PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Riding

jenmom22
03-17-2013, 08:52 AM
I haven't been on for awhile (was having issues with posting, and been super busy)...

Question - I am very interested in doing a saddlesore (the first step in being an Iron Butt member). I have the standard seat on my 2012 RSS. Do you think this is possible (the 1000 miles in 24 hours) with the standard seat, or should I put it off, until I can find/install an upgraded seat?

If I should put it off, what and where should I get as an upgraded seat?

Thanks!!!

Sam

I need to upgrade my picture - Charlotte (my yellow RS) was traded in for the matt green one in August - her name is Spitfire...

Bob Denman
03-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Rather than go for the big-bucks solution; perhaps a cushioning pad would do the trick? :dontknow:
Something like an AirHawk R, or the ubiquitous Wal-Mart Gel pad?

docdoru
03-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Did the 1000, 1,500 and 50CC with the OEM seat. You should have no problems. :doorag:

vrodrjs
03-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Only you can tell if you can do 1000 miles on the stock seat. Try 300 miles and see how you feel. If you can do that and be comfortable then go do 500 and see how you feel. I have never done 1000 in 24 but I've done 700 a couple times in a day. By the end of the day I don't think any seat is going to be that comfortable.

Chupaca
03-17-2013, 11:21 AM
There are no end to the seat threads here. Now like so many other things no two butts are alike. You will have to be the judge of that yourself. If, like mentioned above, you have the time to slowly test the distances you will know. I would do the trip and then decide. My wife and I ryde on the OEM seat on our RS and have no problems. You could pick up a gel pad etc for the trip back...:dontknow:

Bob Denman
03-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Did the 1000, 1,500 and 50CC with the OEM seat. You should have no problems. :doorag:

But Doc :shocked:;
I've heard stories... you ride so fast; that you're so busy concentrating on what's in front of you that you forget what's BEHIND you! :roflblack: :thumbup:

Sarge707
03-17-2013, 11:26 AM
I have never gone more than 150 miles in an afternoon?:roflblack: BUT the person who sold me the Alaska sheepskin said its best to go stock for a while, then put on the Sheepskin for a while, then maybe the Beadriders for a while and then back around again?
Variety will spice up your rear end so its happy!:yes::yes::yes:

Bob Denman
03-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Does your Better-Half know how you feel about variety?? :shocked: :roflblack: :joke:

budro
03-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Sheep skin is your answer, but it must be a "shearling" so that the knap does not lay flat. I have been using them for 20 yrs & they do the job----Budro

BikerDoc
03-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Last year coming back from Spyderfest I rode 850 miles then slept five hrs then rode another 250 miles to home easily within the 24 hrs with a stock seat but with utopia drivers backrest did more than that on the trip to the Adirondacks. I am 66 yrs old, have bad back, bad Knees, and sometimes a bad mood. But I just don't get all the whining about the stock seat. I rode 25000 miles on mine this past year & plan for more the next year without touching the seat[QUOTE][/QUOTEes

SporterSpider
03-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I believe first I would increase my mileage on my rides and see how your stock seat feels to you. Then purchase(if you can not find some one to lend you one item to try out before you pruchase it) maybe a gel pad, BeadRider, or an inexpensive Air Hawk and try these out before you decide to upgrade to a better and more expensive seat. I have tried all three of these items on my RS before I purchased my Corbin seat. For me, none of these items worked but, each person is different. When I do my saddlesore this year I will have one of these items on top of my new seat. Go to Iron Butt.com they have a lot of good info for you to look at. You can contact Mr. Orange on Spyderlovers he has done the SaddleSore 1000 and the Bun Burner 1500 I am sure he could help you. I am going to Moonshine Lunch Run again this year, they do a SaddleSore from there web sight. Good riding to you and, I hope to see you at one of the Iron Butt functions. Ride Safe & Long!:yes:

StriperKing
03-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Kinda off the topic but all my friends ride Harleys. Our local Harley dealer has a seat loner program. They took one of every seat, OEM and aftermarket, painted orange letters on them "trial seat" and you can sign them out for a day or weekend till you find the seat you like before you buy it. I know their volume is way more but this is a great program. Just an idea for the dealers who can support this.

As for me my Corbin is worth every penny.

Bob Denman
03-17-2013, 01:43 PM
I LIKE that idea! :clap:

StanProff
03-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Only you can tell if you can do 1000 miles on the stock seat. Try 300 miles and see how you feel. If you can do that and be comfortable then go do 500 and see how you feel. I have never done 1000 in 24 but I've done 700 a couple times in a day. By the end of the day I don't think any seat is going to be that comfortable.

I agree. Most people will get a little numb after a few hundred miles no matter what seat you have. I carry the walmart gel pad that works wonders on the last third of a long day. It changes the pressure points and feels great.

ARtraveler
03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
The OEM is a little soft for my taste and I would have to get off after 50 miles or so to get the circulation back.

That said, my situation is not necessarily yours. Give the OEM a try and maybe bring along a sheepskin gel pad, or an Airhawk to help.

New seats are the next step--but be prepared to spend between $600 and $1000 for most. The BRP Comfort seat is okay at $595 but others like Corbin, Ultimate seem to be better. I am a Corbin person.

jenmom22
03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
There are no end to the seat threads here. Now like so many other things no two butts are alike. You will have to be the judge of that yourself. If, like mentioned above, you have the time to slowly test the distances you will know. I would do the trip and then decide. My wife and I ryde on the OEM seat on our RS and have no problems. You could pick up a gel pad etc for the trip back...:dontknow: ge

Thanks! I think I'll go get the gel pack thingie. I do like riding my girl, and will pick up longer and longer rides, until I find out when my butt gives out.:yikes:

jvicker
03-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Kinda off the topic but all my friends ride Harleys. Our local Harley dealer has a seat loner program. They took one of every seat, OEM and aftermarket, painted orange letters on them "trial seat" and you can sign them out for a day or weekend till you find the seat you like before you buy it. I know their volume is way more but this is a great program. Just an idea for the dealers who can support this.

As for me my Corbin is worth every penny.

Ok, who's willing to put a big silver BRP on their Corbin and ship it around? :dontknow::roflblack:

major911
03-18-2013, 04:22 PM
I've done several 300+ trips on my BRP comfort seat with no complaints. I expect now that I have a backrest I'll go even further comfortably. :doorag:

SPYD3R
03-18-2013, 04:53 PM
twice, i did 635 miles in 1 day... from Greenville, SC to Clearwater, FL... then 2 days later made the return trip... OMG, was my butt sore.... if it weren't for an extra sweatshirt folded over to cushion me, i don't know what i'd have done... i'm good for 400 miles, after that the fun runs out of me... :gaah:

however, what's this GEL SEAT @ WALMARTS.... i couldn't find anything on the web, can somebody post a link to that thing, please....

Bob Denman
03-18-2013, 05:06 PM
:agree: Tell where they keep them in Wally-Mart! :shocked: :thumbup:

Bob Ledford
03-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Your hinny is your only answer

jerpinoy
03-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Switching make more better. It's like your feet are more compy if you switch shoes every other day shoe doctor advice. Maybe iron butt doctor will advice differently.:roflblack::roflblack:.

bikeguy
03-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi jenmom, nice to see you on the forum again. Lots of good advice about various seats and pads. Personally, I think stopping and resting for just a bit fairly often is the key to riding a long way in reasonable comfort. One nice thing about the Spyder's limited range is that it makes you stop a little more often. I usually try to stop about every 125 miles if fuel is available. Take a little time to stretch your legs and rub your bottom and you'll be surprised how many of those little 125 mile hops you can do in a day. Only takes 8 of them to equal an iron butt day.

Cotton

BajaRon
03-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Only your butt knows for sure. I've done more than 1 1,000 mile + day and 1 1,400 mile + day with the OEM seat on a 2008 GS. I've fine with it. It may well be I'd be more comfortable with an aftermarket seat but I've not tried one.

