PDA

View Full Version : 14000 mile Service

jtpollock
03-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Help! Can anyone please tell me what the 14000 mile service should cost and how long it should take I will also need all three tires got to get done befor I head out to Spyderfest :pray: Thank for any help in this area.

Jeriatric
03-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Help! Can anyone please tell me what the 14000 mile service should cost and how long it should take I will also need all three tires got to get done befor I head out to Spyderfest :pray: Thank for any help in this area.

That's a major service because it includes a valve check. If you're going by the book. With tires and all, you may need to get a second on your house. It won't be cheap.

Best bet. Call a dealer and get a quote.

ARtraveler
03-18-2013, 01:30 PM
That service can run you about $1000.00 (not a mis-print). The valve check portion is $600 to $800 depending on your dealer. Most people are not doing valve checks until 28,000 miles or later. Most of us that have done the valve checks have found they needed no adjustments. I have paid out $1200 so far for nothing.

Service with the valve check will add 5-6 hours of shop time. Add three tires, and your dealer may have the :spyder2: for a couple days worth of work and shop time. Hopefully, your dealer is not one who holds spyders hostage for a week at a time before they even look at it.

A word of caution though--the valve check service is your call and is a calculated risk.

There was a thread covering this subject yesterday. I will go back and find it and add the link to this post.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?49809-Valve-adjustment-question

jerpinoy
03-18-2013, 01:32 PM
That is scary if you you have to get second on you house. Perhaps its cheaper just to get a new :spyder2:.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Jeriatric
03-18-2013, 01:36 PM
That is scary if you you have to get second on you house. Perhaps its cheaper just to get a new :spyder2:.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Glad you're laughing......it was tongue in cheek. Sorta :roflblack:

billybovine
03-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Lot's to do at 14,000 miles

Wiredux
03-18-2013, 01:46 PM
With all that is needed to be done this is something I would not skip.

SpyRyd
03-18-2013, 02:00 PM
With all that is needed to be done this is something I would not skip.

Lots of folks have opted out of the valve check at the 14000 mile maintenance...think I might also. Also can't help wonder why BRP calls for replacement of the iridium plugs in the 2012 RT Ltd at 14000 miles...any guess?

scooterexpress
03-18-2013, 02:12 PM
i'm so glad that i took the maintenence plan from my dealer this will cost me nothing but a couple of days without the spyder.wow 1200 thats alot i think i paid about 1200 for the mtc program which includes this upcoming service at 14k.

captblack
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Best thing ever was to get the maintenance plan. I just had my second major, this one at 25K. Invoice total was right at $700 at Jacksonville Powersports - but with the service plan it didn't cost anything at this time. The plan I have includes tires and brakes so I plan to get my moneys worth in the next 3 years ;).

SpyRyd
03-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Best thing ever was to get the maintenance plan. The plan I have includes tires and brakes so I plan to get my moneys worth in the next 3 years ;).

:agree: Mx plan is great if you keep your Spyder long enough to take advantage of it. I purchased a mx plan for my HD but unfortunately had to sell it less than 18 months after buying it and with about 2000 miles on it due to some back surgeries. Paid over $2k for the mx plan which was non-transferable to the new owner. Sure didn't get my monies worth out of that one. Asked my dealer about a mx plan when I purchased my 2012 RT Ltd but he didn't offer a mx plan...wish he did. He does give those of us who purchased our Spyders from him a 20% discount on all service and parts.

I think you got one heck of a mx plan for it to include tires and brakes. Wish I had it!

major911
03-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Lot's to do at 14,000 miles

Interesting note at the bottom. "valve check must be performed more often if ridden frequently at high RPM's" I thought we were supposed to ride these spyders at high rpm's. Does this mean it's bad for the valves?
:dontknow:

Jeriatric
03-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Interesting note at the bottom. "valve check must be performed more often if ridden frequently at high RPM's" I thought we were supposed to ride these spyders at high rpm's. Does this mean it's bad for the valves?
:dontknow:

Inspect more frequently if driving at high RPM

(10% of the time higher than 6000 RPM)

Sarge707
03-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Lots of folks have opted out of the valve check at the 14000 mile maintenance...think I might also. Also can't help wonder why BRP calls for replacement of the iridium plugs in the 2012 RT Ltd at 14000 miles...any guess?

