PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Me.

BuddaBelly
03-18-2013, 08:48 AM
I lost the panel on my 2012 RT SE5 where you check your oil. Somewhere between Daytona and home. Dealership changed oil just before I came to Daytona. Is this a common problem? Any recalls for this issue?

CyncySpyder
03-18-2013, 08:55 AM
They did have a 'Bulliten' about replacing one of those grommets, I bet yours wasn't replaced. Either way, especially if your dealer was the last to touch that panel, you need to call & inform them so they can order you a new one on their dime, as its their fault. Many of us have also added a wire tie or velcro just as an extra 'Just In Case/Better Safe Than Sorry' counter measure. After having the grommet replaced, I haven't heard many complaints about it since. Just an FYI, if memory serves, thats around a $160 panel, so don't let them try in put the cost on you :lecturef_smilie:

mrfats
03-18-2013, 09:51 AM
That's another plus for the Baker Airwings...they hold those panels together.

Hberninger
03-18-2013, 09:56 AM
I am reading this with much interest. My "oil tank" panel comes off with very little resistance compared to the right side. Maybe I need to add either a wire tie or some Velcro.

bruiser
03-18-2013, 10:20 AM
2012 should have the updated grommets. I would bet they didn't get it back on correctly. It takes some good force to get my oil panel off of my 2012 RTS. I had to replace the grommets on BB's 2010 RTS.

SpyderAnn01
03-18-2013, 10:26 AM
It is a good idea to check your panels on both sides after every service appointment I had one that was trying to come off after my Spyder had been serviced. I have velcro on both of my panels so it held it on but the bottom of the panel was flapping around.

jerpinoy
03-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Now I'm getting worried for my 2012 RT. Just recent post reports coolant leak, lost panel.:yikes:

Looks like I need a MOD kit of Zip ties, Velcro, 1,000 miles tape, self tapping screws and more:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.

bikeguy
03-18-2013, 11:11 AM
It is a good idea to check your panels on both sides after every service appointment I had one that was trying to come off after my Spyder had been serviced. I have velcro on both of my panels so it held it on but the bottom of the panel was flapping around.

:agree: The service department at my dealer generally does a very good job but they almost always fail to get the "hooks" on those panels fastened properly.

I lost the right side panel on my 2010 RT with less than 100 miles on it. Since they had just put it together, the dealership assumed that they had not installed it properly and replaced it at their expense. I lost the left side panel a little later but it was before BRP came out with a service campaign to glue the grommets in place. My dealer filed a warranty claim and BRP replaced the panel under warranty. Since then, BRP has issued service campaigns to glue the grommets in place and to actually replace the grommets with better ones. I've had no problems after that but I always check after every service to be sure the panels are properly installed.

Cotton

RTVIPER
03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
I always do a complete walk around of my :spyder2: after having any service done. I look for scratches, panels not secure, etc. It's a good habit to get into.

jerpinoy
03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Now I'm getting worried for my 2012 RT. Just recent post reports coolant leak, lost panel.:yikes:

Looks like I need a MOD kit of Zip ties, Velcro, 1,000 miles tape, self tapping screws and more:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.

Chupaca
03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Seems that the second securing idea is the best. Double checking is always good idea especially if some one else has been into your bike..coming from a place where things are lifted if they are not nailed screwed or glued down we had all panels secured. :thumbup:

StanProff
03-18-2013, 12:19 PM
I am reading this with much interest. My "oil tank" panel comes off with very little resistance compared to the right side. Maybe I need to add either a wire tie or some Velcro.

I put 3 or 4 black wire ties together and if a panel were to come off (they never have yet) at least they would dangle in the wind and not get away.:thumbup:

BuddaBelly
03-19-2013, 07:11 AM
:clap:I stopped by my Dealer on my way home from work yesterday, and they are going to replace this panel under warranty for me. Should be here next week.

These folks go way above and beyond what I used to deal with at a Harley dealership service dept. That was ALWAYS a fight to get anything done right the first time. Allmost to the point of dragging the Service Mgr. across the counter. But, I won. He quit and moved to who cares where.

Not so at my Spyder dealer.

I ordered my CB radio and all the goodies that go with it, they are going to install it and my air horn. Their Graphics Dept. is helping me design my graphis for the Frunk.

Wife has informed me, after going to Daytona, we are going to put some TricLed lights on the Budda Buggy.;)