Seats seem to be a hit an miss item. What works for many doesn't work for everyone and vise-versa.

boborgera
03-18-2013, 07:56 PM
The most i've rode in one day [08Gs stock seat] was about 575 miles, But i did have an two hour stop' half way into the ride. I had no problems with the seat, :dontknow:

Mexican
03-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Jenmom, my wife did 980 miles in 17 hrs last year, 15 minutes after she parked the Spyder she was on the field playing the soccer finals, which by the way they won!:clap:
She is 41 years old and she did not complain about the seat, she says she like it just the way it is.
Will do it allover again next may (if i can handle it):opps:

prmurat
03-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Sorry for asking: are these Iron Butt, 50CC etc open to 3 wheelers (Spyder/Trike) ??? Having rode non stop 600 miles a few time on my RT, I feel that "regular motorcyclist" competing in these marathon are the real heroes... IMHO there is nothing to be proud about doing in it on a 3 wheeler (apart of a sidecar!!)...

otter28169
03-19-2013, 06:10 AM
Last year coming back from Spyderfest I rode 850 miles then slept five hrs then rode another 250 miles to home easily within the 24 hrs with a stock seat but with utopia drivers backrest did more than that on the trip to the Adirondacks. I am 66 yrs old, have bad back, bad Knees, and sometimes a bad mood. But I just don't get all the whining about the stock seat. I rode 25000 miles on mine this past year & plan for more the next year without touching the seat[QUOTE][/QUOTEes

You ride an RT, the RS-S seat is hard and sloped at each side to make "Hanging Ham" that much easier. I have put 250 miles on my sled in a day on rough trails (not like the groomed ones you see in all the pictures), and been fine. That seat on the RS-S would have my tailbone hurting before the 150 mile mark. This might be an issue doe to my large size and weight (275 lbs). I have put on the comfort seat and hope it will make a difference.

joet82
03-21-2013, 08:11 PM
I did my SS1000 on the way to SpyderFest with my 09 RS and original stock seat. I went from Lakeside, CA, to Amarillo, TX, in 21 hours and 50 minutes. the thing that suprised me most, was that after I got through the first 4 hours, with my body screaming at me almost all the way cause of temps and I'd never been on it for that extended period of time for a long while...my body settled in for the long haul and I had no major issues afterwards except at breaks and gas stations where getting on and off, my butt would regain contact with the nerve endings. lol and as some other ryders have said. it's all up to you. your body will tell you wether you should go on or not.

as they say in Spyder Ryder of America - San Diego Chapter preryde meetings, RYDE YOUR RYDE. ryde how you're comfortable, if something sends you warning signs, take them into consideration and make a decision, keep going, take a break, or just stop completely.

Good luck and hope you are able to find out what it truly means to eb "SADDLESORE". haha

docdoru
03-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Sorry for asking: are these Iron Butt, 50CC etc open to 3 wheelers (Spyder/Trike) ??? Having rode non stop 600 miles a few time on my RT, I feel that "regular motorcyclist" competing in these marathon are the real heroes... IMHO there is nothing to be proud about doing in it on a 3 wheeler (apart of a sidecar!!)...
Yes they are all open; one should try IB for themselves and the Spyder, not for the proud, IMHO. :doorag:

Bob Denman
03-22-2013, 07:48 AM
:agree: :bowdown: :thumbup:
Nobody should have to prove anything, to anybody but themselves... :shocked:

NancysToy
03-22-2013, 08:09 AM
I understand where you are coming from, but that opens a huge can of worms. Is doing it on a 60's Brit bike more of an achievement than on a Goldwing. How about a 1908 Harley? Best to leave this as a personal measure of performance and endurance, where only the rider has any specific hoop to jump through. As long as you do it with the wind in your face and the sun on your shoulders, it's all good.

