west twice on my Triumph and seen Hoover Dam, Mount Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Sturgis, not during the bike rally and some points in between. When I purchased the Spyder and was riding it home, the bike seemed to want to dart either left or right a little and was thinking that maybe I had made a mistake. I have been reading some about the anti-sway-bar and don't know if this will correct that feeling or not. I have since rode it another 100 miles and didn't really get the sensation on that ride. So maybe I'm getting used to the bike. So far the weather has not been favorable and just wish warmer weather would get here. Well I just wanted to introduce myself and get some interaction about the sway-bar and maybe other mods such as floor boards to replace the pegs. Any suggestions would be appreceated.

Rockwall
03-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Welcome to our world! I admire your determination to stay out in the wind!!

Jeriatric
03-23-2013, 04:18 PM
This is my first Spyder and I purchased a 2012 RTS SE5 about 2 weeks ago. I have been riding motorcycles for many years. I have owned Yamaha's, a bunch of Honda Magna's, and my last bike was a Triumph Rocket. Boy that bike was fast. But with me getting older and my knees giving me some problems I decided it was time to go to 3 wheels and time to enjoy the scenry. I have been out west twice on my Triumph and seen Hoover Dam, Mount Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Sturgis, not during the bike rally and some points in between. When I purchased the Spyder and was riding it home, the bike seemed to want to dart either left or right a little and was thinking that maybe I had made a mistake. I have been reading some about the anti-sway-bar and don't know if this will correct that feeling or not. I have since rode it another 100 miles and didn't really get the sensation on that ride. So maybe I'm getting used to the bike. So far the weather has not been favorable and just wish warmer weather would get here. Well I just wanted to introduce myself and get some interaction about the sway-bar and maybe other mods such as floor boards to replace the pegs. Any suggestions would be appreceated.

:welcome:Recommended reading. It may answer some questions that are sure to pop up. Hope you find it helpful.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

Sorry all, for the temporary hi jack.