PDA

View Full Version : Hot spot

Polack
04-23-2008, 09:33 AM
My muffler has developed a "hot spot" so I called my dealer asking how BRP was handling this defect. He said this is the first he's heard of it. Has anyone had this muffler hot spot covered under warranty? How did they handle it (new muffler, upgrade credit, repaint)?

smokster
04-23-2008, 11:07 AM
My muffler has developed a "hot spot" so I called my dealer asking how BRP was handling this defect. He said this is the first he's heard of it. Has anyone had this muffler hot spot covered under warranty? How did they handle it (new muffler, upgrade credit, repaint)?

Hmmm they never heard of it, thats all we have been talking about with them.
Mine was warantied, they sent a new one to my dealer be installed, but I heard they still were having the same issue, so I have not done anything quite yet.

bjt
04-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Seems to me that there are a lot of things that people who frequent these Spyder boards know or have heard that the dealers haven't. I think that many dealers are relying on BRP for their maintenance issue notification or what their 5 to 20 Spyder customers have told them. We have the benefit of hundreds of posters who have had just about every experience, problem, upgrade or repair issue that there is. I like our dealer and the service manager there but they don't know everything. I was just telling them about the battery acid leaking issue and the statement on Yuasa's website that the Spyder batteries have to be factory activated as dealer activated batteries have the leaking problem. He didn't know that but I got that tidbit of information from this board one day last week.

:spyder: :spyder:

Rando
04-23-2008, 06:47 PM
I was just telling them about the battery acid leaking issue and the statement on Yuasa's website that the Spyder batteries have to be factory activated as dealer activated batteries have the leaking problem. He didn't know that but I got that tidbit of information from this board one day last week. :spyder::spyder:I received my replacement battery from the dealer yesterday!

dltang
04-23-2008, 06:55 PM
I received my replacement battery from the dealer yesterday!

We will have to ask the service manager about this. Maybe we should have them order the replacement batteries as well. Both bjt and I have battery acid residue on at least one or two screws and he has a spot on the garage floor where his may have leaked more. He also pointed out a wet spot on mine where it may still have a slight leak. Is is safe to assume that this replacement was at no cost to you. Also, Rondo, did you get my PM, was it helpful at all?

Rando
04-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Replacement battery was at no cost.

Yes I received your PM, THANKS! Unfortunately she has NO desire to ever ride a motorcycle, even a Spyder! :(

dabreitbach
04-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I just noticed the hot spot on my muffler. 290 miles. Will be letting my dealer know.

SPYMAN
04-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Hot spot on the muffler at about 400 miles, now just over 1000 and hot spot has gotton pretty big!!!

SPYMAN

wildwillie
04-25-2008, 02:56 AM
My hot spot is starting to show up 600mi.I informed my dealer Champion power sports belleville mi.He said that brp would not do anything about it. So I informed him that brp is suppose to be working on the problem.He made note of it to CMA. They are so uninformed it's sad.
Rando glad to here you got your new battery.wildwillie

bjt
04-25-2008, 06:59 AM
My hot spot is starting to show up 600mi.I informed my dealer Champion power sports belleville mi.He said that brp would not do anything about it. So I informed him that brp is suppose to be working on the problem.He made note of it to CMA. They are so uninformed it's sad.
Rando glad to here you got your new battery.wildwillie

I gave my opinion on this in another thread and I'll regurgitate it here... :barf: :joke:

I'm giving the dealerships the benefit of the doubt, they are probably relying on BRP and their 5 - 10 Spyder owners for a lot of their info on the nuisance problems. On the Spyder boards, we have hundreds of people who are experiencing or know of someone who is dealing with any and every problem, defect, modification, etc. The unfortunate thing is that some dealers, mine included, are giving answers without finding out what is going on. To hear them tell you that something is not going to be addressed by BRP after you have read a few reports from people saying they are getting their dealer / BRP to fix the issue isn't very comforting. Likewise, to tell the dealer that you've heard / read that (insert problem here) is and issue with PDI, maintenance, etc. and they say they haven't heard of that... You get the picture.

I like my dealer very much and I think that many dealers are good companies to work with, I just don't think they are as dedicated to one specific product, namely the Spyder, that we owners and future owners are.
:spyder:

Jake007
04-25-2008, 04:45 PM
My hotspot showed up under 200 miles... ::)

Rando
04-29-2008, 06:58 PM
I have been reading about the Hindle needing a break-in period, run for 15 minutes - cool down for 15 minutes. It is possible that the so called "hot spot" on the stock muffler is a result of not having a break-in period like the Hindle? Just a theory.

BlackWidow
04-30-2008, 04:25 PM
I don't have the hotspot but I have seen others that do.

I notice the ones with the hotspot are kind of shiny with a brown tint. My pipe is flat black with a hint of a shine. Maybe mine is this color because of a low PE number of 59.

:spyder: