PDA

View Full Version : Real World Handling of the ST?

OldDog
03-19-2013, 04:09 PM
I actually like the ergos of the ST better than an RT. It just seems to fit me better. That said, my question is taking a different path. Do we (Spyderlovers) have enough ST's out there and enough miles yet to assess the handling of the ST. I'm talking about an ST with correct alignment and good ball joints. I am perplexed as to why there is no adjustment of the shocks. I realize this has been touched upon in other threads.

Unfortunately, a Spyder of any kind may not be in the cards for me, but I'm still a big fan. If it happens you'll be the first to know.

Cheers, Olddog :thumbup: :D

Bob Denman
03-19-2013, 04:59 PM
I haven't seen you around in a while; welcome back! :thumbup:
There's no preload adjustment on the new shocks because,(As I understand it), the alignment on the new front suspensions is fussy about ride height.
That's a change from prior models... :shocked:
BRP must have figured that if you give a customer an adjustment; they'll find a way to monkey something up with it! :gaah:
But there's no need to worry; the stock shocks work excellently on the ST limited... It felt just about as good as my RT that's got a set of Elka shocks and a BajaRon Anti-SwayBar under it's nose... :2thumbs:
And Elka's going to be bringing out shocks for the 2013 models pretty soon; Trooper posted about it earlier today! :yes::yes:
And I'm STILL hoping for you to be able to pull the trigger on an ST soon! :thumbup:

Chupaca
03-19-2013, 05:16 PM
To ryde the new ST this way I will never know the difference and mine will still be the BEST..!! :roflblack::roflblack:

asp125
03-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Wonder if (factory stock, non-Elka, non-Bajaron) the order of handling from best to softest is: RSS, RS, ST, RT? Or do they all have the same sway bar and shock calibrations?

Is there any hard data? Like g-meter readings, lap times, etc? Other than the butt-dyno?

Bob Denman
03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
The RSs & STs kind of share the same front suspension; I think! (Dimensionally; they seem to match up)
The RTs have longer A-arms and a different amount of offset in thw wheels... (Makes them wider)
BajaRon might be able to tell you more about the bars that came on them stock, as he's built improvements for them! :thumbup:

kubie
03-20-2013, 04:45 PM
I had a 2012 RS-S and loved it but I wanted to upgrade because Im 6'4" and the ST-S fit me so much better. And already has all the things that I wanted to upgrade on my RS-S. SO after I got It, I thought WTF did I get myself into! Couldn't keep it on the road. Then the 3013 Alignment and the balljoint fix and I LOVE IT!!!! fits me so much better! Hope you get things in Line so you can have a BLAST like the rest of us!!!

:doorag:
Kubie

Bob Denman
03-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Glad to hear that "The Fix" worked it's magic for your new pride and joy! :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
03-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Not a lot of concrete information on the new 2013's has been posted yet. I believe we are up to about 7 or 8 that have received and posted about the new ball joint fix. So far, all but one are happy. One has received 2+ ball joint fixes and is still not happy.

Maybe it would be a good idea for someone to start a thread reporting on the ball joint fix and maybe a 1000 mile and 5000 mile interval report.

Maybe, so few posting about new ST's and how they are handling post-ball joint replacements means good news.

Spyder in La.
03-27-2013, 10:22 PM
I've put 54mi on my 2013 ST Limited. I did bump 68mph for approx 5sec and didn't notice any handling issues. Mostly maintained my speed below 55mph during break-in.... Got a 100mi trip planned for next week. I'll keep u posted. :thumbup::doorag:

spyderman526
03-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Ok I have a new sts yellow I have a 1000 miles on it now I rode.one without the new ball joints and mine with new ball joints big difference it turns a lot smoother and its not twichy so brp got it rite .....

JkRbbt
03-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Have a 2013 RT that is in for the new joints as we speak. :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

weapon
03-28-2013, 01:40 PM
My one week old STS required ball joints and alignment.
I was told the alignment was way out and now it is perfect.
Can't wait for better weather to ride it again.

Spyder in La.
03-29-2013, 10:41 AM
My one week old STS required ball joints and alignment.
I was told the alignment was way out and now it is perfect.
Can't wait for better weather to ride it again.