Bootie
03-22-2013, 09:01 AM
I understand where you are coming from, but that opens a huge can of worms. Is doing it on a 60's Brit bike more of an achievement than on a Goldwing. How about a 1908 Harley? Best to leave this as a personal measure of performance and endurance, where only the rider has any specific hoop to jump through. As long as you do it with the wind in your face and the sun on your shoulders, it's all good.:agree::agree:

steve635
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but that opens a huge can of worms. Is doing it on a 60's Brit bike more of an achievement than on a Goldwing. How about a 1908 Harley? Best to leave this as a personal measure of performance and endurance, where only the rider has any specific hoop to jump through. As long as you do it with the wind in your face and the sun on your shoulders, it's all good.

I've never done a 1,000 mile day, but I have done 750, (El Paso to Houston) on a 97 HD Road King. At mostly 70 mph on the I - 10, I don't think the Spyder would be significantly less tiring.

Wiredux
03-22-2013, 12:28 PM
So I am going to be doing my SS1000 going to spyderfest this year. I have the stock seat on a 2012 RT. Ill let you know at spyderfest how it was.

Bob Denman
03-23-2013, 08:29 AM
We'll all be pulling for you! :2thumbs::2thumbs:

BeachSpyder
03-23-2013, 09:41 AM
As to eligibility for IronButt status, it was originally only for those who competed in the rally, and then they found their numbers dwindling, so they opened the "IronButt" classification to anyone that completed a certified Saddlesore 1000 ( this was explained at this years annual banquet). The only competition that is restricted to two wheels is the rally, though I think you will see more restrictions in the future. I have done two saddlesore challenges in the last two months, and the Spyder is a forgiving platform for accomplishing this task. It allows you to carry more luggage than a traditional bike, and lets you get away with the addle minded mistakes that come with 18+ hours on a bike. The necessity for frequent gas stops is a true Achilles heel for using the Spyder, and handling at speed can be less than stellar. On my rt, I am lucky to get 22mpg at 80mph, so the gas stops come too often.
As to the seat question, the variables deal as much with your personal geometry (height, weight, inseam, how do you carry the weight etc) as it does the bike geometry. In my case, I needed a semi-firm seat with extra room for my big butt, along with 29" inseam, and desire for a seat rest. I ended up buying an ultimate seat because it was ready quickly, did not make me stay off bike for 4-6 weeks without a saddle, was moderately priced, and came with good recommendations. I also use a sheepskin covered gel pad that I switch on and off over the 1000+ miles. After 600 miles on any saddle, you will gladly sit on thumbtacks just for a different feeling. After 800 miles your ass is not your primary concern anymore, at least not the one you sit on! Hallucinations, knee pain, wrist pain, chapped lips, chapped face, hunger, thirst, time remaining for completion....these take up your time more. And your next gas stop. Especially on an RT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
03-23-2013, 12:14 PM
:shocked: You've really done a good job of making it sound like... fun! :yikes: :roflblack: :joke:

Bob Denman
03-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Time for the goat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnZ01Mtzjr8

bruiser
03-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Don't forget the MonkeyButt nojoke

jenmom22
03-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi jenmom, nice to see you on the forum again. Lots of good advice about various seats and pads. Personally, I think stopping and resting for just a bit fairly often is the key to riding a long way in reasonable comfort. One nice thing about the Spyder's limited range is that it makes you stop a little more often. I usually try to stop about every 125 miles if fuel is available. Take a little time to stretch your legs and rub your bottom and you'll be surprised how many of those little 125 mile hops you can do in a day. Only takes 8 of them to equal an iron butt day.

Cotton

I like the idea of the sheepskin, and I'll check out the Walmart gel. I think the gas stops might be the best bet. I know I can get 140 out of a tank, but I plan on riding with several riders, and I think I'll go the "I need to get gas" route.

Thanks!!!

jenmom22
03-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Yes they are all open; one should try IB for themselves and the Spyder, not for the proud, IMHO. :doorag:

Well - seems to me that any Iron Butt ride is not a casual thing - takes endurance no matter what you ride/ryde. When I brought it up (that I want to do this) to the group, no one said, "oh, no you ride three wheels." I ride with a group of women - called L.O.W. riders (Ladies on Wheels), where we have trikes, Wings, Victories, Hondas, Harleys and a couple of Spyders. It takes all kinds, and like some above have mentioned, ryde your ride.