My 09 Had 18,000 Miles when I replaced the Normal NGK plugs and they were fine!

I really wonder if you had a spy video camera How Much of this $1,000 service gets done?

If you do things a little at a time you can do it ALL yourself except the valve check .

And you know its been done!!!nojoke

jerpinoy
03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Well some of us are defendant in some areas of our everyday life. $2000 for mx plan sounds ok for some.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-18-2013, 06:14 PM
,.,.,k..

bhfromme
03-18-2013, 07:12 PM
When buying a Spyder you need to realize right up front that it's not a Honda. These things NEED maintenance. But that's not a bad thing. Just buy a pre-paid maintenance plan and be done with it.

Bill

Tierhog
03-18-2013, 09:35 PM
I did the 14k and my friends 14k minus the valve check. Total cost per Spyder? 250$ tops. Once you learn to how to take the coffin out, it's a breeze. I didnt change brake or clutch fluid though.. I'm doing brakes next. These aren't hard to work on.

jtpollock
03-19-2013, 07:04 AM
WOW!!! I did not expect to get this kind of a responce but Thanks to ALL :bowdown::bowdown: Good info I think I will forgo the valve check but do all the rest. I am running the Royal Purple Oil and am supplying that at the time of the service has anyone used the purple ice in the coolant syatem. One more THANKS to ALL :yes::yes:. Keep the rubber side down. jtpollock

currin20fan
03-19-2013, 08:42 AM
When buying a Spyder you need to realize right up front that it's not a Honda. These things NEED maintenance. But that's not a bad thing. Just buy a pre-paid maintenance plan and be done with it.

Bill

Hmmm.....and where would one buy a Maintenance Plan?:)

bhfromme
03-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Hmmm.....and where would one buy a Maintenance Plan?:)

All dealers offer them. They get their money upfront and in return give you a good buy on maintenance.

Beaufort is not far from Ladsden. I've always heard good things about Velocity Powersports in Ladsden. You should call and get a price on their prepaid maintenance plans.

Bill

NancysToy
03-19-2013, 05:35 PM
All dealers offer them. They get their money upfront and in return give you a good buy on maintenance.

Beaufort is not far from Ladsden. I've always heard good things about Velocity Powersports in Ladsden. You should call and get a price on their prepaid maintenance plans.

Bill
All dealers do not offer them. Some do, some don't. Very few do up here.

SpyRyd
03-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Bill

Not all dealers...mine didn't and I specifically asked about it.

rdukingpin
03-19-2013, 08:12 PM
My dealer offered a pre-paid maintnance plan.It was based on miliage and time.We estimated by the time we got to the expensive maintenance work our plan would have run out of time.Not sure about that now.

bhfromme
03-19-2013, 09:15 PM
All dealers do not offer them. Some do, some don't. Very few do up here.

Interesting. Here in Florida I called four dealers and they all offered pre-paid maintenance plans.

I bought mine for $1700. It's good for three years or six services whichever comes first. I do about 15,000 miles a year so it'll be a good deal. I'll get two of the major services and four minors which if paying per visit would end up costing well over $2500.

thehawk
03-19-2013, 09:23 PM
with 13,700 on the clock, i asked the dealer today and was told $720 plus parts. drop off close of business on Tuesday, pick it up COB the next day.

i have a BEST warranty but no maintenance plan.

thehawk

bhfromme
03-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Jacksonville Powersports has the best one but they are just too far away. $2000 buys their platinum plan which is 3 years or 6 services and also includes free brakes and tires and 10% off any purchase from their parts department.

Plus they have the best mechanic around. Yes Colin that's you! He was my Spyder God until I moved to Southwest Florida!

Bill