I will be attending the demo in Avondale tomorrow and will inquire about the new ball joints.:lecturef_smilie:
My dealer wasn't aware of a recall on the ST ball joints. :dontknow:
BTW: on a suggestion, I did increase the air pressure in my front tires from 15psig to 22psig and noticed a significant improvement in handling.

BajaRon
03-29-2013, 10:51 AM
The RS, ST, ST-S, ST Ltd. have the same suspension. The RS-S has a different sway bar and shock setup. BRP is offering the RS-S suspension upgrade (adjustable Fox shocks and sway bar) for about $400.00. I HIGHLY recommend this upgrade as the sway bar is substantially stiffer and the Fox shocks substantially better than the OEM components on the other models.

Can Am Spyder US ‑ FOX Adjustable Shock Kit with Sway Bar (http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CgQYGZbhVUdf0HIfo8wSCo4CoD-Pjh_EF89WciGvD4YqJVAgGEAFQ0NCj4AJgybbZjOCk0BCgAfXU oNADyAEHqgQnT9BUp8yDAU0Umzf3WZIH2VZtd0iZ7rIOrA-OsSs4H3k7SlZkgePxwAUFoAYmuAYBgAfzqt8v4BLYjry9xvy0-SE&sig=AOD64_26CYEJUJZxhcxwtLnLMW61-9NHBQ&ctype=5&ved=0CLYBEPQO&adurl=http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/631121/SPD219400409/_/Can%2BAm%2BSpyder%2BUS%2B-%2BFOX%2BAdjustable%2BShock%2BKit%2Bwith%2BSway%2B Bar%3Futm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26utm _campaign%3Dadwords_pla%26os%3Dpla%26m%3D4630%26c% 3D0&rct=j&q=can-am+Spyder+suspension+upgrade+fox+shocks)

Or, you can just upgrade the sway bar and install your preferred brand of shocks. If you want to see how much difference there is, ride one of the other models and then ride an RS-S. The only difference is in the sway bar an shocks.

capt.jim
03-30-2013, 12:54 AM
The RS, ST, ST-S, ST Ltd. have the same suspension. The RS-S has a different sway bar and shock setup. BRP is offering the RS-S suspension upgrade (adjustable Fox shocks and sway bar) for about $400.00. I HIGHLY recommend this upgrade as the sway bar is substantially stiffer and the Fox shocks substantially better than the OEM components on the other models.

Can Am Spyder US ‑ FOX Adjustable Shock Kit with Sway Bar (http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CgQYGZbhVUdf0HIfo8wSCo4CoD-Pjh_EF89WciGvD4YqJVAgGEAFQ0NCj4AJgybbZjOCk0BCgAfXU oNADyAEHqgQnT9BUp8yDAU0Umzf3WZIH2VZtd0iZ7rIOrA-OsSs4H3k7SlZkgePxwAUFoAYmuAYBgAfzqt8v4BLYjry9xvy0-SE&sig=AOD64_26CYEJUJZxhcxwtLnLMW61-9NHBQ&ctype=5&ved=0CLYBEPQO&adurl=http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/631121/SPD219400409/_/Can%2BAm%2BSpyder%2BUS%2B-%2BFOX%2BAdjustable%2BShock%2BKit%2Bwith%2BSway%2B Bar%3Futm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26utm _campaign%3Dadwords_pla%26os%3Dpla%26m%3D4630%26c% 3D0&rct=j&q=can-am+Spyder+suspension+upgrade+fox+shocks)

Or, you can just upgrade the sway bar and install your preferred brand of shocks. If you want to see how much difference there is, ride one of the other models and then ride an RS-S. The only difference is in the sway bar an shocks.
Here is a picture of the 2013 ST stock anti-sway bar and the bar from the BRP Fox shock and bar kit, quite a difference. The stock ST shocks and the 2013 Fox shocks are about 3/8" shorter than the previous years due to the new shock angle. The 2010 RT shocks worked fantastic once the ball joints were replaced, even though they raised the front end 1/2" over the Fox shocks.6551765518 Supposedly correct ride height is now critical to the alignments on the 2013's, hence their reason for the non-adjustable shocks. Of course ride heights will vary with much different weights so I wouldn't worry about that reasoning too much. The RT shock is on the left and the stock ST is the middle. The RS-S upgrade kit is a great deal, I thought it was a typo.

chris56
03-30-2013, 05:07 AM

its good that we still have deep winter here (if I read all this stories here) - no Chance to test the ST .. did someone check if its possible to install the airshock of the RT on an ST - and how much would that cost ??