WHEN I do this, I know I will be proud of ME and my Spyder.

jenmom22
03-23-2013, 09:14 PM
As to eligibility for IronButt status, it was originally only for those who competed in the rally, and then they found their numbers dwindling, so they opened the "IronButt" classification to anyone that completed a certified Saddlesore 1000 ( this was explained at this years annual banquet). The only competition that is restricted to two wheels is the rally, though I think you will see more restrictions in the future. I have done two saddlesore challenges in the last two months, and the Spyder is a forgiving platform for accomplishing this task. It allows you to carry more luggage than a traditional bike, and lets you get away with the addle minded mistakes that come with 18+ hours on a bike. The necessity for frequent gas stops is a true Achilles heel for using the Spyder, and handling at speed can be less than stellar. On my rt, I am lucky to get 22mpg at 80mph, so the gas stops come too often.
As to the seat question, the variables deal as much with your personal geometry (height, weight, inseam, how do you carry the weight etc) as it does the bike geometry. In my case, I needed a semi-firm seat with extra room for my big butt, along with 29" inseam, and desire for a seat rest. I ended up buying an ultimate seat because it was ready quickly, did not make me stay off bike for 4-6 weeks without a saddle, was moderately priced, and came with good recommendations. I also use a sheepskin covered gel pad that I switch on and off over the 1000+ miles. After 600 miles on any saddle, you will gladly sit on thumbtacks just for a different feeling. After 800 miles your ass is not your primary concern anymore, at least not the one you sit on! Hallucinations, knee pain, wrist pain, chapped lips, chapped face, hunger, thirst, time remaining for completion....these take up your time more. And your next gas stop. Especially on an RT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome write-up!
A couple of notes --
a) The RS doesn't have much trunk space (granted, more than a two wheel that doesn't have saddlebags). I usually keep a blanket in there, my rain gear and I can stuff a backpack in it. I figured for a SS1000, I wouldn't need more than that (with a change of clothes in the backpack).
b) My girl gets me 30-32 mpg, but I think I like the idea of stopping/resting every 125 miles or so. I might change my mind after the first couple of stops...

Thanks for your input - taken to heart and butt!

NancysToy
03-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Awesome write-up!
A couple of notes --
a) The RS doesn't have much trunk space (granted, more than a two wheel that doesn't have saddlebags). I usually keep a blanket in there, my rain gear and I can stuff a backpack in it. I figured for a SS1000, I wouldn't need more than that (with a change of clothes in the backpack).
b) My girl gets me 30-32 mpg, but I think I like the idea of stopping/resting every 125 miles or so. I might change my mind after the first couple of stops...

Thanks for your input - taken to heart and butt!
Remember that your endurance and well-being is just as important as that of the machine. Better to take time every 125 miles when you get gas to rehydrate yourself and get a snack or meal, and spend an extra hour in your journey to make it back up, than to over-tire or dehydrate yourself and have to abort the trip...or get sleepy or punchy toward the end.

BeachSpyder
03-24-2013, 03:43 AM
Why the $&ck can't we have a like button for good posts? Excellent reply and I think she has plenty to chew on now from all of us. I am constantly amazed at the quality of responses we get to questions posed to this group. Excellent!

otter28169
03-24-2013, 06:29 AM
Why the $&ck can't we have a like button for good posts? Excellent reply and I think she has plenty to chew on now from all of us. I am constantly amazed at the quality of responses we get to questions posed to this group. Excellent!

Look right between our two posts and you will see the thumb's up, that's how you like a post. Is that what you mean?

Just sayin'............

spydaman60
03-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Last year coming back from Spyderfest I rode 850 miles then slept five hrs then rode another 250 miles to home easily within the 24 hrs with a stock seat but with utopia drivers backrest did more than that on the trip to the Adirondacks. I am 66 yrs old, have bad back, bad Knees, and sometimes a bad mood. But I just don't get all the whining about the stock seat. I rode 25000 miles on mine this past year & plan for more the next year without touching the seat[QUOTE][/QUOTEesdid brp take a mold of your butt to make their stock seat?(just joking:joke:) each butt is different, and you must be one of the lucky ones to match their design. I couldn't take 300 miles without changing mine, however, I go 260 pounds and they didn't ask me for a mold of mine!:roflblack: by the way, wife and I have an ultimate and we love it!

