PDA

View Full Version : Water pump impeller, free floating collett issues

Spyderbit65
03-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi all
My husband and I both have 2011 RSS and are both experiencing issues with coollant leaking... The mechanic said that they have had at least 5 other 2011 RSS SE5 and RSS SM5's in the shop for the same issue. They are not able to see why the free floating collet is seizing to the water pump impeller and causing it to fail.
They had to replace the Water pump impeller, O ring and free floating collet on my husband's spyder and now mine is going in the shop this weekend. It is taking a minimum 2 weeks to get the replacement parts. (I will go nuts without CG for 2 weeks). I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this same issue?
Has anyone seen any kind of recall notices or anything from BRP about this?

Just curious
Colleen

DrewNJ
03-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Hi all
My husband and I both have 2011 RSS and are both experiencing issues with coollant leaking... The mechanic said that they have had at least 5 other 2011 RSS SE5 and RSS SM5's in the shop for the same issue. They are not able to see why the free floating collet is seizing to the water pump impeller and causing it to fail.
They had to replace the Water pump impeller, O ring and free floating collet on my husband's spyder and now mine is going in the shop this weekend. It is taking a minimum 2 weeks to get the replacement parts. (I will go nuts without CG for 2 weeks). I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this same issue?
Has anyone seen any kind of recall notices or anything from BRP about this?

Just curious
Colleen

Leaking water pump shafts are common on these motors. It goes back even prior to the existence of the spyder on the Aprilia bikes. There has been quite a bit of discussion on here as well as the Aprilia forums and not much has changed in close to 10 years...lol.
Mine leaked on my 2012 at 2600 miles. My friend has a 2011 with 8500 miles and he noticed just a few days ago that his is leaking too.
Our leaks have been VERY minor and more of a weeping. Repair time for me was about two weeks as well. A few days to get it apart....a week to order and receive the parts....and a few more days to get it all back together.
Doug

jerpinoy
03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Leaking water pump shafts are common on these motors. It goes back even prior to the existence of the spyder on the Aprilia bikes. There has been quite a bit of discussion on here as well as the Aprilia forums and not much has changed in close to 10 years...lol.
Mine leaked on my 2012 at 2600 miles. My friend has a 2011 with 8500 miles and he noticed just a few days ago that his is leaking too.
Our leaks have been VERY minor and more of a weeping. Repair time for me was about two weeks as well. A few days to get it apart....a week to order and receive the parts....and a few more days to get it all back together.
Doug

Any BRP recall on this matter? Are they the same on RS and RT?

DrewNJ
03-19-2013, 01:59 PM
No recalls as there really isn't an upgrade, typical warranty repair. RT and RS are the same. It's something in the Aprilia world that they just live with unless it gets real bad.
BRP went with a one piece shaft....good/bad I don't know.
For some the weeping is minor enough that it is caught in the tray and never hits the floor. Most don't notice. Coolant loss is minimal. I went through about 4-6oz in a season until winter for the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capt.jim
03-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Mine has been leaking oil from the weephole for quite some time now. I thought it was from the airbox until I replaced it with an Evo air filter recently and got rid of the box. On one side there is a coolant seal and an oil seal on the other side, they can leak either or both. It is common with the Aprilia's and Rotax's and you have to remove the clutch side cover also to get the water pump housing off. From what I've read it is not easy to replace the seals correctly and the repairs don't last too long sometimes before they start leaking again.

Chupaca
03-19-2013, 06:04 PM
If you know what has to be done can't they order the parts and have them ready to change. In the shops I worked and managed we did this all the time. That way we did not have the bike for weeks...imho:dontknow:

aka1004
03-19-2013, 08:45 PM
i had the leak from weep hole and replacing impeller, shaft, and both seals took care of that(mech insisted on replacing all the components). i guess in your case your outside seal(around the cover) is bad where my problem was the inner oil seal.

WackyDan
03-24-2013, 01:51 PM
My 08 is in for water pump right now and it took two weeks for them to get the part. Should be done on Tuesday.