Spyder in La.
03-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Just returned from a fantastic Can am demo event in Avondale. That track certainly allowed you to safely put the ST-S thru its paces... From 76mph straight-aways to hairpin turns and twisters. After 5 loops and missing my exit ( twice ), the "demo sheriff" decided that I was having too much fun and waved:lecturef_smilie: me to the pit...:firstplace: Still #1..... Also met some great guys,:bowdown: Gene, Dennis, James, and Joe....

Bob Denman
03-30-2013, 07:18 PM
If there's such a thing as too much fun; I'm probably guilty of that too! :shocked:
It sure sounds as if they had a real nice place set up for you to run the bikes through their paces! :thumbup:

Zenagirl
03-31-2013, 01:24 PM
I would think Flamingo Babe would be the one to talk to right now. I think she got her new ST-L very recently and put almost 2k on it in just 8 days or so. :yes::yes::yes: Totally AMAZING!! I just took my ST-L for my first "long" ride yesterday. Went about 215 miles down to Vancouver WA. First time on the freeway for me, and going up to 70-75 mph. I have not had the ball joints replaced yet, but my :spyder2: handled really well. By the way, this is my first spyder, and I've only taken it out for a couple of 45-50 miles rides, so yesterday was a HUGE mile stone for me! But my son came down with his Big Dog Canine Chopper and was willing to take me out and help me conquer my fears. I really really enjoyed the day. I have to admit my first ride was scarey and the bike really is sensitive, but I listened to everyone else on this site, and took their advise and directions and just didn't hold a death grip and the bike handled well. Just a little bit of practice, and with yesterday's ride, I am very very happy with my ST-L. I had a blast yesterday!! I am amazed at the power it has for getting on the freeway, and the ability to stay up with my son on his bike. I was a little wobbly on my first "passing" of another vehicle but learned to just take it easy and it became more comfortable. I couldn't believe my son would actually get me into the fast lane, but he did. So.... I'd say contact Flamingo Babe, she'll be able to tell you so much more! Happy riding to you!!! :clap:

Bob Denman
04-01-2013, 06:58 AM
:2thumbs: :clap:

Bryk
04-01-2013, 08:01 AM
I only have 150+ miles so far on my ST, (had ball joint replacement from delivery) and I think it is handling pretty well.

flamingobabe
04-01-2013, 08:44 AM
First off I purchased my ST-Limited in Missouri...I live in Texas.....fly up rode around for 700 miles back to dealership...PitBull Powersports...had oil changed...and rode home....PitBull Powersports worked really hard changing out the ball joints and alignment and I also had Elka shocks installed before I left PitBull...Len said he thought my ST was the first to have Elka's...I rode on some fairly nice curvy roads...rode in nasty rain...cold...misty slick roads....the ST performed perfectly...I have about 2k and know I have made an excellent purchase...so diffferent from RS....mainly the ST is tighter....sharper....quicker in handling...

azjerry
04-02-2013, 12:38 PM
We've had our ST-S SE-5 for a month or so, just took it in today for the 600 checkup. The ball joints were replaced before they sold it to us. My wife and I each have about 300 on it, it is actually hers but I steal a ride every now and then. So far it has been very good but neither of us has anything to compare to. She is a new rider and I have only experienced two wheels for my riding career. She took the basic MSF course on a Wing 1500 trike but that is her only other riding experience. I've had it up to 75 mph plus on the freeway and done some curvy hill riding (Yarnell hill in AZ for those that know the area) I think it is a little more work on turns than a two wheeler, otherwise very enjoyable. The wife loves it. No regrets and I think it handles fine. I would like adjustable suspension but my GL1800 Wing has notoriously weak OEM suspension with minimal adjustments so can't really complain about the Spyder.