SPYD1
03-24-2013, 01:31 PM
I have never gone more than 150 miles in an afternoon?:roflblack: BUT the person who sold me the Alaska sheepskin said its best to go stock for a while, then put on the Sheepskin for a while, then maybe the Beadriders for a while and then back around again?
Variety will spice up your rear end so its happy!:yes::yes::yes:
I totally agree. Sitting in anything for that long will bother most. You need something to adjust your pressure points.

Iride
03-27-2013, 08:45 PM
I bought a used 2011 RSS (stock, no mods) in December 2012 and did a Saddle Sore 1000 right after I got it. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and found the stock seat very comfortable. I've done Iron Butt rides on my Yamaha FJR and my Kawasaki Concours and for me, the stock Spyder saddle is even more comfortable than my other bikes.

Bill in San Antonio, TX

I haven't been on for awhile (was having issues with posting, and been super busy)...

Question - I am very interested in doing a saddlesore (the first step in being an Iron Butt member). I have the standard seat on my 2012 RSS. Do you think this is possible (the 1000 miles in 24 hours) with the standard seat, or should I put it off, until I can find/install an upgraded seat?

If I should put it off, what and where should I get as an upgraded seat?

Thanks!!!

Sam

I need to upgrade my picture - Charlotte (my yellow RS) was traded in for the matt green one in August - her name is Spitfire...

Wiredux
03-27-2013, 08:55 PM
So I will be headed out to Spyderfest in 24 days. I will start a new thread when I head out and make sure I post pictures. I will have the spot running during the entire trip so yall can follow along if you are still at home and not on the road yet.

SPYDERGUY1
03-27-2013, 10:00 PM
have heard many thoughts/concerns/opinions regarding IRON BUTT, is this some sort of club ? Any info/ideas on this thought, how to become involved ? How is it proven ? Let the games begin. Thank's.

NancysToy
03-27-2013, 10:30 PM
http://www.ironbutt.com/

Aussie spyder
03-28-2013, 02:23 AM
I completed a SadelSore 2000/KM here down under using a Air Hawk cousing. no problem.

jwmcclellan
04-08-2013, 02:49 PM
My problem isn't that the OEM seat on my RT isn't uncomfortable; the problem is that on hot days while wearing bluejeans I feel like I'm getting a diaper rash from sweating so much. I don't know if the Airhawk would be good for keeping the butt cooler, or if I should wait until I can see what the sheepskin seats can do when I get to the SpyderFest. And I use powder before riding.

cjackg
04-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Try a "BeadRider"... Cool & comfortable!

NancysToy
04-08-2013, 07:01 PM
My problem isn't that the OEM seat on my RT isn't uncomfortable; the problem is that on hot days while wearing bluejeans I feel like I'm getting a diaper rash from sweating so much. I don't know if the Airhawk would be good for keeping the butt cooler, or if I should wait until I can see what the sheepskin seats can do when I get to the SpyderFest. And I use powder before riding.
Ahhh, the joys of having Monkey Butt! In all fairness, it is more the individual and the weather that determine how much you sweat and how much it bothers you...not the seat itself. Without other measures almost any seat can feel hot and sweaty...it is how comfortable it is that counts. If it doesn't fit, it will hurt.

There are exceptions. SpyderPops has a seat with ventilated fabric that does pretty well. I forget the brand, ask him. An Alaska Leather sheepskin can help. It seems like this would do the opposite, but it doesn't really. As mentioned, lots of folks swear by the BeadRider. If you don't have a bony butt like mine, it might work for you. That one breathes the best. Talcum powder or Monkey Butt Powder can help. Wicking polypropylene technical undergarments help, too. Just a side note...in the rain wicking undewear works in the opposite direction. If your raingear has a leak, it can soak up water like a sponge. Don't ask how I know. ;)