PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake

SllimG
03-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Changed my rear brake pads about 3000 miles back. I have adjusted the parking brake a few times and now there is no more adjustment left. I checked the front of the cable at the foot lever and it doesn't appear to be adjustable. The rear of the cable has no more thread for adjusting and there is plenty left on the brake pads. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Chupaca
03-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Past threads for the how to. There is a re-positioning of the adjuster putting the cable adjuster back to the original position. :dontknow:

wyliec
03-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Look at post #5...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?14022-another-parking-brake-question&highlight=parking+brake

billybovine
03-18-2013, 07:41 AM
How to video

http://youtu.be/qnIgEZ1pgRw

wyliec
03-18-2013, 09:34 AM
billybovine,

I haven't tried the method that you posted; I've used the other method. But, I do have a question. If you use the video instructions, there's nothing to stop you from placing the arm at various positions on the spline shaft; is that true? With the other method, you are locating the arm at a specific location, touching or as close as possible to the stop.

Just curious. Not saying one way is better than the other.

billybovine
03-18-2013, 10:02 AM
I have used that method and it worked just fine for me. If you notice he loosened the jam nut closet to the lever and when he was done he tightened the same nut so the threaded adjustment ends up to be the same. So if you have run out of adjustment room with the nuts I would adjust them back to the middle before using the procedure in the video. The fellow in the video does not say it but you keep the cable tight when you put the lever back on. That pulls the slack out of the cable, the nut against the bracket and gets you to put it on the correct spline to end up with the correct adjustment.

I have also noticed on some previous other posts that people are adjusting their parking brake because it will not engage, release or the pedal will not return to the full up position. That's not an adjustment problem, it's an cleaning and lubrication problem with the pedal mechanism.

billybovine
03-18-2013, 02:31 PM
billybovine,

I haven't tried the method that you posted; I've used the other method. But, I do have a question. If you use the video instructions, there's nothing to stop you from placing the arm at various positions on the spline shaft; is that true? With the other method, you are locating the arm at a specific location, touching or as close as possible to the stop.

Just curious. Not saying one way is better than the other.

According to the service manual, with the spring, cable removed pushing on the lever until the brake engages there should only be 1 to 3 mm gap between the lever and the stop.

jerpinoy
03-18-2013, 05:18 PM
My parking brake is electrically operated.

SllimG
03-18-2013, 09:37 PM
I moved the arm. Adjustment nuts are now centered and parking brake is working fine. Thanks for the help!