Sny
04-22-2013, 10:56 PM
First off I purchased my ST-Limited in Missouri...I live in Texas.....fly up rode around for 700 miles back to dealership...PitBull Powersports...had oil changed...and rode home....PitBull Powersports worked really hard changing out the ball joints and alignment and I also had Elka shocks installed before I left PitBull...Len said he thought my ST was the first to have Elka's...I rode on some fairly nice curvy roads...rode in nasty rain...cold...misty slick roads....the ST performed perfectly...I have about 2k and know I have made an excellent purchase...so diffferent from RS....mainly the ST is tighter....sharper....quicker in handling...
It's good to hear that.

I made the move from a 2009 GS to a 2013 STS with the fox shocks and sway bar upgrade... and I'm not exactly thrilled with the handling. It's stiffer, in quick, slower speed turns and at higher speeds, 40 to 60mph or so, it's unpredictable and twitchy. It requires significantly more effort to start a turn, but then seems to give unexpectedly.

In a straight line at any speed it seems stable.

The lower ball joints were new according to BRP/VIN (I called) and the basics (alignment, tire pressure) have been done. But something is definitely not right. It certainly doesn't handle better than my aging GS.

So it's good to hear that it's something fixable.

capt.jim
04-22-2013, 11:37 PM
I would double check again to make sure the ball joints were actually done, mine was about the same as you desribe. I would never had believed ball joints could be so tight as to affect the steering effort to such a degree, even with power steering. Glad it was only the lowers and not all four.

Sny
04-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Any easy way to tell?

I called BRP and gave them my VIN and they said it's not part of the recall.

Green RSS
04-24-2013, 09:14 AM
I have a little over 300 miles on my STS and have hit 87mph with it. No issues. The handling is better than my stock 2012 RSS. It just rides smoother and handles corners better. It has to be the best vehicle swap I've ever done. Long live the STS!! :clap::ohyea::clap:

Spydr in KS
04-24-2013, 07:26 PM
I just asked and the ball joints were done. Never heard the word VIN

Doing 800 miles to SD and back next 2 days. Should be great

Spyder in La.
04-25-2013, 09:26 PM
I just asked and the ball joints were done. Never heard the word VIN

Doing 800 miles to SD and back next 2 days. Should be great

I ran 104 mph today on a back road in NMex (with crosswinds )and "My Precious" :spyder2: handling was perfect!! No steering issues.:yes: My avg speed was 75mph which is legal. I just couldn't resist that 4mile stretch with no traffic. 48 degrees, grip warmer, no problem.:ohyea:
Btw: I'm avg 29 mpg but after my odometer turned 2100miles, my new mpg is 34. Go figure?:dontknow:

Spydr in KS
04-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Ran 75 - 80 all day thru IA and SD. Cross winds hammered my body a bit but the ST ran rock solid and straight. No way I would have done this many miles on my GS. The ST was super comfortable seating and leg position. Love the cruise control!

OldDog
06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
I wanted to bump this thread back up for further discussion as we get more ST owners out there. I am intrigued by the responses so far.

Should the 2014 ST come out with a RS-S like Suspension and adjustable shocks? I'm just throwing these questions out, I have no expertise.

Part of the fun of owning a Spyder is modifying it to fit your needs. The ST's shocks are not adjustable, but are designed for a load range of XXX pounds. Some people are saying it seems softer than the RS-S and not as tight. Others are saying it's snappier. This should make for a spirited discussion. Keep it objective. :chat: :thumbup:

Jharpo
06-20-2013, 12:12 AM
I traded my 2009 GS with 2012 RT shocks, BajaRon Bar, 4" risers, and Rivco floor boards on a
new ST Limited. My ball joints and alignment were upgraded at the factory per BRP. In a straight line or sweeping curves the ST is fine. When riding more aggressively, the bike feels like it wants to float to the outside. It's very difficult to hold a smooth line or change lines if the turn tightens up. I have attempted to purchase the adjustable Fox shocks and sway bar, but they have been on back order since I bought the bike with no date of when they will be available. I really can't swing a set of Elkas $$ at this time so I guess I'm stuck with Grandma's rocking chair for the time being, unless someone has a suggestion. The distortion in the windshield drives me nuts. dealer gave me a great deal on the ultra sport shield and it is better but still has a lot of distortion. I love the look of the bike and really love the brakes. If I can just get rid of the loose floppy feeling I will be a very happy camper.