PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hesitation at Highway Speeds- Wondering if it the O2 sensor?

3Willie
03-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Had not driven my 2008 too much this winter, but noticed some slight hesitation at highway speeds this Spring. It is more of a slight hesitation mostly when running at 60+. Replaced the Y gaskets last fall, so wondering if I strained the connection to the O2 sensor. I checked all of the connections to the sensor and under the Tupperware, but all seem ok. The problem is also a little sporadic, so not sure what is going on. I may try some fuel additive just in case there has been some moisture buildup while sitting. Not really wanting to go to a Juice Box if the O2 sensor is getting weak since I am still running the stock muffler. Almost 12,000 miles on this SE5 with no other issues. Any feedback on O2 sensors and how they act when going bad would be appreciated. I am running iridium plugs and plug wires I made myself before Baja Ron started selling his. Have not messed with the plugs or wires since installing, so do not think they are the problem.

Tierhog
03-18-2013, 09:25 PM
We have the same bike and almost an identical setup. I suspected the JB and spoke with a tech. Mine would run fine, then after turning the bike off and letting it sit, I would ride off to find it would hesitate some. Rolling on the throttle helped some. After 15 seconds or so or mild misbehavior it would clear up. He mentioned the "loop" for fuel and how the Spyder still adjusts. The issue appears most when we experience big temp changes... Which are most relevant now. I hope that helps some.

I changed plugs, wires, gaskets, fuel... You name it. I just took the bike 100 miles and turned it off for a 5 min break. Rode off... 10-12 sec of acting up, and it ran perfect 100 miles home. :)

3Willie
03-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Running a stock engine and muffler so still trying to figure out the hesitation at higher rpm. Any other ideas why it should happen? Bugs me when an engine does not run smoothly especially under power so would love to figure this one out. It is really noticeable on straight and level roads where you really keep a steady throttle. ( I know, ride more exciting roads!):banghead::roflblack:Seriously any ideas??

DragonLorD
03-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Running a stock engine and muffler so still trying to figure out the hesitation at higher rpm. Any other ideas why it should happen? Bugs me when an engine does not run smoothly especially under power so would love to figure this one out. It is really noticeable on straight and level roads where you really keep a steady throttle. ( I know, ride more exciting roads!):banghead::roflblack:Seriously any ideas??

it is very hard to guess with so little info but :
- more than likely O2 sensor - they have no good reputation, try to go back to factory set up
- maybe gaskets, unless you got Honda's or leak on pipes can be a cause
- with 12000 miles on 2010 or older = clutch time, i had mine replaced for 2011 spec clutch just at the end of warranty and it wasn't a news to BRP back then so i guess it was an common issue but it was never a recall though
- next step would be get it tested at dealership, just do your homework before you pick one :thumbup:

boborgera
03-20-2013, 03:52 PM

Could be spark plug wires, Pull off a panel or two, And with the engine running and goosing the throttle in a dark garage look for an arcing wire, It might take a while for your eyes to adjust to the dark, But if that's the problem you should see it and even hear a crackling/snapping sound.

NancysToy
03-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Could be spark plug wires, Pull off a panel or two, And with the engine running and goosing the throttle in a dark garage look for an arcing wire, It might take a while for your eyes to adjust to the dark, But if that's the problem you should see it and even hear a crackling/snapping sound.
:agree: More likely ignition (plugs, wires, coil) than O2 sensor. Could also very easily be leaky Y-pipe gaskets. Taking some plug readings would help pin it down, but if you are running stock wires taking them off the plugs can kill them. When is the last time the throttle body was cleaned?

3Willie
03-21-2013, 08:51 AM
I replaced the Y gaskets last fall with some Honda gaskets. The old ones were in good shape, but replaced with the new ones while I had the exhaust apart. The hesitation problem started some time later, so suspect I may have strained the connection on the O2 sensor. I did double check all of those connections both at the sensor and under the Tupperware. The connections are tight. As far as plug wires go, I have not messed with them for quite some time and should check to see if there is any arcing. Before BajaRon started selling his plug wires, I had ran a thread about plug wire problems. I had actually made a set of plug wires to replace the stock wires which do have the reputation for being easily damaged. The previous owner had already installed iridium spark plugs and they looked great. The plug wires I made also came with extra shielding and I added an extra rubber cover for durability and protection. The extra shielding should reduce arcing, but again, I have not checked that. I would have to go back and look up the specs on the plug wires I made, but I know they were significantly better and more durable than the OEM ones. I still have a set of OEM ones that I have not installed, but think I would select something different if I replace the plug wires again. My suspicion is the O2 sensor, but I do not know how to check it. Several years ago there was an Evoluzione O2 modifier that looked like a reasonable replacement, but I do not think they still make or market them. Still open for ideas and will check out the ones suggested.

3Willie
03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
I cleaned the throttle body during Spring 2012. It was really clean at the time, but followed procedures and cleaned again about a year ago.

NancysToy
03-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Well, O2 sensors are pretty cheap, so if you suspect it, it should not be horribly expensive or difficult to change it. One other possibility, if that isn't the cure, is valves. At the end of your list they would be worth a check...as could be a compression test. Lots of possibilities. You'll just have to read the plugs and check them one at a time. Also be sure it isn't Miss Nanny kicking in, either the rev limiter or the VSS due to cranking open the throttle before you get the handlebars straightened out in a tight turn.