PDA

View Full Version : Bike Week 2013 Daytona Beach

Bob Ledford
03-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Bike Week (BW) 2013 Daytona Beach FL and Surrounding Area

It all started to come together a week ahead of time. The rumble of Harley-Davidson (HD) and the high pitched scream of “Rice Power (RP)” could be heard from as far away as a mile or more from our back porch.

When you combine the rumble of the HD and the scream of RP you get a rumble and a roar sound that was a very familiar sound to these old ears. Bike Week 2013 was here.

I went out on the Can-Am Thursday afternoon before the official start of BW and took a pass through town that included the Speedway, Beach Street, and Main Street and it was crowded with riders and bikes to the point of congestion.

The local Chamber of Commerce came out with a news blurb early in the week probably in the Sunday paper. But I don’t recall the exact date at this point about HD sponsoring a bike parade the following Saturday. Anne and I made it date for us. I started talking about it to every Can-Am driver that I came in contact with and put it on all the forums that I belong to. What a fizzle that was only two of us showed up, us and a friend from Deltona, were gutsy enough to brave the 45 degree morning and ride.

Early on in the week, Anne and I, made a deal since it was so cool out and we both had “physical therapy (PT)” sessions scheduled that we would do one major outing a day. So we started our days with PT then since we were taking the Spyder to PT we went right into the riding and fun part. Besides that it was warmer by a couple of degrees.

All in all I would say from my non-scientific observations that BW 2013 was a big success for a majority of the vendors. Most of the vendors that we chatted with were having good sales days but nothing that was breaking records. We attributed part of this to the excellent riding weather. Cooler then usual mornings, warm afternons and cool evenings with little tono rain.
The cool to cold wind was the biggest detriment weather wise that was encountered.

We were virtually camped out daily at the BRP Demonstration Ride area every day. We had some really good times there for sure. Many of the Can-Am home business innovators were missing this year for whatever reasons. But they were missed by many of us that were counting on being able to see thier products and order them. I was shopping for floor boards and mt friend was wanting a luggage rack. The LED lighting vendors were doing a good business.
“Lamonster” and Harvey from “SPYDERPOPS” were at times overwhelmed by the Hoards of information humgry Spyder Ryders. It was great fun to chat with both of them during lulls in people traffic.

All in all there was a good turn out of Spyder’s despite the cold weather. There was a noticeable storage of Spyder associated riding organizations absent this year. BRP “demo riding crew” had their hands full of people clambering to ride the 2013 line up of machines daily. Friday had them with a full day on Sat too. The BRP Owners gathering was well attended but not a record setting day I don’t think.

Lilly
03-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Great write up:clap: Did u ride the track:ohyea:

otter28169
03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
It just proves my point: Lamont has the greatest job of all time. Imagine it being your "job" to go to bike week in Daytona, and talk about spyders. I have not been down there during bike week since I was a teenager. Hope you guys had fun and I hope to meet you all in Maggie Valley:thumbup:

Just sayin'............

MouthPiece
03-20-2013, 09:44 AM
I have no idea how it didn't happen, but it didn't. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet and talk with you Bob. I was there Thursday, Friday and Saturday too. Perhaps Maggie Valley or Spyderfest?

Chris

jwhatman
03-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Living in the heart of Bike week it's always fun to see and hear the riders come in for the events. It first begins as a trickle,then a roar. The roar is constant, except on really cold nights, no one is out. Then on Friday and Saturday, the noise level skyrockets. Sunday it's so very quiet. Hubby and I always exclaim on Sunday night after Bike week, it's so quiet. We wouldn't have it any other way. I know some of locals complain about the traffic, and the crazy bikers, but for the most part, they enjoy the scenery and the atmosphere.

Joyce

OJ UK
03-20-2013, 08:48 PM
On my trips to Daytona Bike Week through the years I've stayed in Port Orange
and there is always, 24/7, a Harley that can be heard! It's part of the atmosphere there.
My last visit was in 2004 and I always enjoyed my three weeks there! (One week for
Bike Week and two weeks to recover!!) In the early days I used to stay with a friend in Deltona
and even there the night would be punctuated with the sound of Harleys. Brilliant stuff!!

boomerkc
03-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Spent the 3 wks before BW at the house in Plantation Bay (Ormond Beach). Saw the bikes starting to arrive, tents going up and Iron Horse getting ready. Had to head back to KC because my brother's GF was flying in. Enjoying everyone's reviews. Keep them coming. Bob Ledford, we can also hear the bikes when laying
by pool and breeze from south.

Ga Blue Knight
03-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Just wish bike week was in may not march as it always so darn cold!

great write up!

NancysToy
03-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Just wish bike week was in may not march as it always so darn cold!

great write up!
If you think it is cold down there, you should be up here. :D

lookerjdc
03-21-2013, 02:44 PM
it was only cold in the early morning and then later at night

once the sun was up it was short sleeves all the way....

but thats 'winter' in Florida..... lol